Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #43

I have not been around long enough to know, so excuse if this sounds off or something. It is intended only to inquire.
My DW and I still work full time (for years to come for good or bad), and traveling to the west of the Mississippi would be difficult. Has there ever been talk or thoughts of a eastern, central and western get together? We were unable to make it this year as the timing and work loads were not conducive to the trip, despite the want. That was a nice area and it has been a few years since we were there.
Only having to plan contractor interaction I can imagine the planning involved, but wonder if the site gas grown enough to allow for it.
Just my ........ thoughts, on a day I needed to take my break. Someone just walked in the the Cafe that mentioned about the same.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #44
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you have the resources/volunteers is there any reason not to be able to have an East & West rally in one year.
iRV2 should go the extra mile to promote Regional Rallies at every opportunity however I believe that we have explored the split concept previously and it did not gain a lot or enough traction.

Here is a little insight on the broader picture. Very recently RV Industry suppliers and manufacturers were upset to the point where they were compelled to attend several large and expensive RV rally events across the country and these folks were practically up in arms. At some large events you will see where former loyal big company attendees have dropped their participation but even a significant number of smaller vendors have moved away from participating as well

These organizations had to re-rack their rally schedules or they would have been loosing important sponsors so a single event was going to be the preferred concept that made the folks with the sponsorship money better suited to participate. Of course the guys putting on the shows were going to see a large drop in revenue but in these financial times, RV companies don't have endless marketing budgets.

Having a single iRV2 National Rally annual event in my opinion is the only option to sustain growth as an event that will attract members and sponsors or surely divided the National concept may fail.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #45
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Mike in that there has not been enough support or resources for more than one annual National Rally. There are regional rallies that are much smaller in scope, and they are attended by some members who cannot attend the National Rally.

As an above poster notes, if the rally is held in the west, many members from the east don't have the time and/or don't want to drive coast to coast for a rally and vice versa.

We try to move the rally around the country to accommodate members in various areas.

However, there has to be sufficient interest from members, a volunteer Wagonmaster, and a suitable site to hold a rally in any area.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I know this is close to this years rally location but the fact that 100+ RVs attended the 2012 rally proves this area is with in reach of many iRV2 members.

Consider Tom Johnson's Rally Park in Marion, NC. The size would be a good fit.

http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Pag...ally-Park.aspx

The Rally Park at Tom Johnson Camping Center is the perfect location for your group's next RV club event or rally! We offer a 477-site Rally Park, fully equipped with everything a modern camper needs: full-service, handicapped-accessible bathhouses, full hook-up on 330 sites with power, water, and sewer, additional 176 with power and water only, 300 dry camping sites, playground, bonfire ring, horseshoe pit, pavilion seating for up to 2,000 people with kitchen, entertainment stage with sound system, and outdoor amphitheater that's perfect for smaller gatherings and special presentations.

Our staff has more than 22 years experience planning and supporting RV rallies and group events. We have hosted hundreds of RV rallies, from National RV rallies, motorcycle and car shows. We have catering and top-notch entertainment available, it's easy to see why the Tom Johnson Camping Center Rally Park is one of the most popular rally parks in the Southeast.

Our Marion, NC location is just minutes away from a variety of popular and scenic tourism destinations. Located near the picturesque , and close to many Western North Carolina attractions, including the
Blue Ridge Parkway, the Biltmore Estate, Chimney Rock Park, Grandfather Mountain, Lake James, Linville Caverns and Falls, Museum of North Carolina Minerals, Buck Creek Trout Farm, restaurants, specialty shops and more. Visitors can also enjoy whitewater rafting, canoeing, fishing, cycling, golf, hiking and horseback riding.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #47
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Consider Tom Johnson's Rally Park in Marion, NC. The size would be a good fit.
This facility was originally proposed for the 2012 National Rally by this year's Wagonmaster however Sevierville won the day.

Would you want to assume the task of being Wagonmaster? If so, the staff is looking for proposals.

At the end of the day, I expect that the team is going to want to move the rally more than 101 miles east from the 2012 location. Marion is just over the mountain and around the bend from Sevierville.

Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg proved to be a knock-out punch trio!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
12 hours drive time from Tom Johnson Rally Park, Marion, NC.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Would you want to assume the task of being Wagonmaster? If so, the staff is looking for proposals.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
At the end of the day, I expect that the team is going to want to move the rally more than 101 miles east from the 2012 location. Marion is just over the mountain and around the bend from Sevierville.
I suspected that, old buddy.

-Tom

Old 09-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The 2010 Rally in Arizona had poor attendance. Was it properly promoted? I believe nccason from NC attended that rally. If the timing and money situation works for us, we would go to a Rally in the west. I don't think we should exclude the western membership based of one rally. A mid-west rally would be good for the membership on both coasts. Hopefully, a Wagonmaster can be found who could plan one.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not retired yet and cannot spend 3 days driving to a rally and 3 days back home. I would much rather see a regional rally. Forget about having the big boys come in to pedal their coaches, trailer etc. I go to a rally to meet people, share ideas, and have a good time. If I want to look at RV's there are plenty closer to home for me to look at.

As for programs, I feel, technical programs on maintenance and upgrades are a better way to go. There are plenty of folks on this forum with a lot of knowledge that could be shared with the others. Insurance and finiancal folks could share their knowledge as well. They could well volunteer an hour or two to make a presentation at a rally.

I did a presentation and had a Q and A session on RV A/C units and also covered RV refrigerators as well. We have engine experts, CPAs etc. that could be called on.

I would rather see a rally more centrall located than on either coast. Now once I can retire, I can plan my travels to cover either coast.

Well you now have my 2 cents worth and if you added 3 more cents you would ahve a nickel.

Ken
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
The 2010 Rally in Arizona had poor attendance. Was it properly promoted? I believe nccason from NC attended that rally. If the timing and money situation works for us, we would go to a Rally in the west. I don't think we should exclude the western membership based of one rally. A mid-west rally would be good for the membership on both coasts. Hopefully, a Wagonmaster can be found who could plan one.
I have no information regarding how the Arizona Rally was promoted but looking at the list of attendees 38% were from East Coast States and zero from the West Coast States and only one RV from Arizona. It is my understanding that Arizona was selected at the request and specifically to include the West Coast members.

I have no problem going West, we love the West, but I do not see much interest on this thread from members from the West. They need to enter the conversation and convince the rest of us to have a Rally closer to their side of the US.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am not retired yet and cannot spend 3 days driving to a rally and 3 days back home. I would much rather see a regional rally. Forget about having the big boys come in to pedal their coaches, trailer etc. I go to a rally to meet people, share ideas, and have a good time. If I want to look at RV's there are plenty closer to home for me to look at.

As for programs, I feel, technical programs on maintenance and upgrades are a better way to go. There are plenty of folks on this forum with a lot of knowledge that could be shared with the others. Insurance and finiancal folks could share their knowledge as well. They could well volunteer an hour or two to make a presentation at a rally.

I did a presentation and had a Q and A session on RV A/C units and also covered RV refrigerators as well. We have engine experts, CPAs etc. that could be called on.

I would rather see a rally more centrall located than on either coast. Now once I can retire, I can plan my travels to cover either coast.

Well you now have my 2 cents worth and if you added 3 more cents you would ahve a nickel.

Ken
x2 Ken.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Gillette WY is 1400 miles from Houston Texas and 1900 from SC. Amana Iowa is about 1000 miles from here and about 1000 from Houston Texas. Elkhart is further for the members in Texas 1150 vs 750 from SC.

The states with the most attendees for 2012 were, Florida (13), NC (13) Texas (10) SC (7).

Hopefully we can get several proposals submitted and I am sure the 2013 Rally will be great anywhere.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I see it the biggest hurdle for the next rally will be matching the one we just had, just my thought.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #56
doc

Appalachian Campers
John, I agree with you - this was a good rally. I also think it was the perfect storm - ie the right time of year, busy location, beautiful mountains and scenery and near a population center of a large number of members.
Now if people e.xpect 100 + rigs at the National from now on I believe we may have a disappointed membership. One of the things that sold us was the catered meals and knowledge of the facilities at R Plantation. Had we invisioned another fiasco similar to 2011 we would have passed. "Pot Lucks" just don't work with crowds of this size. I do not mind paying for good sevice and we had great service from the caterers.
I have researched and looked at numerous locations for a possible National location. The main sticking points are > Facilities for meals and meetings and room for 100 + rigs. I don't know who set the rule at 100 rigs but with that and the meeting area has certainly cut way down on most of the possibilities.

Iowa? Amana Colonies were founded as a religious colony and they make furniture. Look closely at the place and read about it. I find that it is a great place to drive past as you are heading some place else. I can watch corn and soybeans grow at 60 MPH on I-80.

Florida? Some locations are great, others not so much. The one mentioned - not so much.

Elkhart? Never been there and would like to get some fine tuning done on the coach body. Can't do that because I need a place to sleep while attending the rally.

Alabama on the Gulf? Most promising sounding (IMHO) of those 4. Hard to go wrong with seafood and saltwater anytime.

Myrtle Beach? Been done sooo many times.
Great location and lots of stuff to do but if we want to include members from further west that really doesn't do it.

Forest City Iowa? Winnebago is there and lot of surplus stuff for sale. I personally like long hot showers and honestly, I like it when others have them also. No sewer? No thanks.

I didn't realize Gillette had been mentioned. Beautiful part of the country but much prettier in the spring than in the fall.

I find that smaller rallies are the most fun, but your rally depends on the crowd and the mixing. 2012 had great mixing and a lot of fun people. We may disappoint ourselves if we try to out-do each successive rally and miss a lot of fun and fellowship.

Tags
national, rally