Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #169
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
If it were held during school vacation, more families could attend and others also would be able to include g'kids. Does it have to be at tradition campgrounds?
In my experience, during school vacations, campgrounds book-up quickly and getting enough room for a rally would be challenging.

We have already anguished over 10 years that we do not want to have our National in the summer months for multiple reasons.

The number of attendees that would attend as a family with children has over time proven to be small in number.

At some point in time, soon, I will be bringing my grandson but I expect that he won't be in school yet.

Don't allow me to provide this opinion unchallenged but iRV2 attendees want as many hookups as possible and for the most part those are typically available in campgrounds.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #170
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
Mike, i'm not so sure you'll ever get many more rigs than 2012 rally.
two slides, We never expected to get as many people in Sevierville as we saw. We planned for 100 and that number was soon eclipsed. I was expecting and would have been OK with 80 rigs but that number went by the wayside early.

I would therefore expect that we will do the same or better depending on location, location, location. One hundred and twelve rigs is a lot for us but is small in comparison to a "state" Samboree for instance. VA for example can put 300 to 400 rigs in a park and that's just Virginia. North Carolina also has huge numbers for both its Good Sam and WIT organizations which can both put more than 100 rigs in a park.

We are pulling from a International membership. I don't see a ceiling just yet and I think the opportunity to place a lot of people in a facility going forward, is feasible.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #171

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The size of the rally will be determined by the location and the date. Look back at the past rallies and you will see that the rallies held in resort areas seem to do the best (ie Branson, MO, and Sevierville, TN). I'm almost willing to bet that if the 2013 rally was held in Sevierville again you would see another huge turn out...In order to get people to attend you got to have it some place that people want to go to....
Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #172

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
if it was in Sevierville we would attend for sure.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #173

wasn't going to log in tonite----BUT

first things first----

happy birthday DriVer. see your 58 years old today.

so how many years have you been 58 now????? just kidding

as per your post about possible larger attendance in 2013 rally,it's been several years since we attended a Good Sam Samboree in Branson, Mo.
with i don't recall exact # of rv's but close to 150 i think. won't go to another one ---just seemed like they squeezed to much into a short amount of time. only thing good that i'll say was they bussed us to all the shows they scheduled & after each show, one of the entertainers would come onto each bus & answer questions & allow us to take pictures of them. been also to several local rallys & didn't care for them either.
FMCA local rallys have been better than Good Sams.
i hope you can achieve the amount of rv's your shooting for in 2013, we'll try to be there if at all possible.

irv2's 2012 is without a doubt the very best rally we ever attended, you, your DW, Tracy & Dickson & everyone else did an outstanding job & these thanks came from numerous campers that we talked to.

p.s. I won't tell Colleen your 58 it's our secret!!!

happy birthday Mike
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #174
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
first things first----

happy birthday DriVer. see your 58 years old today.
Thank you!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
The size of the rally will be determined by the location and the date. Look back at the past rallies and you will see that the rallies held in resort areas seem to do the best (ie Branson, MO, and Sevierville, TN). I'm almost willing to bet that if the 2013 rally was held in Sevierville again you would see another huge turn out...In order to get people to attend you got to have it some place that people want to go to....
I have a brother who used to live in Gatlinburg, so know the area well. For those of you unfamiliar with Sevierville, it is part of the Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg Tennessee area, near Knoxville. No matter how many times you visit, there are so many things you never run out of things to see and do in the area. Incredibly beautiful wood carvings and wood furniture, shopping, crafts and flea markets of every kind, Dollywood, amazing scenery and outdoor activities ...

I am new to RVing, and hope to attend the 2013 and on rallies, and after following the many different threads re rallies and locations, just IMO the idea selecting one accessible, locally interesting RESORT site as THE site for the annual rally, set for a particular time (like the last week of September every year ...) I think would really simplify things and help it to grow each year.

I have read many posts where they say sorry, already booked doing something else, somewhere else - maybe next year... Having a specific site and time would allow it to be scheduled into travel plans long in advance so members can dependably plan their itineraries to incorporate that annual rally, and I think many more would begin to do so. And no matter how great the actual rally activities are, I believe the area has to have enough to offer everyone local interest and activities as well - especially since many may want to extend their visits to justify time, expense and distance traveled.

"...If we can get a new, more streamlined, approach to defining a location and getting members to help in different areas ..."

Many of these posts seem to be from members saying "...I can help, but not do it all..." In fact, I think it sounds like many members would love to have the opportunity to participate on that smaller scale! Designating a set time and location for the annual rally also allows the host facility to provide more service and support themselves, in effect taking on a portion of the huge amount of Wagon Master host duties, leaving the Wagon Master coordinating the various volunteers for the various portions - - - AND allowing the two - three months of time and energy spent determining location and Wagon Master each year to instead be spent on actual rally activities, helping it to grow and expand each year.

JMO.

Kathryn

```

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I have read many posts where they say sorry, already booked doing something else, somewhere else - maybe next year... Having a specific site and time would allow it to be scheduled into travel plans long in advance so members can dependably plan their itineraries to incorporate that annual rally, and I think many more would begin to do so. And no matter how great the actual rally activities are, I believe the area has to have enough to offer everyone local interest and activities as well - especially since many may want to extend their visits to justify time, expense and distance traveled.
"...If we can get a new, more streamlined, approach to defining a location and getting members to help in different areas ..."
Kathryn
```
Kathryn I agree!

Andy R said:
"I wanted to post an update to everyone who is watching this 2013 National discussion. I have been chatting with the Admin team about changing the way we approach the National. In the past, when the event was smaller, expecting a couple to step up and host the event was reasonable. As it grows in size it's a more daunting task and it's going to get harder and harder to find people willing to step up and organize the whole thing. That being said, my idea is to select a campground, set the dates, put down the deposit and then ask for volunteers to help with various aspects of the event such as entertainment, dining, welcoming, day trips, etc. Most people will feel more comfortable offering assistance with one of these smaller tasks then taking on the burden of planning the entire event. This would also allow more people to get involved which is a great way to stimulate more local rallies around the year.

So stay tuned as we evaluate the proposals which have been made so far and also explore some ideas for other locations which have been submitted in the past. We will make an announcement at some point in the near future."

I am trying to hold the fall of 2013 (Sept to mid Oct) open waiting on a place and a date but I will not hold it forever. Other organizations have already posted the time and place for their rallies and the ones I plan on attending are already on my calendar.

After Andy's post all other conversations with suggestions to have it here or there at this time or that is pointless if iRV2 Admin will be deciding all these details. I truly enjoyed the 2012 rally and I would really love to attend the 2013 but I only have so much time and budget so I would like to get the time and place nailed down so we can move along.
iRV2.com Leadership...the ball is in your court
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #177

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Kathryn I agree!

Andy R said:
"I wanted to post an update to everyone who is watching this 2013 National discussion. I have been chatting with the Admin team about changing the way we approach the National. In the past, when the event was smaller, expecting a couple to step up and host the event was reasonable. As it grows in size it's a more daunting task and it's going to get harder and harder to find people willing to step up and organize the whole thing. That being said, my idea is to select a campground, set the dates, put down the deposit and then ask for volunteers to help with various aspects of the event such as entertainment, dining, welcoming, day trips, etc. Most people will feel more comfortable offering assistance with one of these smaller tasks then taking on the burden of planning the entire event. This would also allow more people to get involved which is a great way to stimulate more local rallies around the year.

So stay tuned as we evaluate the proposals which have been made so far and also explore some ideas for other locations which have been submitted in the past. We will make an announcement at some point in the near future."

I am trying to hold the fall of 2013 (Sept to mid Oct) open waiting on a place and a date but I will not hold it forever. Other organizations have already posted the time and place for their rallies and the ones I plan on attending are already on my calendar.

After Andy's post all other conversations with suggestions to have it here or there at this time or that is pointless if iRV2 Admin will be deciding all these details. I truly enjoyed the 2012 rally and I would really love to attend the 2013 but I only have so much time and budget so I would like to get the time and place nailed down so we can move along.
iRV2.com Leadership...the ball is in your court
We have been busy and have not gotten the Amanna Colonies info to Andy R... But that set aside... Wow Kathryn nailed it... River Plantation COULD have provided tours, more spaces, more fun if we could have planned 18 months out.... instead of spending 2 months discussing places that a member would love to visit or what size a rally is... 1 year at River Plantation, the next in, lets say Florida. The rally masters work would be alot less and all the rest Kathryn and the Arnold's mention would make this whole process so easy we will be turning rally masters away..
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #178

Thor Owners Club
I'm one of those who has said "I'll go to this place or that place," "I can go this time of year but not that time of year," etc. I have not volunteered to help except to say I'd like to offer a seminar/discussion. I do have some ideas for an entertainer but I don't want to work on details until the date is set.

At this point we are making plans for next fall. In another two weeks or so our 2013 calendar will likely be booked. We'd really enjoy participating in another iRV2 rally but that's looking less likely as the days and weeks go by.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #179

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I have a brother who used to live in Gatlinburg, so know the area well. For those of you unfamiliar with Sevierville, it is part of the Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg Tennessee area, near Knoxville. No matter how many times you visit, there are so many things you never run out of things to see and do in the area. Incredibly beautiful wood carvings and wood furniture, shopping, crafts and flea markets of every kind, Dollywood, amazing scenery and outdoor activities ...

I am new to RVing, and hope to attend the 2013 and on rallies, and after following the many different threads re rallies and locations, just IMO the idea selecting one accessible, locally interesting RESORT site as THE site for the annual rally, set for a particular time (like the last week of September every year ...) I think would really simplify things and help it to grow each year.

JMO.

Kathryn

```
I like the idea of holding the National Rally in one location for a number of years...(say 3 or 4). I would think that you should be able to work out a very good rate and also be able to book the week that you want. The members would then know when and where the rally will be held and can then make plans for the next 3 years or so....

As stated by Kathryn, Sevierville is an out standing choice to start with. You know that there is a camp ground that can handle the numbers, and the area is wide open with entertainment.

Now with all that said, I would still take this time to look at other areas for future rallies, and with each area holding the "National" for 3 or 4 years then there shouldn't be a lot of pressure on finding a place.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
I like the idea of holding the National Rally in one location for a number of years...(say 3 or 4). I would think that you should be able to work out a very good rate and also be able to book the week that you want. The members would then know when and where the rally will be held and can then make plans for the next 3 years or so....

As stated by Kathryn, Sevierville is an out standing choice to start with. You know that there is a camp ground that can handle the numbers, and the area is wide open with entertainment.

Now with all that said, I would still take this time to look at other areas for future rallies, and with each area holding the "National" for 3 or 4 years then there shouldn't be a lot of pressure on finding a place.
If you try and hold a rally in the same location every year, people will come one year, but not the second and third. The whole point of the rally is to change locations, so people from different areas are able to attend and those attending can visit a different area of the country each year.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #181
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
If you try and hold a rally in the same location every year, people will come one year, but not the second and third. The whole point of the rally is to change locations, so people from different areas are able to attend and those attending can visit a different area of the country each year.
BINGO!

Even running a Rally in Myrtle Beach for a few years in a row would get boring. I do plan on submitting a proposal for the 2014 Rally for the Myrtle Beach area but I need 18 months to book out 150 to 200 sites. Getting all the sites we need can't easily be accomplished in under 12 months because the sites begin booking out at the 18 month mark. So we have to be ready to book on day 1.

Each rally that we have put on here on the beach was a winner! In my opinion, there isn't hardly a better place to have a rally other than on the beach. Great campground, recreation hall, catering, entertainment, food, shopping, Sky-Wheel, boardwalks, history, art and places to go and things to see. "The beach" however remains the primary draw in this tourism town.

We live here and we have a handle on all that we would need to make for a great event. I hope that the 2013 can swing out westerly because that would fall in line with an easterly swing in 2014.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #182
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Regardless of what happens for 2013, I think its an OUTSTANDING idea to start working on 2014.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
Closed Thread

Tags
national, rally