Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #57
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Tracy,

Can you post a list of states that the attendees were from and the # from each state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Gillette WY is 1400 miles from Houston Texas and 1900 from SC. Amana Iowa is about 1000 miles from here and about 1000 from Houston Texas. Elkhart is further for the members in Texas 1150 vs 750 from SC.

The states with the most attendees for 2012 were, Florida (13), NC (13) Texas (10) SC (7).

Hopefully we can get several proposals submitted and I am sure the 2013 Rally will be great anywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #58
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No matter where you put the rally it will be out of reach, time/distance wise, for some members. The numbers given for the most attendees per state don't surprise me given the proximity of those states to this year's rally. It might be interesting to see how many active members we have in every state.

I'd expect the rally to continue to grow with each success and as membership grows. As is obvious from the discussion, the biggest challenge is finding someone with the time, tallent and willingness to take the reins as wagonmaster. For that reason the wagonmaster will have a strong influence on location. I suspect should someone from, say, Oregon, just for the sake of argument, were to step forward with a workable destination, site and the willingness to lead the charge we'd have a "western" rally, but so far most of the volunteers have been from the east.

I suspect some here think this site is run by some large conglomerate with unlimited resources. Truth is, all you need these days to start and maintain a successful site like iRV2 is a computer, a passion for the subject matter, and enough interested volunteers to keep it running. This site is, for the most part, maintained by volunteers. The administrators and the moderators as well as the wagonmasters are all unpaid volunteers. The wagonmasters have to put a LOT of time and thought into a successful rally and at our pay scale, it is a challenge to find the dedicated individuals with the time and the will to do this on behalf of the rest of us. My hat is off to all those who have done so in the past and those willing to take on the responsibility in the future.

Where ever the rally ends up, those that are able to attend will, no doubt, have a great time. Those that can not attend can do so vicariously though the posts and photos of those that did.

We can all take something positive away from a good rally.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #59
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Now if people expect 100 + rigs at the National from now on I believe we may have a disappointed membership.
I believe that this is a realistic expectation given our growth. 100 rigs attending is approximately .0001 (if my math is good) of out the total of registered members. This rally was sold out and I expect that doing so in the future given reasonable expectations is not impossible.

Quote:
One of the things that sold us was the catered meals and knowledge of the facilities at R Plantation. Had we envisioned another fiasco similar to 2011 we would have passed. "Pot Lucks" just don't work with crowds of this size. I do not mind paying for good service and we had great service from the caterers.
In the past, pot luck dinners for large quantities of people by in large have worked however in Bethpage people forgot that there were over a 150 people in the room that needed to be fed. Although I take full responsibility for its failure, I would point out that it was not for lack of trying. A lot of planning went into the effort however when people fill up cafeteria sized trays - all of that planning goes for naught.

Had there been table monitors that reminded folks that they should only take 1 portion rather than 6 it would have worked. More manpower would have had to have been allocated in the after thought to make this work but all of those people in the hall are my friends and I was unwilling to begin discipling the participants.

I have participated in larger pot lucks that have been successful and that success can only be realized if everyone makes a conscious effort. On that particular evening I was last to go though the line and there wasn't anything to eat other than what everyone else had already passed on.

Pot luck dinners are a lot of fun and a noble pursuit. The intention is to share good will and a family atmosphere where we can all come together in fellowship and share.

Quote:
I have researched and looked at numerous locations for a possible National location. The main sticking points are > Facilities for meals and meetings and room for 100 + rigs. I don't know who set the rule at 100 rigs but with that and the meeting area has certainly cut way down on most of the possibilities.
There is no 100 rig rule however there is a 100 rig "Welcome Mat". ... after all who would we exclude from attending and why should we not pursue a facility large enough to accommodate any eventuality. If the rally is smaller .. so be it however given the choice I would encourage anyone that wants to attend the opportunity to do so.

I am currently attending a rally that was booked for 100 sites however only 22 rigs are coming to the event. Rather than cut bait and run, we will do the best that we can with what we have but I can guarantee one thing, we will have a good time.

Quote:
Alabama on the Gulf? Most promising sounding (IMHO) of those 4. Hard to go wrong with seafood and saltwater anytime.
Of the suggestions that you have commented on I agree with your choice for the Alabama shores. We love the ocean front and the salt air.

Speaking for Mrs. DriVer; she is always dreaming about having a National Rally in Central Florida close to Walt Disney World. The time table on the other hand is critical - the 2 weeks after Thanksgiving have the smallest crowds and shortest waiting times.

Quote:
I find that smaller rallies are the most fun, but your rally depends on the crowd and the mixing. 2012 had great mixing and a lot of fun people. We may disappoint ourselves if we try to out-do each successive rally and miss a lot of fun and fellowship.
We plan on attending as many small rallies as possible in our region and camp with friends.

If we were NASA, should we have better thought that achieving orbit was an impossible dream and we need to stop in that comfort zone so let's leave the moon on the table. In my opinion, the National Rally is our annual signature event and we should encourage sustainable growth if it meets the needs of the attendees.

The barometer is simple, if the event fails to meet the standard that we have currently established - the place is going to be pretty empty. At this point in our evolution, I don't believe that we can look back but we need to look forward and continue to build on success.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #60

x 2 !!!

Excellent points all! As someone who has yet to attend a rally, I'm expecting to have my coach next year and look forward to the 2013 rally, no matter where, when, or how many do (or do NOT) attend.

One point - I have hosted/attended pot luck dinners, and big eaters can certainly skew the portion counts - BUT ....

as one of those big eaters, I will say it can be hard to pass up samples of everything - especially when everyone brings their "best" recipes!

One solution I have found to work is for everyone to consider how and what they eat ... then just bring a dish that compensates. If you are a nibbler on the main courses, but love to try EVERY dessert ... then bring a LARGE dessert recipe (or two!) so there will be equivalent amounts for others.

If you pass on the desserts, but LOVE the meat/main dishes and casseroles, then make your contribution a substantially sized meat/main dish.

That way, everyone can eat guilt free, there's enough for everyone, and if you are lucky enough to have any leftovers on your dish, you can trade it off to someone else with leftovers.!

Alternatively, I have had good results at church potlucks (Thanksgiving potlucks for 100+) for everyone to contribute a small amount ($1-$2-$3) and have the meat portion provided (ham, turkey, chicken ...) and then all participants bring the add-ons, side dishes, and desserts. Single guys can bring drinks and ice and snack foods ... or stuff from the deli...

(Edit: Actually, deli stuff is legal for anyone who doesn't want to cook! Potato salad, macaroni salad, desserts, fried chicken ... they offer so many things now that work well.)

And if they don't want to admit they are a "big" eater and bring two dishes to pass, they can always say they just brought the second one for the "OTHER" big eaters! LOL!

Looking forward to 2013.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #61

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Tracy,

Can you post a list of states that the attendees were from and the # from each state?

I am working on putting the list in order of states and in pdf form and will get posted by tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #62
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
I am working on putting the list in order of states and in pdf form and will get posted by tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We are about as far west as you can get and are planning on attending next years event if at all possible, we travel a lot and that was before we got our m.h. in August. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone in May or June but would put it off if the rally was held in that area, we could kill 2 birds with one stone, go to the rally and see all that the area has to offer. Lucky that we are retired so we don't have time restrictions. Hope more people post from the west to show that there is an interest out here besides little ole me.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #64

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I would not be interested in attending a rally that was not a tourist destination or had other things to do, whether it is fishing, golf, hiking, etc. etc. I would drive to either coast and the middle too. Somewhere like Garden of the Gods in Colorado.

We had planned to be at this years rally, but my DH had surgery and they just wouldn't let us bring his doctors and nurses along, nor the pharmacy. Can't understand why not. ;-)

We plan be there next year.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Is there somewhere I can see where past rallies were held, and what the count was of attendees? Just want to check out a hunch...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #66
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Is there somewhere I can see where past rallies were held, and what the count was of attendees? Just want to check out a hunch...
Did you miss not seeing this thread ??

National Rally Attendees 2000-2011
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #67
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
He's not the only one that missed it.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #68

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Central NY about 40 miles north of Syracuse.
Foothills of the Adirondack Mts.

RV Campgrounds - Brennan Beach RV Campgrounds & Resort in New York, Largest RV Park in the Northeast
300 transient sites, large pavilion, busy during high season.
Golf nearby, this time of year Salmon start running.
Leaf peeping, apple picking, Boat tours of the Thousand Islands.

We/ I would be willing to help w/ a rally where ever.

Gotta start getting some use out of our new to us MACA, once the DW heals from her 9th surgery.

Keith
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will naturally get more people participating in the NE as the population density in much higher than the western states. The whole state of North Dakota only has about 640,000 residents. The Houston Metro area alone has over 4,000,000 residents. NY pales this by a bunch.

So just on population density, you will see fewer participants in the more western and some Midwestern states. Looking at the AZ rally vs the eastern ones in like looking at apples and bananas.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #70

We are travelers after all.....

As far as the discussion of a future rally site goes. I think the biggest factor is the rally master's preference. When it is all said and done, we are all travelers and love to see different areas of this great US of A. For rvjimmy and I we are still working, ( yes a couple more years) So those of us with limited vacation time the location can be a bigger factor but the talk of how close to members the site is, seems kind of interesting to me. Wouldn't you rather GO to the rally and not have it across the road from home?? I'd like to see the middle states Elkhart or Iowa. But that's mostly because of the limited vacation time. We had an awesome time in Sieverville for our 1st rally.

Closed Thread

Tags
national, rally