Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
We are new to this forum, so we have not attended a rally, however it sounds like a blast. We may get to come to this one. Pegion Forge is an hour from my house. We live on the southern border of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Bryson City, NC. It is the headquarters for the Great Smoky Mountains Railway, and if any of you take the train trip to the Nantahala Gorge, this is where you board the train. If you make to Bryson City, don't miss Smoky Mountain Trains Toy Train Museum, which houses the 5th largest Lionel train collection in the world. It is located at the railway depot. And no, I do not own it, don't make any money off of it, and don't have anything to do with it, other than living in the same town. It is a worthwhile visit. If you are a toy train buff, it is a must see. The Fall Grand Rod Run will be finishing the same weekend that the iRV2 rally starts. By Sunday most of the traffic has cleared out, however if anyone likes old cars, muscle cars, or anything car related, come to PF the previous Thursday and see the biggest baddest car show in the south. The Parkway through PF is 6 miles long, and it will be filled on both sides of the entire 6 miles with every kind of vehicle one can imagine. We usually attend the Spring Rod Run in April and the Fall Rod Run in September, so we may already be there. If you arrive before Sunday expect the traffic to be beyond awful. It's faster to walk. By Sunday morning traffic begins to clear out. Another day trip for the iRV2 group might be a road run to one of the points of interest inside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Cades Cove would be a be a great day trip. It takes about an 1hr and 15 minutes to drive from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove. Cades Cove is a preserved mountain community located inside of a mountain cove. The loop road is 11 miles, and we need to plan for 4 to 6 hours inside of the Cove. Nothing larger then a 1 ton pickup or van, and no RV's inside of the cove, but untowed TOADs are are allowed. A shorter trip might be to Clingman's Dome. We are in the shopping phase for our new used truck camper. I am one very OCD person, and to be honest, I am looking for a pristine bargan of a truck camper. Probably it will be a 5 year old Lance, in the 8 to 9.5 foot range. We have an F-350 Crewcab Dually, but want a short camper so we can haul our classic car or our boat without any problems. It may take me a while to find the right camper. We can camp in our 24foot enclosed car trailer that we haul our classic car in. The trailer is finished like a toy hauler so we are good to go either way. Sorry for the run on paragraph. Everytime I post from a computer at work, it runs everything together.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Cades Cove (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Clingmans Dome (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great Smoky Mountain Railroad
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pigeon Forge - Spring Grand Rod Run
Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
A short day trip that starts and ends in Gatlinburg.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Roaring Fork (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #35

Pond Piggies Club
GC...Thanks for the info. The train ride for the wife and I is a must while we are down there. Looks like we need to stay a week or so after the rally.

Hope to see you there.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #36

Speaking of rallies. Have you ever, or will you hold one in Canada?New to this whole community, and wanting to get up to speed.

Unfortunately, cannot attend this one. Or so it seems at the moment. Looks like an enjoyable event. Al the best!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #37

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear1 View Post
Speaking of rallies. Have you ever, or will you hold one in Canada?New to this whole community, and wanting to get up to speed.
Unfortunately, cannot attend this one. Or so it seems at the moment. Looks like an enjoyable event. Al the best!

While I can't speak for the power that be, but I think that would be neat. Where are you thinking about? Of course, now I'll have to get a passport.

Is it hard to cross the border with an RV now?

I use to run in and out of Canada 2 and 3 times a week when I drove OTR truck. Went to the east and west side of Toronto. Candy factory, bread factory, VW factory, and there was something else. I don't even want to try to spell the names of the towns. One started with an "E", and one with an "S".

Regards,
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wouldn't think it'd be out of the question. All it takes is someone or group to be wagonmasters to host one & submit a proposal with details to Andy to consider.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #39

Coastal Campers
Canada has some great camping..

If a US resident heads up North remember..

Passport..
Canadian Insurance for vehicles (call for free card from your US insurance company)
Shot records for pets

From our experiences it is harder to get back into the US..

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
You guys have great camping, but horrendous fuel prices and taxes .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #41
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
From our experiences it is harder to get back into the US..
Sandman, Passport required now. Was easier with the passport.

We do like camping up in Canada on the Seaway in Ontario. Had a great time and went to see Upper Canada Village.

You do have to watch out for cigars that they will try to sell you as Cuban! Last experience was a "Yuk" and expensive to boot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Sandman, Passport required now. Was easier with the passport.

We do like camping up in Canada on the Seaway in Ontario. Had a great time and went to see Upper Canada Village.

You do have to watch out for cigars that they will try to sell you as Cuban! Last experience was a "Yuk" and expensive to boot.
Not worth it when you can get legal cubans in the states. The secret is major cigar producers who are not part of the embargo buy the seed or leaf from Cuba, roll it in their country and then it can be sold in the US.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, rally