Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
2012 National IRV2 Rally Member Input

Now that the 2011 IRV2 National Rally is over and apparently successful, was wondering when a thread will be posted so other IRV2 members can offer their suggestions on the location of the 2012 ralley? In my opinion, the importance of member input is paramount in order to make a fair decision. The upper Midwest and Blackhills area seems to have drawn some interest in previous discussions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
We had a volunteer to do 2012 in North Carolina.. Far Western NC near Ashville but the thread announcing it disappeared. (????)

Do we have a Wagonmaster for the Upper Mid-West or the Black Hills?

I'm not sure of the process or politics of choosing a location but having a Wagonmaster to host the event is key..
Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
whats Happening
I thought it was customery to anounce the next rally at a meeting at the last rally. Are we doing something different now?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The 2012 rally we heard about is to be in Marion,NC near Charlotte,home of NASCAR mueum,and not near Asheville.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
You know, to organize a rally similar is scope to the one we just had at Bethpage has got to be a huge job. I cannot imagine the hours and energy that both Mike and Colleen put in to make it a success. Thanks both you guys and all the vendors who helped bring it together. Mike has the ability to put the bite on vendors and RV industry support businesses with good success.

I suggested the Black Hills as it is a beautiful place with more to see and do than one can possibly do in a rally week. I just wonder how many participants we would have that far west. It seems most of our membership is based in the eastern portion of the country. There are an awful lot of CGs in that area and I have made inquiries about a rally at a few. They seemed to feel that a 50 to 60 rig rally would strain their infrastructure and they were not big enough to support a rally of that size and still serve their normal spring and summer clientele. Perhaps some of the bigger ones, i.e. Rafter J, Horse Thief, might be able to handle such a group. I did not talk with them last fall when we were in the area. The summer weather is always cooler, especially in the northern hills than here in the SE US.
If we were to decide on such a location, it might be a good idea to plan it at least a 12-18 months in advance.

Shooting for a 100 rig rally is quite a goal. Ms Carol and I both favor the smaller, regional type rallies. Pot Lucks seem to get out of hand and are cumbersome and troubling to deal with. *trying to be very polite here* Mike again handled the problem as the consummate professional he is.

If the 2012 is in NC, we will be there. In SD, we will definitely be there.

Again, Good Job Mike and Colleen!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing for sure, the Texas Boomers could not host a national type rally because they regularly have 40-70 rigs at a monthly rally. Maybe more iRV2 members live on the east coast as previously noted, but Texas certainly holds up its number of rally goers.

Heck, we have members from as far away as Mo that come to Boomer Rallys. Everyone longs to be a Texan.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
One thing for sure, the Texas Boomers could not host a national type rally because they regularly have 40-70 rigs at a monthly rally. Maybe more iRV2 members live on the east coast as previously noted, but Texas certainly holds up its number of rally goers.

Heck, we have members from as far away as Mo that come to Boomer Rallys. Everyone longs to be a Texan.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally they try to announce the next rally at the National Rally. The rally location is generally discussed on the forums, with input fro m all members and suggestions. Of course the rally has to have a wagon master to head up everything. Then behind the scenes, the administrators, site owner and moderators make a decision.

I never saw any discussion about the 2012 location. So it seems that there is a lot more discussion and information needed before a location is announced.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Now that the 2011 IRV2 National Rally is over and apparently successful, was wondering when a thread will be posted so other IRV2 members can offer their suggestions on the location of the 2012 ralley? In my opinion, the importance of member input is paramount in order to make a fair decision. The upper Midwest and Blackhills area seems to have drawn some interest in previous discussions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Bob View Post
whats Happening
I thought it was customery to anounce the next rally at a meeting at the last rally. Are we doing something different now?
At the breakfast meeting on the final day of the 2011 rally, the location for the 2012 rally was announced to be at the Tom Johnson Rally Campground in Marion, NC during the last week of September 2012. A wagonmaster volunteered to organize the rally. A post to that effect was on this forum over the weekend but is now missing.

As it has been pointed out in previous threads, a rally location can be discussed to death, but unless someone steps forward to do the job, nothing happens. In the case of 2012, a volunteer stepped forward willing to host the rally in North Carolina.

I don't know why that announcement has disappeared.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
The 2012 rally we heard about is to be in Marion,NC near Charlotte,home of NASCAR mueum,and not near Asheville.
I recall the conversation at Beth Page last week regarding the location of the 2012 rally to be at Marion, NC and that the NASCAR shops, museums, etc around Charlotte were nearby. The fact that the NASCAR attractions are nearby is incorrect. Marion, NC is close to Ashville, NC not Charlotte. I also recall remarks made that a eastern rally could be held as well as a western rally if there are rally masters for both. Whats wrong with that? Some folks have already volunteered to serve as Rally Masters at Marion and a bunch of other folks have made themselves available to assist.

So, if a national rally is to be held in 2012 in the Black Hills or any other place, then someone needs to step up and volunteer. I could be out of line here, but with the price of fuel, travel distances and the overall economy, what's wrong with a national rally out west and another regional type event in Marion. I don't see any politics in it at all. Just good iRV2 folks getting together.

Bob
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hi ,ALL---The rally park in Marion is close to Ashville and Black Mt.It is located at Tom Johnsons RV.We have been to a Good Sam rally there.All The sites in the main park are 30 amp,but there is a new part across the road with 50 amp ,but only about 40 50 amp sites. The main park has about 400 sites.It is close to the Parkway,Old Fort,Mt Mitchell,Lots of Day trip stuff.The staff at Tom Johnsons were great.
All that said ,I have never been to the Black Hills,But I got a new Road Map.I will be careful this time so I won't have to be in 2 places.
Glad to see all had a great time,Hope Half Dimes don't buy Nancys out before I get back.
May the FORCE be with you---Bill & Juanita
Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
@ Freebird > Bill, I will draw you a map to make sure you don't end up in Mexico like someone we know.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

It appears that the IRV2 rallies are going to be an East Coast thing. While that is disappointing, it's completely understandable. More folks live East of the Mississippi than live in the West. You also need someone (or some group) to step up and offer to do the footwork. This is not an easy job and if no one out West is willing to throw down the gauntlet then an East Coast rally it is!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The attendees at this years rally have made a thoughtful and much appreciated recommendation for next years location. Prior to a final decision however, there will be ample opportunity for input and discussion from all forum members.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Closed Thread

Tags
national, rally