Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #127

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Has anyone gone down to the Regional Chapters area here? Gone down there and read the thread that Madame Boomer put together. It is titled Rally Master. It is the very first thread. It is really informative.

Jerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Has anyone gone down to the Regional Chapters area here? Gone down there and read the thread that Madame Boomer put together. It is titled Rally Master. It is the very first thread. It is really informative.

Jerry
Sandy has done a great job on the Rally manual. It would be possible for an inexperienced person to take on the role and with a little guidance get the job done.

We are not as big as GS and cannot put on the effort that they do. Obviously we have a bunch of followers, but we need a Chief that has the time to do the job.

Ken

Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I certainly cannot speak for the current owner/leadership team of iRV2, but in the past, one of our objectives was to ensure the geographic diversity of the National Rally locations. We would attempt to have one year's National Rally somewhere in the East, the next year's (let's say) in the West and the following year's in more of a Central location. The intent was to make the National Rally experience available to the maximum number of iRV2 members, with the recognition that many of them are NOT retired and have a limited number of vacation days available to travel and attend the National Rally. That just tries to keep it fair for everyone. If you'll go back and look at the past National Rally locations, you'll see the results of this desire for geographic diversity.

This was contingent, of course, on having a willing National Rally wagonmaster step up in the desired area. If none were available, then alternate locations were evaluated based on the willingness of a wagonmaster to step up to the plate.

As I said, I'm not a part of the current owner/leadership team, so I don't know what their philosophy is, but I thought it was worth explaining how previous National Rally sites were selected.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #130
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We are not as big as GS and cannot put on the effort that they do. Obviously we have a bunch of followers, but we need a Chief that has the time to do the job.
I find myself being able to not only put on a good rally but I do have the time to get the job done. Having people in place that will assist would be helpful but given enough time, this is not an impossible job. Colleen has helped me greatly and together we have taken on the toughest jobs. This year we worked 2 rallies back to back and had the time to research the facilities for a 2013 event and cut a proposal.

We have planned and executed at least 6 rallies of over 50 people in attendance with the largest being well over 100 rigs. I have assisted in a supporting role a number of other rallies. I have attended dozens of rallies over a number of years from as few as a handful of rigs to over a thousand rigs.

I think that we have enough talent here to get the job done so I would say that we don't need a full time chief.

Our focus should be grow the National at a sustainable rate over the course of the next few years and I don't expect that we will place over 500 rigs in a facility (Like Good Sam/FMCA/Escapees) for quite some time but it's not impossible to begin planning for that eventuality now.

Our traditional or repeated rally participants want full hookup and or resort style sites so that alone will tend to keep the National typically under 200 rigs. There are exceptions for example, I know a few campgrounds that will accommodate over 300 rigs in a resort setting but this amount of sites needs to be reserved as far out as possible.

As we discuss this, getting 100+ sites for next September in a resort location is getting more difficult to do since these types of facilities often accept reservations 18 months in advance. Site inventory begins to decrease at this point in time since we are now only looking at an 11 month lead.

@ Rusty;

Shifting the location from one geographic location to another is an excellent pursuit however the reality is that absent a location or person to do the job in an alternate facility one must go with the bird in hand.

Quote:
The intent was to make the National Rally experience available to the maximum number of iRV2 members, with the recognition that many of them are NOT retired and have a limited number of vacation days available to travel and attend the National Rally.
Although the intent is a noble pursuit, the data and reality show that this past rally was attended by 50 to 60% first timers and the overwhelming majority of the 113 attendees were retired. Keeping the national in season increases the cost of the event for those retired people. A secondary benefit is the cooler weather in which we were blessed this year fostering evening campfires which were well attended.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Rusty;

Shifting the location from one geographic location to another is an excellent pursuit however the reality is that absent a location or person to do the job in an alternate facility one must go with the bird in hand.

Although the intent is a noble pursuit, the data and reality show that this past rally was attended by 50 to 60% first timers and the overwhelming majority of the 113 attendees were retired. Keeping the national in season increases the cost of the event for those retired people. A secondary benefit is the cooler weather in which we were blessed this year fostering evening campfires which were well attended.
I said nothing about the 2013 rally. I merely shared a historical perspective about how rally locations were selected in the past. It's up to the current owner/leadership team to define their target demographic and work with a willing wagonmaster to put the National Rally together accordingly.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #132
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I said nothing about the 2013 rally.
Point taken in which I did not mention 2013 in my response to you. You guys know what's involved, you've been there and done that. However, an encore from the Great State of Texas would not be out of the question.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #133

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I find myself being able to not only put on a good rally but I do have the time to get the job done.

I know I cut this down... But are you volunteering for this year?
I do understand your post... But if I were even sorta on the edge I would run with my tail between my legs. We did have a maybe rally master. I am not sure this thread chased them off. I can only say that there were times last year we, Trace and I were ready to chuck it all in..But we made a promise and tried our best... We MUST support and be helpfull if we are going to find a willing body to hold the title of RALLY HOST. Location has NOTHING to do with the search at this time... If there is anyone out there who is willing, let them stand up and be counted. They will have Tracy, Mine, Andy's, and all of the ADMIN's support. I want this rally to grow but to grow we need help, we need hands not replies. Suggestions and comments are welcome, but remember there might be a member who might think of doing the job, but we as members must make sure that they are not alone in this task. Peace... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #134

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Suggestions and comments are welcome, but remember there might be a member who might think of doing the job, but we as members must make sure that they are not alone in this task. Peace... D
That has to be one of the smartest things posted in the last 8 or 9 pages. You are 100% correct.

Regards,
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #135
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
I can only say that there were times last year we, Trace and I were ready to chuck it all in..But we made a promise and tried our best ...
Dickson, This sentence almost reads like an apology. There is no need at all to assume that you tried your best when in fact, Tracy was all over this thing like a pit bull. Her tenacity to get it right speaks volumes toward getting the job done. Your leadership in this effort was exceptional and you both made the National a complete success.

For as much as we are all looking for this ... ---> I would expect that what is required is that a person be more than willing to lead the effort but that a game plan needs to be detailed and evaluated to see if there is a remote possibility that the individual will be successful. As you have already demonstrated, it takes conviction, tenacity and dedication to make sure that on the day the thing is a go that everything goes as planned.

Last year, both you and Tracy volunteered to man the registration desk and man the door prize booth among other things. You guys cames with a lot of OJT in this regard so you had a clue as to how the next rally would have to flow. Getting that experience isn't easy.

My confidence in regard to you and Tracy given your excellent business ethic, having attended at least 1 National Rally and your volunteer work in manning some of the jobs for the 2011 national indicated to me at least that you would be able to make this work. You have raised the bar in regard to being a Wagonmaster since you are the first to have executed a National Rally without being a moderator or administrator. I would hope that you would expect the same level of performance from a person that would follow in your footsteps.

Of course it goes without saying that we all would render assistance or consultation in regard to the next rally. I personally however would have a higher degree of confidence for successful national if the prospect at least had boots on the ground for at least 1 or more of our events and had worked some of the volunteer jobs. Dismiss this if you will as incidental however I see it as an essential ingredient toward success especially given the tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of people that are directly impacted by the results.

Concluding; just getting somebody is no where near as important as getting the right person the 1st time because once the process launches, turning back is not likely and the members won't accept failure as an option after 12 years of getting it right.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tracy and Dickson, your best was way above the bar on getting it right.

Many, many THANKS again

Jerry and Patsy ( Wizard )
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #137
doc

Appalachian Campers
Welcome to Black Hills Visitor

http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...cs/tatanka.pdf

Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Tracy and Dickson, your best was way above the bar on getting it right.

Many, many THANKS again

Jerry and Patsy ( Wizard )
X2 had fun assisting Tracy at the campground. kept us busy & met
many new people.

great job you two!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #139

Pond Piggies Club
Black Hills??? Never been there. We will attend if chosen!!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Black Hills??? Never been there. We will attend if chosen!!!!!
We were there in June and would like an excuse to go back.

Tags
national, rally