Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The tour prices are pretty high so perhaps most people only chose one. We chose the Philly tour because we wouldn't want to drive into Philly with our truck. However if we decide to go to Gettysburg, we can do that on our own. I went once all by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. If there are enough interested maybe we can drive over and take a tour or find a tour guide there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Another thought......

What's the plausibility of renting a 15 passenger van and have one of the tour members drive it? Likely, it'll cost less than what was allocated for the bus and the tour guide so we could divide the difference by 15 and refund accordingly.

Might even get two vans (more elbow room) and still have $$$ left to divvy up?

Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 AM   #17

I paid for the Gettysburg and REALLY want to go. It's a major part of our history and many of us will be in the area only this one time!! It seems shortsighted to miss this. If a bus or va cannot be found, how aoubt arranging a carpool group? We could each pitch some for gas for the driver.

Mike Pirosh
Old 05-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I googled Gettysburg tours and found this:
Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides

Licensed Guides available for hire at National Park Service. Step back in time in the comfort of your own car. A Licensed Battlefield Guide will bring to life the battle that raged for 3 days.

1-6 People: $40.00
7-15 People: $60.00
16-49 People: $90.00
50+ People: $120.00

Hours of Operation:
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Address and Contact information:
97 Taneytown Rd
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Phone: 717-334-1124 x477
Toll Free: 877-438-8929
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #19

Saw Lynn's response re: guided tours. That would be great!
How far is Gettysburg from our campground? Thanks in advance for answering.
I would be glad to drive a group of 4 in my car if anyone might be interested.

Thanks.

Mike Pirosh
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #20

I just called Gettysburg info line. The young lady said they need at least 10 days advance notice to book a guide. Also, it's $40.00 a group of 1-6 on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS. However, if we book it now, it would be $60.00 for 1-6, etc. I am going to book it for myself, so if anyone else is interested, please post it and I will wait two-three days and then book a guide for the number interested.

Lynn, it looks like you're interested. How does the above sound. You can also contact me directly: mpirosh@dc.rr.com

Mike Pirosh
Old 05-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #21

Mike, it is about 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive depending on traffic. There is alot to see in Gettysburg, unless you <span class="ev_code_RED">just</span> want to see the battlefield. Remember the guide will have to get in car with you. If someone has a van and wants to go it would be easier. I would definitely see Eisenhowers farm. I've been there 4 tiems and love it. The wax museum is a waste of money. If you are really interested. You can go to the Electric map (fee), to see the battles in lights. That is really cool. Also while you are there you can look at civil war stuff..old stuff. Let me check the website to see if anything has changed. It seems to me there was some remodeling going on. I'll get back to you. I can't find anything changed.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Sylvia and I are very interested in taking a tour of Gettysburg. We'll align to whatever plans are arranged, share in expenses, and carpool with our dually truck which holds 5 (including driver) if that's practical. Just let us know.

As an alternative to car pooling, I looked at the Budget Rent-A-Car online reservation and a 12 passenger van (E-350 or similar) is $120.82 including tax. 200 miles are allowed at the daily rate then it's 20 cents a mile thereafter. If we rented two of these there would be plenty room for us with 7 or 8 in each van plus we'd easily have room for two tour guides.

The negatives are that we'd have to go to the Harrisburg airport to get them and two of the tour members would have to drive the vans, then return them to the airport all in a 24 hour window.

Rick, you're the wagonmaster, what do you think?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Sylvia and I are very interested in taking a tour of Gettysburg. We'll align to whatever plans are arranged, share in expenses, and carpool with our dually truck which holds 5 (including driver) if that's practical. Just let us know.
Thank you, I accept!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #24

Harrisburg airport is a PITA. What is it that everyone wants to see? I can be tour guide BUT NOT BATTLEFIELD. I think you can also get a cassette tape to play while you drive. That way you can stay at one spot long enough and hit the stop button.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Its been awhile since we went but when we did go we parked our car and took a bus tour of the battlefield,it stopped at some of the momuments and was very informative.When we got back we crossed the street and took another bus tour that went to Eisenhowers home,which I really enjoyed. I don't remember the price,but neither one was very expensive.Be sure to look for the cannon balls still in the outside of homes on the main streets!
Dianne
Old 05-03-2005, 04:36 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynnvt

Judy, Donna, Dan, The Baby, and I took the Gettysburg tour you are talking about in our Motor Home last year. The guide was very informative. She was a wealth of information and we were able to do the tour in the comfort of our Motor Home. The $40.00 is well worth it.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
I will call the tour company one more time on Wed. and see if there are any options. I doubt it. The tape-guided tour is very good and you can go at your own pace. You can buy the tape at the Wax Museum.

Going to the airport to rent a van is not a good option. There may be van rentals right in Lancaster.

I'll get back to ya'll tomorrow.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Well I tried - no luck. Found out on Friday but could not get online until today. The tour company was unable to offer any other options.

I recommend the auto tape tour as a good, viable alternative. I have a copy of the tape and am willing to loan it to anyone who wants to borrow it.

RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote