Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post

Public Relations and Marketing
Winnebago Industries, Inc.

"Did you know that at Winnebago Industries, we have an Activity Complex and Rally Grounds that is the perfect location for your event? Centrally located in Forest City, Iowa (midway between Des Moines, IA and Minneapolis, MN), we offer 1,600 camp sites all with electrical hook ups, onsite meeting facilities, kids rides and available catering. For more details, click on http://www.winnebagoind.com/clubs/wit/hostevents.php."

Posted by request from Winnebago Industries
Thanks DriVer, another good possibility, only question I have is are we ready for just electrical hook ups. Another one for a wagon master to check out

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It would be great to have the next rally in the mid-west or the west.

What activities are out there?

Are you volunteering, Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Public Relations and Marketing
Winnebago Industries, Inc.

"Did you know that at Winnebago Industries, we have an Activity Complex and Rally Grounds that is the perfect location for your event? Centrally located in Forest City, Iowa (midway between Des Moines, IA and Minneapolis, MN), we offer 1,600 camp sites all with electrical hook ups, onsite meeting facilities, kids rides and available catering. For more details, click on http://www.winnebagoind.com/clubs/wit/hostevents.php."

Posted by request from Winnebago Industries

Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A week without water or sewer connections becomes yet another logistics problem to deal with. I'd vote for a location with full hook ups available. Otherwise a nice thought.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've attended the Winnebago Grand Natl. Rally. They had 1600 rigs on that site. They had water( you needed to buddy up on hoses to reach ) available to fill your tank and of course Honey Wagons. Not FHU's but doable. Also had good power as I recall . It was in July and we ran our two compressor basement ac without issue.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
A week without water or sewer connections becomes yet another logistics problem to deal with. I'd vote for a location with full hook ups available. Otherwise a nice thought.
They do indeed have water and that is shared via a Y connection from one coach to the next. We had plenty of pressure. The facility will also have honey wagon service as well.

One of the largest demographic on iRV2 is the Winnebago Industries Forum. Winnebago has been a sponsor since January of 2004 and holds the record for the longest tenure as a sponsor. The iRV2 owner's club is approaching 1,000 members and the forum hosts close to 119,000 discussions.

If there are other reasons other than infrastructure that don't make muster that would of course have to be considered in the overall decision making process. Forest City is by no means a resort location which at our 2012 Rally proved to be a big hit with all the attendees because all did something unique.

Personally, I am impressed that Winnebago Industries would reach out to us and extend this invitation given that we will have a wide mix of brand named recreational vehicles on their property.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Today, iRV2 received an invitation to host our rally at the Cam-Plex in Gillette, Wyoming.

It's quite a place with lots to see and do in the area, with over 1000 full hook up sites.

I attended the Newmar rally there in 2007 and it was great.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm going to put in a few things...Winnebago has been a sponsor since 2004 but they did not even donate a door prize in support of our 2012 rally. Next question of course is host and proposal and get all the cost...do we have to rent building, tables, chairs, cost of honey wagon service etc. What is a reasonable cost for rally. What activities are close.

Yes having it in the West is a great idea, but how many will come...in 2010 was held in Arizona and only 33 rigs came and none of them with exception of host was further west than Texas.

Its nice to see that now these places and rally sites are reaching out to us, we just need to get people to volunteer to host at these sites.

Keep the sites and locations coming....its alot more suggestions and options than were discussed last year and seems we are making an impression out there now.

Seems to be we are looking at moving out of campgrounds and into rally facilities....what are we setting the goal at for rigs in 2013? 200? 250? more?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #36

I attended a Good Sam Rally that had 4000 RVs and it was held at a convention center. I was parked out in Lot "R" (South 40) and needed a shuttle bus to get to the meeting hall. We had 30 amp power and had to pay extra if you needed a honey wagon. I would not attend another Rally where I was stuck in a gravel parking lot with less than full hook ups.

I agree with Tracy & Dickson's comments about how far west is too far based on the attendance at the Arizona Rally? I would like for some of our West coast members to offer up some suggestions, show some interest, before I would go too far West in an attempt to attract these folks at the expense of loosing East cost members. I live in western Ohio (almost Indiana) so I have the ability to go East or West.

I would like to see a site selected in the next month or two because I am already working on my travel schedule for 2013 and I want to consider the iRV2 Rally in my plans.

Please, no comments about volunteering to be Wagon Master and I can pick the site. For those who do not know we have volunteered to asset the 2013 Wagon Master but all this depends on my DWs health.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like the Wyoming location. It's centrally located for those that might also include the Black Hills, Yellowstone or Rocky Mountain National park, just to name a few possibilities. Peggy and I spent a few days in that general area this past summer and enjoyed touring the Big Horn mountains and Big Horn canyon. I think the "big name" tourist attractions, at a great time of year for visiting (weather still very good, crowds gone) would help bolster attendance. No doubt we'd loose some from the far east coast, those with limited time in particular, but we'd be there.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some thoughts;

Do we want to hold larger rallies in the east? (assuming that's the case)

Do we want to hold rallies in the midwest or west for our members in that area, even if they are smaller?

As usual, the answers are not easily found.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
I'm going to put in a few things...Winnebago has been a sponsor since 2004 but they did not even donate a door prize in support of our 2012 rally. Next question of course is host and proposal and get all the cost...do we have to rent building, tables, chairs, cost of honey wagon service etc. What is a reasonable cost for rally. What activities are close.
Based on the "lack of door prize" observation this would also exclude several locations for 2013 including quite possibly "Elkhart, Indiana". I don't think it's fair to base such an important decision by applying negative bias toward the value of a door prize.

I did receive return letters from potential sponsors and vendors this year that sent regrets that they would not be able to donate a door prize but to please resubmit the request for 2013. To their credit, they did respond to written requests and did not dismiss the effort out of hand as not worthwhile. I would estimate that a third of the letters that were mailed requesting door prizes were just assigned to the round file however having received a response levels the playing field.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Some thoughts;

Do we want to hold larger rallies in the east? (assuming that's the case)

Do we want to hold rallies in the midwest or west for our members in that area, even if they are smaller?

As usual, the answers are not easily found.
If you have the resouces/volunteers is there any reason not to be able to have an East & West rally in one year.

Since the thought seems to be members won't travel to distant rallies there should be no draining off of the attendance pool.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I attended a Good Sam Rally that had 4000 RVs and it was held at a convention center.
Even parked on asphalt in a parking lot makes for a challenging and brutal stay at times due to the heat.

Mega Rallies (1000+) will always be promoted due to the value that sponsors and vendors offer the attendees. These events also feature upward of 100 seminars often overlapping at the same time. FMCA Conventions are known for putting on these types of events. Unfortunately none of these take place in resorts. These types of events are also planned by paid staffers since they are so complex and require great expenditures.

At the 2012 Rally hosted by volunteer Wagonmasters with 225 persons in attendance, the vendors did well, the members were entertained and fed and I thought that the mix of seminar presentations was just enough.

Vendors provide an added & unexpected revenue stream that facilitate the purchase of rally features that improve the performance of program from free donuts and coffee to all day open beverage stations, these things are nice to have. Unlike the FMCA who might generate 6 figures or more dollars, iRV2 rally planners do appreciate the added benefit of a small revenue stream.

Not too worry too much, but we can still expect that full hookup resort facilities can still support our most ambitious concepts at this time but enlisting a responsible party to match the location is extremely difficult.

For me to book 300 resort sites with full support would only require a "Go for it!" from the front office.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #42
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
No doubt we'd loose some from the far east coast, those with limited time in particular, but we'd be there.
I think this is a very accurate observation.

Closed Thread

Tags
national, rally