Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #15

I understand the frustration some of you feel, but seeing I'm a Rally Director for another rally, I know what your directors are going thru. A lot of Campgrounds close this time of year and getting in touch with them is very hard. If this rally crew is anything like ours we like to get some input from the masses to lead us in a direction to make the rally as exciting as we can. I too might consider attending this rally, depending when it is. Thanks to all the directors for your hard work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
The rally organizers do deserve a great big thank you. And I'll join in and say it too. THANK YOU.

But, and you could see the but coming right... my suggestion is to be planning the rally 16 - 18 months out. That way the organizers can make the rally cycle more continuous rather than the wait and see, step-function, that iRV2 finds itself dealing with currently. The transition to this announcement approach would make more work for rally organizers at first. But within one or two rally cycles the work would be more evenly distributed over the time period and the effort would balance out to still be planning one rally per year. The main difference is attendees could plan ahead.

Imagine the "synergy" (oh my gosh I used a word my wife said I should never use after I retired!) of announcing the upcoming rally (i.e. next years rally) at the end of the current rally. The excitement experienced at the current rally would more easily carry over to the next rally and people could immediately start registering. That scenario would create a degree of contagion that would filter through to other iRV2 forum members.

Identifying the rally location 16 - 18 months in advance would also allow additional iRV2 members to volunteer with organizing the rally. When all the planning activities are crammed into 12 months or so it's more difficult to provide time for others to be involved. I'm guessing the current planning effort is borne by just a few. I think more time to plan/organize would allow a larger number of people to be involved. I could be entirely wrong about this and I apologize for bringing up the subject if it's been tried in the past and found not to work effectively. I was hoping that my suggestion would be considered a good thing for iRV2. My comments are not intended to indicate otherwise.

Right now we're holding September open but that's difficult to do when many other activities we are interested in have already announced their dates.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lucius, with all due respect, though your suggestions are in the right place, as Jay stated, we don't have the staffing capability of the large organizations to do this nor the members willing to step up to organize our rallies. There is a committee in place for organizing our rallies now, but as Jay also stated, these people are unpaid volunteers & have lives outside of iRV2. They have done an absolutely remarkable job the past years & work very hard to make our rally a success. I am grateful to them for their dedication to iRV2. I find it disappointing & disheartening to feel I have to defend the fine work they do.

We tried, many times, to announce the next year's rally at the current one & we were successful a handful of times early on. But that was because we had a group of members who were willing to take on the responsibility & our membership base was much, much smaller. If you look back at the rallies listed in the Wagonmaster Forum, attendance averaged around 50 rigs. Now it's double that, or more. Some members have organized multiple rallies (myself included). It would be nice if others would step up. Many have an opinion on why we should be announcing sooner, yet no one wants to coordinate one.

You state you are retired & you appear to have the rally cycle announcing mapped out. Maybe you would be willing to select the campground & organize the rally for 2017 or 2018 so it can be announced earlier.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well said Lori. Having served as a committee member in the past, it is an ongoing process throughout the year and especially the Wagon Master and Registrar, who work very hard for the members. Personally, I don't plan a year out. If we can make the rally good, if we can't, then we will try another year.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #19

The Rally I'm in charge of started with 49 rigs and has grown to over 125. We might even hit 135 then the campground is maxed. The advantage for us is that the rally is always at the same campground, people can put their name on the list for next year and the manufacturer is involved. I do all the organizing and they bring in a some vendors, provide a meal and service units for a week around the rally. But for the most part I do most of it. Collect fees, take the registrations, communicate with the campground, get door prizes, organize the activities, meals outings. It takes an entire year to get it together. It pretty much rules my life. Getting more people involved would certainly ease the burden on everyone. Having someone step up now for a rally in 2017 would help to get it moving. I can't take on another one or I certainly would get involved.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FYI, the campground that has been negotiated for the 2016 rally started in 2014 prior to the Myrtle Beach rally. I probably shouldn't be posting this but work did start well in advance. When you change the destination year to year you are at the mercy of the campgrounds in the area to work out the details. We asked for recommended locations, selected the one with the most response and began. Just waiting on campground that supports our needs to complete their end of the deal. In case you ask, recommendations were asked during the Myrtle Beach and Nashville rallies, informally even though tentative locations were being looked at and I spoke with a campground in the area I recommended. Driver works hard at securing the best site and making sure our needs are met. I always say, if anyone sees a problem, come up with a solution. All i know is I will continue to support the rallies I attend and make them as enjoyable as possible. Safe Travels and hope to see you at the rally.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You state you are retired & you appear to have the rally cycle announcing mapped out. Maybe you would be willing to select the campground & organize the rally for 2017 or 2018 so it can be announced earlier.
Yes, I am willing to help but I'm not the right person to "run" the rally. I know my limitations. Committee member - okay. Rally organizer - not okay.

I have offered to help in the past. I suggested two different presentations/seminars and for some reason my offer was not accepted. The same seminars have been very well received at other rallies.

Several years ago I was able to help with some of the planning for the iRV2 rally in Iowa. Unfortunately, the program I had in mind was not well received by iRV2 forum members so it was never added to the rally program.

I'm sure this sounds like sour grapes - I only mention it to say that I have done more than simply post on the forum. I've tried to do even more - seminars and day-trips but I must not have the same interests as the rally organizers.

The rally selection and announcement process seems to be clouded in mystery. At least it is for me. A post on this thread indicates the 2016 rally site is already determined but can't be announced yet there was a recent thread asking if a "western" site was a good idea for 2016 and would it be supported by iRV2 members west of the Mississippi. It's difficult to imagine how both of these - predetermined site and a simultaneous survey of rally locations - could both be true.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The rally selection and announcement process seems to be clouded in mystery. At least it is for me.
Lucius, Thereís really no mystery to planning a rally, actually based on the rallies Iíve been involved with, itís all pretty basic stuff.

You might want to check out Madame Boomer's thread on Rally Master's Forum - iRV2 Forums listed under the REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES section.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
...Several years ago I was able to help with some of the planning for the iRV2 rally in Iowa. ...
A point of clarification, only 2 people planned the Amana Colonies rally. Janet was one & I the other. And with the blessed help of the members who attended, were able to pull off a rather nice, small rally. We had just 1 seminar (member requested), yet we enjoyed renewing old & beginning new friendships that'll last a lifetime. Maybe that isn't some people's cup of tea, but it was greatly enjoyed by those who attended.

Quote:
... A post on this thread indicates the 2016 rally site is already determined but can't be announced yet there was a recent thread asking if a "western" site was a good idea for 2016 and would it be supported by iRV2 members west of the Mississippi. It's difficult to imagine how both of these - predetermined site and a simultaneous survey of rally locations - could both be true.
Both can be true. Multiple campgrounds may be in the running & it's a matter of what campground can best meet our needs & returns a signed contract first that drives a location.

Right now we have just 1 small group of very dedicated members who plan our yearly rally. We also have dedicated members who step up to help, especially once they've arrived at the rally, but it's really just that small core that do the actual planning. And they do an awesome job at it. Once a location is locked down, all their efforts are focused on that year's rally. They don't have the time to work on the following year until the current one is over, or near to over. Again, that might not sit well with those that like to plan a year or more ahead. If the timing isn't right when the announcement is made, there's always the next time.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
San Antonio Texas would be a great place,lots to do there.That's in the middle for everyone.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
**Never push a loyal person to the point where they donít care**
Old 12-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Stanley, you are right that is a good area to hold one. There was one actually held at Alamo Fiesta Campground in Boerne, TX. in 2004. The Texas Boomers hosted it. It took us a year to get everything accomplished. Everyone that attended had a great time. Sandy Creekmore, AKA Madame Boomer, was the Wagon Master and she did a great job. All of the members pitched in and we had fun planning and helping with it.

Jerry

PS. I noticed you live in Midland. We live in Big Spring.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
2016 iRV2.com International Rally

1st of all, thank you for your "patience" as we sorted through a number of issues that we needed to get behind us.

On this Christmas Eve, I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a prosperous and Happy New Year.

The 2016 iRV2.com International Rally will be held beginning on Sunday, September 11 through Saturday, September 17, 2016. These are confirmed dates. Please know that although the rally ends on Saturday you are not obliged to leave until Sunday since we took the option to book a weekly rate.

The location for the rally is:

The Elkhart Campground
25608 County Road 4 East
Elkhart, IN. 46514
(574)264-2914

As in the past, you are requested to call the campground, identify yourself as an iRV2 member, quote the dates listed above and book your own site. The majority (125) of the sites are 50A pull through, full hook-up. Anything after that will be a full-hookup 30A site. We have reserved 150 sites and there will be a little wiggle room for a few more.

IF you are currently a 30A RV, please ask for a 30A site and allow a 50A rig to book those sites. Last year we lost a few registrations because we ran out of 50A sites however that wasn't our fault since those folks were trying to register in August. AGAIN; if you are coming and you want a 50A site "Book Early." The weekly rate for a 50A site is $200.00. The campground will ask for a $40.00 campsite registration fee that is refundable up to 30 prior to the rally date. (~August 11, 2016)

NOTE: The campground has agreed to begin taking reservations on or after January 15, 2016. Please note that there are up to a dozen designated Handicap sites. If you are the holder of a handicap placard or plate and need one of those, please ask at the time of your campsite booking.

This is just a pre-release announcement. The (Official Thread) "2016 International Rally" will be developed soon. As of today, we have NOT set a rally fee and we expect to have our RegOnline up and operational by mid-April, 2016.

We fully expect to book gourmet catering, great entertainment and excellent seminars. We are also planning to add a movie night with popcorn and ice cream. Several vendors will participate and we will develop fun activities including games and electronic Bingo like we did in Nashville.

We are "Excited" to bring our International Rally into the heart of the RV Industry and we hope that our Elkhart, Indiana rally will be one of the very best yet!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A wonderful Christmas present for the iRV2 members. Elkhart is smack in the middle of RV manufacturing country & Amish & Mennonite culture with all the wonderful shops & food. It's also within a few minutes drive to the RV/MH Hall of Fame, a must-see for any RV owner.

Looking forward to attending.

Lori-

Closed Thread

Tags
rally