Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
JMonroe, MoRV and Elkhart Jim for these suggestions. I will look at the websites and contact them to get more information on them. Both areas have a lot of interesting venues around them that would attract attendance at a National Rally, but we have to determine if they

1. have adaquate space for 40-70 rigs which past national rally attendance runs in between those numbers.

2. have adaquate ampage for our needs. Many parks will have a lot of sites, but if only 1/2 of them are 30 amps that makes it really tough on those who require 50 amps....especially in the heat of the summer. It doesn't matter where you are, it's hot and/or humid across the country! Many parks are now realizing that they can accomodate a lot more people by having 20/30/50 amps at each site, but there are just as many who have limited themselves by establishing only a certain number of 30 amp sites and 50 amp sites. With such a crowd coming in for a National Rally, we must make sure everyone's specific needs are met.

3. While a rally hall is not necessary (we've done several using only outdoor pavillions or erecting large awnings, it is nice to have a facility to shelter in from the heat or rain. Kitchen facilities make it so much easier on the meals committee.

4. will even host a large rally! There are many wonderful places that could be possibilities for consideration, but many of them will not host large rallies during the summer. They make just as much money from vacationers so why bother dealing with a large group.

5. have a number of area attractions that would peek the interest of potential attenders. We've had major attractions and no attractions locations in the past and both have worked, but it seems that the majority of folks want at least one/two venues outside the planned events of the National rally.

EVERYONE

Please keep sending your recommendations! I am compiling a comprehensive listing of potential locations for future rallies: National, State/Regional and even Local rallies. I need eyes and ears and suggestions from those who are going where I can't!!!

Sandy

Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
First, what is PNW? If I knew what that was I might want to come or then maybe not. You do raise a great question however. What would make it affordable for more iRV2'ers to attend? Maybe if one of the mod's could/would start a "how much would you pay to come to a national rally" thread we could get that information.

This goes back to my post about how is the "place" selected. I'm seriously considering getting involved in the 2011 but I need a lot more info and I can't seem to get any. Maybe there are no rules. There are hundreds of places for a rally with and without a rally hall.

Lori, I read number 6 and I understand that we need pull thru's and back in's, prefer a rally hall, things to do, shade and sun. That's easy. Who makes the decisions? Is there a committee? Is anyone in charge?
PNW = Pacific NorthWest

I.E. Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

The problem I think you're partly running into is hookups, you all seem to need them, so it prices out far less expensive destinations. This is probably partly why the NATCOA rallies are usually less expensive, we don't need to have them to have a rally .

Diamond Lake, Oregon, for example, has a campground on the south shore that you can reserve whole site loops, but there's no electricity at each of the sites, or sewer, or water. There's water at the park, but its spigots located periodically like in most US Forestry campgrounds. There's also showers, they run as long as you want to stay in them, but there's a donation box to keep the showers funded as they were built with donations vs budget.

There is a dump station up at the east shore campground next to the lodge.

There is a full hookup RV park there as well, but it tends to have less tree cover and everyone is on top of one another, as is the case in most RV parks I've noticed.

Activities in the area are fishing, (High speed water toys aren't much use on the lake as the speed limit is 5-10mph) there's little foot powered water craft for rent as well as kayaks and some interesting pedal powered pontoon rigs. Crater Lake is also a short drive Diamond.

Silver Creek falls has group camp loops, but again, no hookups, and you have to drive back to the main campground several miles away to use showers. There are toilet facilities at the group loops, as well as a single fresh water spigot and dump station.

Area offers miles of trails which hike along a collection of water falls.

Hood River fair grounds has basic hookups (electric and water), and shower facilities (Coin operated). I believe there's a dumpstation on site.

You have the community of Hood River there at your door step, along with the Hood River Excursion train which takes you up through the fruit lands of Oregon to the town of Parkdale.

There's also the Columbia River gorge in the area, the Columbia River itself, and I believe a couple of state recreation areas somewhere nearby.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
PNW = Pacific NorthWest

I.E. Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

The problem I think you're partly running into is hookups, you all seem to need them, so it prices out far less expensive destinations. This is probably partly why the NATCOA rallies are usually less expensive, we don't need to have them to have a rally .

Diamond Lake, Oregon, for example, has a campground on the south shore that you can reserve whole site loops, but there's no electricity at each of the sites, or sewer, or water. There's water at the park, but its spigots located periodically like in most US Forestry campgrounds. There's also showers, they run as long as you want to stay in them, but there's a donation box to keep the showers funded as they were built with donations vs budget.

There is a dump station up at the east shore campground next to the lodge.

There is a full hookup RV park there as well, but it tends to have less tree cover and everyone is on top of one another, as is the case in most RV parks I've noticed.

Activities in the area are fishing, (High speed water toys aren't much use on the lake as the speed limit is 5-10mph) there's little foot powered water craft for rent as well as kayaks and some interesting pedal powered pontoon rigs. Crater Lake is also a short drive Diamond.

Silver Creek falls has group camp loops, but again, no hookups, and you have to drive back to the main campground several miles away to use showers. There are toilet facilities at the group loops, as well as a single fresh water spigot and dump station.

Area offers miles of trails which hike along a collection of water falls.

Hood River fair grounds has basic hookups (electric and water), and shower facilities (Coin operated). I believe there's a dumpstation on site.

You have the community of Hood River there at your door step, along with the Hood River Excursion train which takes you up through the fruit lands of Oregon to the town of Parkdale.

There's also the Columbia River gorge in the area, the Columbia River itself, and I believe a couple of state recreation areas somewhere nearby.
Here's something else to think about when you start looking at these older camp grounds with no to limited hook ups, and that would be the size of the sites. Older camp grounds have trouble with 45 ft rigs and tend to have a lot of trees. I for one am very careful about camp grounds with over hanging trees...no sense in scratching up my paint job...but again, that's just me.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
EVERYONE

Please keep sending your recommendations! I am compiling a comprehensive listing of potential locations for future rallies: National, State/Regional and even Local rallies. I need eyes and ears and suggestions from those who are going where I can't!!!

Sandy
If you were to consider the New England area, please add Brunswick Naval Air Station in Brunswick Maine to the list. This was the site of a former FMCA national rally. The base is closing due to (don't get me started)... but certainly is more than large enough to handle 40-70 coaches. I believe the FMCA attendance was something like 5,500.

Please add my name to the list of "people who will help".
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #33

Another one to consider is Pine Ridge Campground/Resort at Birch Run, Michigan. It's actually just a couple of miles south of Frankenmuth. They've accomadated large groups while we've been there. They have full hook-ups at all sites(W-E-S), they can handle all sizes of trailers and rigs; large, fully enclosed pavilion, and super facilities (bathrooms/showers). Sites are good size with both trees and some sites more open. There is NO pool but large playground area.

It's located approximately 2 mile off of I-75. You're a couple of miles from Frankenmuth which has multiple things to do and a cuople of miles from the famous Birch Run Outlet Mall for shopping.

Just a thought for either a regional or national rally.

Terry-
small5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #34
doc

Appalachian Campers
We always seem to have Nationals in the summer, when the heat is greatest. The Pigeon Forge rally is a great example of why it is not so good to do this. The heat was so oppressive, no one wanted to get outside away from the A/C.
Most of us are empty nesters or retired or even full timing and as such we could attend a national at most any time of the year. A spring or fall rally would be much more comfortable on all concerned. I know the invariable response to this will be, 'well those with kids won't be able to attend if we have it when school is in session'. That might be a valid reason, yet it disregards the majority of us who don't have kids and would rather rally in cooler weather.
I have talked to several who agree with this position and like us, would attend the National in Williams except for the heat. Again the response will be. 'it will be cooler near the Canyon since it is at a greater altitude'. True, but crossing the deserts to get there is not cool at all. Spring ,the temps are more reasonable or the fall with all the colors bright would be a much more pleasant experience. I know there are others who would also like to know this : How did it get to be a 'summer only' rule for the Nationals? and at whose direction? and how can we change it?
Not trying to start trouble or cause a problem. Just asking in the most respectful way I know .
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Way to go doc. Our sentiments exactly. We have decided against this years national rally even though I made (lost) a deposit. We seek cooler climates during the summer and getting too and away from Williams is going to be hot, hot, hot in July.

Just curious, how many children are usually at these national rally's? Last year we attended the Fleetwood National Rally with several hundred rigs and they had all this stuff for kids to do but only one problem, there were no kids.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll take a stab at answering your questions. Not that I know; these are just my opinions....

Quote:
How did it get to be a 'summer only' rule for the Nationals?
It became a summer occurrance because iRV2 is a family site. The founder, charter members (i.e. the members who joined way back in 2000) & moderators/administrators wanted everyone in a family be able to attend. That included children. In order for children to attend, the Rally needed to be held during the summer months when children were off school.

Quote:
and at whose direction?
see highlighted above

Quote:
and how can we change it?
Since I believe we want to continue to hold Rallies all family members can attend, I see us continuing to hold them during the summer. Also, the parents of those childrens often take their vacations while their children are on summer break. Another reason for a summer National Rally is many of us "yankees", especially those of us still working, put our RV's into hibernation during the winter months, leaving us only the good weather months, most notably June-Aug for attending a Rally. A Rally location/month can be influenced by who's willing to take it on (i.e. campground as well as wagonmaster). None of these means a Rally cannot be held in months other than summer, just that they are driving factors in choosing those months.

Quote:
Just curious, how many children are usually at these national rally's?
I've been to 3 Rallies & I don't remember paying attention to the number of kids at the 1st 2. I helped coordinate the 09 Rally & I'd say there were about a dozen there, somewhere around 10% +/- of the total attending. We could have had more, but due to the dates the campground was able to accomodate our large group, we lost several families from the NE whose schools had not yet let out for the summer.

As for the summer heat. Sevierville was HOT, unusually so for that section/elevation of the country at that time. No one ever expected it to be like that, we made the best of it & had a great Rally none the less. The 09 Rally was quite pleasant; so was Lancaster in 05. One can try to schedule a Rally in a temperate area of the country, but Mother Nature is quite changeable so nothing can be guaranteed.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #37

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
A Rally location/month can be influenced by who's willing to take it on...
Lori-
I thought that line needed a little more emphasis...

Dave
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #38
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am hoping that the National Rally will migrate back EAST in 2011.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I vote for simultaneous east/west rally with a national meeting on interactive TV. It would probably be the biggest rally ever.
I understand the reasoning for keeping it a family affair. After all, we do want future campers, right?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT
A Rally location/month can be influenced by who's willing to take it on...

OK folks....there is a hint in there.We are looking for a rally wagon master and he can be very influential in the decision for the location.

Hint...Hint...Hint

Ken
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, if they couldn't take the hint from me, there's certainly no mistaking the hint now.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man...the forum has almost stalled due to all the members wanting to sign up as the wagon master.

I was going to volunteer but with all the others jumping in before me...I'll withdraw from consideration. I appreciate all those that supported me and worked so hard the last few minutes on my behalf. Maybe next year we can get a campaign manager early enough to ward off the evil doer's. I will now put my support fully behind the poor soul that gets stuck with the job.