Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Advice

I'm new to the RV lifestyle, so forgive me if I ask too many stupid questions. My fiance and I just purchased a 1988 Winnebago after deciding that we wanted to RV full time. We have 9 children between us but only 5 full time (mine) so we know it's going to be cramped. We've lived in a camper first just to feel it out and they've adjusted well.

This being an older rv, it has come with its issues. We had a power issue right out of the gate that turned out to be an easy fix. Then an issue with the water but thankfully it was only a leaky faucet. Once he figured our how to light the pilot, we were cooking with gas. Now we have a concerning issue I have no clue how to address.

After about 24 hours of using the toilet with the black water tank closed, we get this horrible stench both through the toilet itself and outside near the hatches where the tank is located. There is no leak that we can see and once we empty the tank the smell leaves until the next day. I know from previous research that your not supposed to leave the blackwater tank open due to the solids becoming too solid. The lady who owned it previously said she never closed the valve so my fear is that the solids are going to have to be broken up.

We have limited funds at the moment, so the cheaper the fix the better. If anyone has any ideas or if anyone is familiar with Winnebago, just any advice in general is welcome and appreciated.
Desto5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

You might try filling the black tank plumb full (till it comes up to the neck in the toilet) and let it sit for a couple days (you can't use it ), then try dumping it and flushing with LOTS of water through the toilet hole (be careful and don't let it splash back into your face:-(. Get a toilet flush wand and put screws in all the holes except one so it has a strong spray in only one direction (perpendicular to the wand shaft) and with the valve open and dump hose in the dump hole, really wash out the tank by turning the wand in all directions through the toilet. This may take 15 mins. If you can get most of it out , fill to top again and add some detergent while filling and let it sit again and do it all over again. You have to get the old poop pile out of there.
I had a 40 yr old TT that once the tank was clean we never had any smells. We made sure the tank was clean every time we dumped.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
If when looking into the toilet (with the half ball/dump trap door open you can see into the black tank, You might try a "toilet wand" hooked to a garden hose to try to loosen the "pile of doom".
The other thought is that on an RV of that age, you may just have very small holding tanks..(when compared to the newer RV's)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What about filling it about half full of water, add a couple of cups of cheap liquid detergent to break down the surface tension so it mixes better. We always use a cup or two of Calgon water softener powder again to break down the surface tension. Now take it for a 100 or so mile drive. The sloshing around will help with breaking down what might be in there.

If you haven't done so yet get a clear 4" sewer 90 or 45 degree fitting so you can see how dirty or clean the water is when it's coming out of your holding tank valve.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Also check your plumbing vents; if they are stopped up you will get sewer and/or gray water smell.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Your black tank has a vent out the roof too. make sure the vent is clear all the way down to the tank. Run a wire to make sure there are no wasp nests, leaves etc. That vent is pretty important in keeping smells out of your RV
Old 07-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
While this is a slower method, it does work. Buy a tub of Happy Camper Extreme Extreme. Available from Amazon $23. It is designed to clean your tanks. Then use the regular Happy Camper regularly. Checking vents is good idea too.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I would first treat the black tank with the Happy Camper Extreme, then continue to use the Happy Camper treatment. We've been using it since 2001 and never have any odors.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #9

Before you try anything you should check the vent to make sure it's clear. Also, the toilet shouldn't smell- make sure there's always water sitting in it. This stop the smell from coming up into the bathroom (unless your seals are messed up).
KZVanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZVanh View Post
Before you try anything you should check the vent to make sure it's clear. Also, the toilet shouldn't smell- make sure there's always water sitting in it. This stop the smell from coming up into the bathroom (unless your seals are messed up).
Even if the seals are kaputski, it isn't all that expensive to replace/service them..
(stinky job? yes ... but it isn't rocket science)

https://www.marinesan.com/AboutUs.asp
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #11

Good luck, Im sure the above suggestions will solve the problem.

Be sure to add your info including your winnie to your profile.
Macbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We used some dishwasher detergent and about ten gallons of water in the tank then took a curvy road to a campground with full hooks ups. Filled the black tank with hot water and dumped it. Refilled the tank with hot water and let it sit about 30 minutes and then filled it all the way up and dumped it. Helped us. Also, I guess the RV sat for a long time without water in the tanks so the drain valve started to leak. Fixed that and now make sure it has at lease 5 gallons of water in the tanks after we dump.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #13

Desoto, I have no wish to interfere with your dream so please take this with the concern with the desire to see no harm to come to you or your family. I just ask that you consider the downside of your plans.

First, let me say this as I come from being the one that is called when nobody else knows what to do when stuff goes bad, along with a heavy background in incident planning and command. We are on a 4-5 year plan to going full time after we have everything together. I noticed that you haven't been back to the forum since your original posting, and if you do read this, I am not asking for a reply of justification. Like I said, please just consider my points. This is nothing that I haven't seen before.

You are starting off with a 20 year old coach and 7 warm bodies. Camping in a camper has it's challenges, but they will be multiplied in a moving coach.

Naturally, your first challenge will be income. Will you have a sufficient source to pay your day to day expenses, routine maintenance, fuel, coach insurance, health insurance, and food along with the materials for the homeschooling of the children? Then there are the unexpected expenses such as a cut tire, belt or hose failure, air conditioner, generator failure, or a stop off at an urgent care for an illness or injury. Then there are the next level of failures to consider. A more serious or illness, and a serious failure with a major part on the coach, such as engine, transmission, suspension, or collision rendering the coach inoperable. Then not only do you have a no "home", you also have no transportation. Then you have to be prepared not only for the repair, but to house 7 people for more than a week or 2 while waiting for repair, plus the expenses of the repair. Will you still have a "home base" and if so how will you get back to it? I know that a collision that is not your fault will have somewhat less of an impact, but then what? They will want to settle very quickly and you want be much in a position to fight for long with young kids.

My friend, my concern isn't so much for you and your girlfriend but the kids. You are starting off with a 20 year old coach that you know very little about and by your admission, very little money. I don't expect that you will be starting this adventure with thousands in little gold coins stashed throughout the coach as a maintenance or emergency fund, nor have the credit for it.

This is what I consider the "elephant in the room". I see many times about throwing caution to the wind and just doing it (full timing), but never a fall back position. Like I said, I am the one that gets the call when somebody shows up with a dead coach, no money and no options and I would hate to see these 7, or anybody else in this spot.

I just hope that this is taken entirely in the spirit of concern with which it is intended.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Desoto, I have no wish to interfere with your dream so please take this with the concern with the desire to see no harm to come to you or your family.
I just ask that you consider the downside of your plans.
Like I said, I am the one that gets the call when somebody shows up with a dead coach, no money and no options and I would hate to see these 7, or anybody else in this spot.

I just hope that this is taken entirely in the spirit of concern with which it is intended.
Please heed!

Tags
advice