Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
MONDAY HAPPENINGS -

There's just something about waking up in the middle of the country and seeing the full moon slowly disappearing, watching the deer grazing in the field ad hearing the sound of cattle moo-ing off in the distance. So many people last night were out walking around - all staring at the beautiful Texas sky and the stars seemed so close you could reach up and pluck one right out of the sky! A day in the country is worth a million in the city!

Yesterday was fabulous and we all are settling into country life quite well!

A few ventured off to Wal-Mart....and made it back! The "Wild Hog Gang" (Rusty Creekmore and Bob Wurch) took a 200 mile road trip on their bikes.

The triple digit temperature was daunting, but we managed to keep ourselves as cool as possible. Fussing was made in one sentence, but then we'd head over to someone's rig to sit and visit under their awning!

The kids -aging from 4-16 - had the best time - we began rehearsals for the Old West Play and later in the morning they gathered in the rally building for ROCK AND ROLL ICE CREAM!

Each was given a small plastic container filled with the makings for ice cream - then the container was placed inside a larger container with rock salt and ice cream. They rolled it back and forth until the cream hardened. I think it was a hit!

The Texas Hold'em Game is still going strong although I've seen a few people lose it all at the table and sadly leave the hall

Don Fauntleroy appears just fine today, although I'm sure his pride was injured more than his knees after falling off his "horse" the night before

Despite the temperatures - Ken Wilson, Randy Blair and Don F (and a posse of helpers) staved off the heat under a single tree and fired up the event grll for our grill out night! I couldn't tell if the "puffs of smoke" rising from the side of the building were smoke signals for help or an invitation to come get yer grub! Oh...we can't forget to mention the Texas sized spread laid out on the serving tables to complement the meals..... the best cooks in the world are right here in Perrin Texas tonight!

After supper, the kids gathered for another neat activity called "THE WAD"! They scrambled and it was a neck-to-neck competition to see who was going to get to the end of the wad first! The adults get their turn today with "THE WAD"!

Movie and popcorn, late night star gazing and visits around "simulated" campfires completed a perfect day!

I'm sure Don Allen (allendp) will be making a post here sometime today with a slideshow of the Monday Events!

Until tomorrow...Don't squat with yer spurs on!!!!

Sandy

Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #16
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Mondays PIX can be viewed Here

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sandy, Don, and the rest of the gang who are posting the updates and pictures, please keep doing the same.

Those of us who couldn't make the rally this year are missing the fun in person, but at least we can share the experience through your postings and pictures. It certainly looks like the whole gang is having a great time.

I'm glad to see those "Pond Piggie" kids involved in that ice cream making....we're going to make them show our kids how to "git er done"
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It's almost midnight and a group of us are headed to the Ft Worth Stockyards tomorrow morning....early....but I did not want to postpone the daily ahppenings here in Perrin, Texas!

First, let me confirm all the rumors...it is indeed blazing HOT - our first triple digits this summer just had to happen this week and we're all running around a little red faced from the heat. Even us Texans (who are supposed to be used to it) are hollering!

However, when camping friends get together, we'll make the best of whatever and still manage to have FUN!

Our day started with a fabulous breakfast by our caterers, Jan and Jerrell Cook. We ALL want them to join iRV2! They have been touched by the welcome they've received from new friends from across the country. It sure makes my buttons pop with pride to be a part of such a great group of folks!

After breakfast, we all did our "thing" through the morning and sweltered through the heat together! Bill Rowell held an excellent seminar on irv2 and showed our new folks to "how to's" on our great website. Even us "older" members learned a new thing or two! Dale Olson followed up the seminar with a computer mainenance program. All I saw was bunch of guys huddled over a computer so whatever they were doing, it must have been fun!

I have to brag a LOT here - we've got the neatest young people I've ever seen in my life!

Some of them, Kayleigh & Chase, Corrie and Alyssa, Ashley and Darby...I've watched grow up through the years at National Rallies. It been fun to introduce them to Samantha, Michael, Chance, David and Scott..and Kayleigh's friend Christina from Ohio and watch new friendships begin.

Tonight, durig the performance of Allen Hurt and the Heart of Texas, everyone was brought to their knees by these young people! They stepped outside the boundaries of shyness and had a ball!

Yes, the sandwich smorgasborg was awesome (isn't it always!!!!) and the band introduced many of us to a new world of bluegrass music that touched our hearts and made our toes tap......

but the defining moment was our young people ..in the midst of their bonding as a group of friends, stepping out to do something they would normally NEVER do...they reached out in love .......and danced with an angel!

I don't think there was an adult in that room tonight that wasn't humbled in the presence of our young people. I hope they will always dance...............

Until tomorrow night..
Sandy
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Day Three PIX can be viewed Here:
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike & Amber:
Having a really great time we came in early on Thursday, to get an early set up. Welcomed in many of the rigs comming in. Weather a bit warm but bearable, decent breeze most of the time. Beautiful park, nice 9 hole 3par golf course, nice pools, plenty for the adults and kidos to do. Last nights rodeo and dinner were fantastic. Pictures are being dowloaded now to post on the site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Mike & Amber...Are you uploading to a different photo site and not the iRV2 site? I have been monitoring the photo section waiting to approve photos but none are there yet...

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MM

We are using the texasboomers website for the PIX and I am posting a link to them on irv2 daily with Sandy's daily updates.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Wednesday Happenings -

Today was a free day and we all scattered to area places of interest and some stayed at the park and took full advantage of the a/c in the rally hall playing games!

As always, there's more activity inside and outside the park than we can do in one short week...but we're trying!

This morning a good group of us headed to the Ft Worth Stockyards - what an experience! The Yards are steeped in Texas history so it was exciting for us Texans to pay homage to our past, but equally exciting to those from other states to experience the "real west" as it was 100 years ago!

Every day at 11:30am, the cattle drivers herd the Texas Longhorns through the brick paved streets of the stockyard district - what a site to see! Folks, we're talking BIG BULLS! They are a common site in our neck of the woods, but to be that close is a thrill!

And many of us actually RODE A LONGHORN! I'm sure Don will be posting the photos soon of the experience! For $5, you could actually mount the bull (with the help of a real cowboy) and people lined up 2-3 deep to wait their chance!

I might have chickened out...maybe...but if Judy Hammett could get up there so could I. The bull was gentle, but when he did "shuffle" around, you were fully aware that your sitting on top of a 2000 pound animal. The span of his horns was longer than my armspan...he was HUGE!

Afterwards, we headed to eat and then took in Billy Bob's Texas...the largest dancehall in the states. I've always wanted to dance on the main floor at Billy Bob's...so this was one item to cross off my "bucket list"!!

I hear folks played LCR, dominoes and all sorts of things back at the park - so I'm sure none of us was bored today!

The day wound down about 11:30 pm with a good group of folks singing karaoke! We're not auditioning for American Idol nor giving up our day jobs, but we sure had fun.

Sharon Cadola brought the house down with her Patsy Cline songs and little Miss Darby Wheat stole our hearts with her 4 songs...by herself!!! Ashley Fauntleroy boogied out a tune or three (actually about 4) which was awesome!!!

I won't spill the beans though about our group of young folks singing YMCA and dancing the MACARENA by themselves...shhhh they don't want anyone to know they've come out of their shells!

From deep in the heart of Texas....we wish you a goodnight!

Sandy
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #22

Having a great time!! Wish you were here with us!

Madame Boomer <-- HUGZ
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Some Pictures for Wednesday activities can be viewed here:
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How many lucky families were able to make it to the Rally?
Enjoy the fun and friendship.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FC Ontario:
How many lucky families were able to make it to the Rally?
Enjoy the fun and friendship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Asking the same question today I was told there are 35 rigs. Seems there are about 75 folks plus a few more than a dozen children. Speaking of the kids, ranging in age between pre-school to high school, they have had a marvelous time. Sandy has thought of every thing that makes a Rally fun for everyone. All week the children prepared for a play based on the life of Doc Holiday which was performed this evening to a packed house at the outdoor stage area. What great fun for everyone.

Dear Sandy was just worn herself to a frazzle coordinating this super enjoyable event. As we parted the Rally Hall late this evening, after fun games together, she commented that her review of our daily activity to the forum would be posted in the morning after a good night's rest. Well deserved IMHO. I'll leave the honor of further detail to her regular post here.

Wilson's RV Park & Resort is simply a wonderful place to enjoy friends & family while camping. Please consider staying with the Wilson's next time you pass though north central Texas. 5 Stars in my book!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
THURSDAY HAPPENINGS

I tried to respond to FC Ontario's post last night, but alas the wi-fi was down for a short while and by the time it came back up I was fast asleep! Thanks MtnVision for posting back for me!

We have 36 rigs and I cottage here at the National, so it's a great group of folks having fun here this week! At past Nationals, the attendance "numbers" have been higher (60-65 rigs), but I don't look at numbers....I look at people! On the down side - time, distance & fuel prices took it's toll on attendance, BUT on the up side, we all came to Perrin to renew old friendships and make new ones and we've had a wonderful week doing just that!

I'd like to make a request to change the name from National RALLY to National REUNION...because that's what it is! One of the things that sets iRV2.com apart from all other RV organizations is the "family feeling" we have. We are just one big ole family getting together one year looking forward to the next reunion.

Thursday began with "flappers" Ken Wilson, Bob Wurch, Mike Brown and Jerry Curtis flipping flapjacks by the dozens! A stack of 200 pancakes is a site to see! A group of ladies were slicing and dicing fresh fruit to add to the breakfast. I don't think anyone left hungry!

Unfortunately, the wind in the west field didn't cooperate yesterday morning to see a host of kites flying over Mitchell RV Park so that was the only cancellation on the schedule this entire week! Of course, we've determined there's a couple of folks here with enough "HOT AIR" that should have stood in the field to get those kites in flight......but

At 5pm, we all gathered back at the rally hall for the potluck supper....seems like we're always eating! The Texas Boomers tell everyone we are "an eating group with a RV'ing disorder"...which has proved once again to be true! 4 tables SHOULD have been enough to hold the food brought in, but we had to set up one more!

After supper, we all headed to the Stockyard Stage to watch our young folks perform their Old West Play. Since Monday, we've had FOUR...I repeat FOUR rehearsals for this event. After the 2nd practice on Tuesday, I honestly did not think it would come together, but those kids continue to amaze me! Michelle Rowell got it on video and we're hoping Bill can get it up on YouTube with a link here on this thread so everyone can see OUR kids shine!

After the show, we headed back to the rally building to cool off with the BIGGEST AND BEST ice cream social in iRV2.com history! Texans proudly boast that everything is bigger and better in Texas....and we can prove it now

We put together a 10 ft long banana split! I can't wait for you to see the pictures (being posted later today) of this thing! We put 6 gallons of ice cream in a 'trough" topped with hot fudge, strawberry, pineapple, butterscotch ...then a ton of whipped cream, cherries and pecans...and lined it with 80 bananas! It was a site to behold....and it was G-O-N-E in 15 minutes!!!

Good friends, good food and good fellowship...it just doesn't get any better than this!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Day 5 Pictures are available here:
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW what a Bananna Split, enjoyed by all, didn't last long about 15 minutes. A fantastic National. Thanks Madame Boomer.

MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote