Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #211

Thor Owners Club
For those of you that want to do some typing... come on over to this thread. Take some time discussing subjects you'd like to see at the next rally you attend.

The rally location is certainly important but it's also important to offer subjects of interest to rally attendees. Rally goers can choose to participate in the seminars or not. Be sure to indicate if you're willing to make a presentation or help with a seminar topic.

Thanks, Lucius
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #212

The discussion on these pages has been interesting and informing if not anything more. People keep saying "we have to change locations each year" ---- that is not necessarily true. Take a look at FMCA and their Spring Rally --- It was held in Perry, Georgia for about 4 years in a row and they never had a drop in attendance there (over a 1,000 coaches a year). If we held the rally at Sevierville for two/three years in a row, I doubt there would be that much drop in attendance due to the many, many things there to do -- it would take you at least 3 - 4 visits to the area just to see everything there. And the plus side of that equation is that the campground knows what to expect from us and how to cater to our needs. Speaking of the FMCA rally -- guess what -- they are coming back to Perry, GA in 2014 for their Spring event. If you did hold the rally at the same location for more than one year, it would also be easier to pull together and it might also help in getting a wagonmaster to "head up the event." The other possible sites that have the size campgrounds and the surrounding "things to do" that have been mentioned are Myrtle Beach, Branson and the Orlando areas -- yes some people have said "we have been there too much" -- that is just one person --- for others, they may have never been to that area as the membership of IRV2 continues to grow and for some, they can go to Myrtle Beach every year for many years (my wife and I have been going to MB since 1986 and we go twice a year as an example). I may be rambling to some but, I am just throwing out some thoughts that going to the same place or rotating it between two or three sites may not be out of the question. The one advantage to having the rally at the same sites and at the same dates, is that people would be able to start planning their trips and time availability well in advance of the rally and I, for one, if I knew where we were going in 2014 or 2015 would start planning accordingly. I am sure that I have "raised the dander" on some but, just throwing in my 2 cents for what little it is worth.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The discussion on these pages has been interesting and informing if not anything more. People keep saying "we have to change locations each year" ---- that is not necessarily true. Take a look at FMCA and their Spring Rally --- It was held in Perry, Georgia for about 4 years in a row and they never had a drop in attendance there (over a 1,000 coaches a year). If we held the rally at Sevierville for two/three years in a row, I doubt there would be that much drop in attendance due to the many, many things there to do -- it would take you at least 3 - 4 visits to the area just to see everything there. And the plus side of that equation is that the campground knows what to expect from us and how to cater to our needs. Speaking of the FMCA rally -- guess what -- they are coming back to Perry, GA in 2014 for their Spring event. If you did hold the rally at the same location for more than one year, it would also be easier to pull together and it might also help in getting a wagonmaster to "head up the event." The other possible sites that have the size campgrounds and the surrounding "things to do" that have been mentioned are Myrtle Beach, Branson and the Orlando areas -- yes some people have said "we have been there too much" -- that is just one person --- for others, they may have never been to that area as the membership of IRV2 continues to grow and for some, they can go to Myrtle Beach every year for many years (my wife and I have been going to MB since 1986 and we go twice a year as an example). I may be rambling to some but, I am just throwing out some thoughts that going to the same place or rotating it between two or three sites may not be out of the question. The one advantage to having the rally at the same sites and at the same dates, is that people would be able to start planning their trips and time availability well in advance of the rally and I, for one, if I knew where we were going in 2014 or 2015 would start planning accordingly. I am sure that I have "raised the dander" on some but, just throwing in my 2 cents for what little it is worth.
am i assuming that you enjoy these 1000 rv's rallys where you are packed in like sardines on a large field? have no interest in attending one of these events. FMCA just had one in Indianapolis & i think GOOD SAM just had one in Louisville. it's not my cup of tea i guess. as for Sevierville-- been going there since 1970's, River Plantation even has my CC on file. i've been PM'ing attendees of this year & no one has yet said they would like to return next year. if you are interested in returning next year, have you considered being the wagon master?
thats my 3 cents worth so now we have a nickel to spend.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
am i assuming that you enjoy these 1000 rv's rallys where you are packed in like sardines on a large field? have no interest in attending one of these events. FMCA just had one in Indianapolis & i think GOOD SAM just had one in Louisville. it's not my cup of tea i guess. as for Sevierville-- been going there since 1970's, River Plantation even has my CC on file. i've been PM'ing attendees of this year & no one has yet said they would like to return next year. if you are interested in returning next year, have you considered being the wagon master?
thats my 3 cents worth so now we have a nickel to spend.
Didn't say I liked the 1,000 unit rallys --- and I figured that someone would not get the point which was, you don't have to move every year and have success at a rally site. It is more than the rally that draws the people to it -- it is what is available in the surrounding areas. I have not received a PM from you asking if I would go back to Sevierville -- I would go and I know of two others that would go back. Don't care to be the wagon master as I have done my duty of arranging large meetings (over 10,000 at one event -- now that was fun to organize and keep going in the city of Chicago) in my career and don't care for the headaches. Was just throwing out something for consideration -- if everyone wants, I will remove the post since it seems I did "ruffle feathers" ----- LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #215

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dave for what its worth i think you make a very good point. i think this will help eliminate many problem we face now with rally planning. we just need a couple more good sites. imagine lining up and listing rallies 5 yrs out.
it's so hard flying with one wing............

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #216

Appreciate the words Jestme13 ---- and yes, it would be very nice to be able to list sites out for 2 -- 5 years. Would help lots of people, the ones attending as they can plan other events around the annual rally dates, potential suppliers could plan their schedules way in advance knowing when the rallies will occur and where, the rally sites would probably work with us on better rates as they would know way in advance that they could count on filling up their campground in a week's period, etc. etc. Also, this site's owners could arrange their schedules to attend and interact as they would know way in advance when and where a rally was being held. This type of far range planning could not only help in the national rally each year but, regional rallies as well -- then if someone from the East Coast wanted to attend a Central or West Coast event, then they could properly allocate their time and efforts to get there. Anyway -- just saying. I will add that when I headed up a large organization's audit group, we had an annual event for 7 years running in the same location --- and each year, the attendance kept going up -- mainly by word of mouth that the event was one that you should not miss and if you only went to one event each year, make sure you came to that one.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestme13 View Post
Dave for what its worth i think you make a very good point. i think this will help eliminate many problem we face now with rally planning. we just need a couple more good sites. imagine lining up and listing rallies 5 yrs out.
it's so hard flying with one wing............
LOL! - Great line!

reminds me of ... and please, no one take offense, I am not referring to ANYONE - it just reminded me of one of my favorite old sayings over the last 40 years ...

"It's hard to soar with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys ...!" LOL! (or - in the case of government - both turkeys and chickens! (Ooops! Did that slip out? )

Still excited over the rally, waiting to pencil it in ...

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #218

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
This is exactly what I was getting at in my earlier posts. There would be nothing wrong in having the rally in the same place for 3 or 4 years straight. It should allow you to get a better deal from the campground, and it would make it easier for people to plan for. As far as people not wanting to return to the same place the next year, I don't think that would be a big problem.

I didn't get to go to this years rally because of work, but I was there the following week. I try to get to Sevierville 3 or 4 times a year and have been doing so for the last 4 years (I've always stay at the Riverside camp ground).
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #219

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
2013 rally

what about Branson,MO
I believe they have camp grounds big enough. And a lot of great things to do.
also in the middle of the Midwest
B&W Companion 5th wheel
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #220
doc

Appalachian Campers
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #221

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M zoll View Post
what about Branson,MO
I believe they have camp grounds big enough. And a lot of great things to do.
also in the middle of the Midwest
: thumb:

We have been to Branson several times. Got to ride the train!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, the rally sites can be picked 5 years out, but there is still the problem of finding a wagon master. The rallies just do not happen spontaneously.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Appreciate the words Jestme13 ---- and yes, it would be very nice to be able to list sites out for 2 -- 5 years.
I have already mentioned that I would be willing to host the 2014 Rally here in Myrtle Beach however I need a go ahead NLT April 15, 2013 in order to secure the best sites for mid-October 2014. I should have no problem at that time reserving 150 to 200 sites all together.

If we could stay ahead of the curve by 2 years, I believe that would be great! On the other hand, if we're going to put 500 rigs into a facility, we definitely need to book these facilities 36 months out. We would have to be looking at a Perry, GA, Essex Junction, VT, Elkhart, IN, Springfield, MA and other large scale fairground facilities.

If we want full hookups, there are only a handful of campgrounds that can accommodate that many rigs and they don't take reservations that far in advance.

In regard to the 2013 rally, I am regrettably withdrawing the proposals I submitted because one of the proposals I obtained was time sensitive (GA) and the other gained no traction (IA).
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #224

Quote:
Dave, I agree with you 100%. We just passed the 100,000 member mark on IRV2 and I am positive they have not all been to Sevierville. I'll bet they would fill up the rally if it was held for 2-3 years in a row. Those that had been may not return, but those that could not make it last time, could schedule for a future rally. This would give several opportunities to make a rally at a given location, not to mention the savings of having the rally fixed at a location for a few years.

My 2 cents
Closed Thread

Tags
national, rally