Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #15

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I agree with Mr_D, that the failed Tp sensor broke, and leaving the broke remains on the valve stem, slowly let the air out of the tire, and you ran it flat! Happens, learn from it, and move on! The important thing is that nothing else was damaged, or caught fire, as it could have been really bad!
Did you run over anything, or rub a curb, earlier, that could have broke the TPMS? And I would call the TPMS co. and report the sensor failing, see what they say? Glad it was just a tire, and everyone is safe! Rail!
He hit a stanchion (the kind for road construction) that took off the sensor. It was more in the lane than the rest. In order to avoid it, he would have been off the other side.

So the TPMS wasn't faulty...it just got completely REMOVED in a big hurry so it thought it had a flat. The TMPS did the job exactly as it should have up until it got separated from the wheel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post

No, no indication of anything catastrophic. A few miles previously, the TPMS sensor (TST 507 Flow Thru) was knocked off. The alarm went off and the tire pressure read zero (0 psig) for that particular tire. We pulled off and did a visual inspection of the tire. Other than the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem, nothing was out of the ordinary. 10 miles later, we had what you saw in the picture.
There was some reason for the sensor being knocked off. Plus I would also consider having a sensor knocked off of a tire to be catastrophic.

I am guessing that when that occurred it caused a slow leak in the stem which went unnoticed. The under-inflated tire then heated up causing the damaged tire.

Same thing happened to me except my Doran TPMS sensor was still on the trailer tire but it had just quit on me. Unfortunately that same tire went flat and I had no idea until a very nice Canadian alerted me to the flat and destroyed trailer tire. Got rid of the Doran TPMS (too many problems) and now have the Tire SafeGuard TPMS. I am VERY happy with the reliability of the TPMS.

BTW, I use all CAP sensors as the flow-thru ones are just too big.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #17

Quote:
We pulled off and did a visual inspection of the tire. Other than the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem, nothing was out of the ordinary. 10 miles later, we had what you saw in the picture.
cbramsey
Perhaps you should have removed "the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem" ?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #18

You mentioned that that tire always ran the hottest of all the tires . . . . One reason that a tire can run hotter is brakes dragging (does you dolly have brakes and if so, have they been inspected?)

Another reason for running hotter is wheel bearings, either tightened too much, or perhaps failing. When was the last time your dolly wheel bearings were removed, inspected and re-greased?

Just a few thoughts!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You mentioned that that tire always ran the hottest of all the tires . . . . One reason that a tire can run hotter is brakes dragging (does you dolly have brakes and if so, have they been inspected?)

Another reason for running hotter is wheel bearings, either tightened too much, or perhaps failing. When was the last time your dolly wheel bearings were removed, inspected and re-greased?

Just a few thoughts!
This was the tow dolly's inaugural trip. We bought it brand new and other than towing it home 20+ miles from the dealer, it had not made any other trips yet. Total miles on the dolly...less than 3,000. Actually closer to 2500.

Yes, it has brakes...nothing was dragging that either of us noticed...except maybe our asses,

So if any of that was an issue, it came to us from the factory in that shape (brand new).

Unfortunately tires are not covered under the tow dolly warranty.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #20

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Quote:
We pulled off and did a visual inspection of the tire. Other than the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem, nothing was out of the ordinary. 10 miles later, we had what you saw in the picture.
cbramsey
Perhaps you should have removed "the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem" ?
I asked him, he did. I knew he had it in his hand when we stopped to check. He put it back in th ziplock with the extra parts inside the coach.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #21

If you are towing a heavy car and it's placed on the dolly, towards the curb side, that tire could carry a bit more weight. That could account for the higher temp.

As far as the tire failure, all bets are off, after pushing it against a construction barrier. To knock a sensor off, the tire sidewall had to hit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you are towing a heavy car and it's placed on the dolly, towards the curb side, that tire could carry a bit more weight. That could account for the higher temp.

As far as the tire failure, all bets are off, after pushing it against a construction barrier. To knock a sensor off, the tire sidewall had to hit.
Ford Escape...well, within the 5,000 lb limit of the current hitch.

I am thinking that the little bit of time (2-3 mins) between hitting the stanchion (one of those orange plastic ones) and being SAFELY able to check it, the remainder of the sensor was letting air out. And while it looked fine, it probably was under inflated by then. One thing we failed to do was recheck the tire pressure then. Lesson learned.

But until we lost the sensor, the pressure was reading within a lb of the other tow dolly tire.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
That is a possibility.

The tire condition is that of a classic "Run Low Flex Failure". If you looke closely at the ends of the body ply cords all around the edge that looks like the "knife cut" I a pretty confident you will find melted polyester cord.
I covered this type of failure over 5 years ago in my blog.

Your TPMS indicated 0 psi. Did you check the tire pressure when you stopped? Did you do a quick spray or splash of soapy water to check for a leak? Any of these actions might have indicated the air leak and if you had changed tires or stopped the leak at that time you might have saved the cost of a tire.

Why did the TPMS break off? Did it extend well past the tire sidewall or edge of the wheel? If so you should be running a short valve stem and smaller TPMS sensor to help prevent this problem in the future.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #24

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The tire condition is that of a classic "Run Low Flex Failure". If you looke closely at the ends of the body ply cords all around the edge that looks like the "knife cut" I a pretty confident you will find melted polyester cord.
I covered this type of failure over 5 years ago in my blog.

Your TPMS indicated 0 psi. Did you check the tire pressure when you stopped? Did you do a quick spray or splash of soapy water to check for a leak? Any of these actions might have indicated the air leak and if you had changed tires or stopped the leak at that time you might have saved the cost of a tire.

Why did the TPMS break off? Did it extend well past the tire sidewall or edge of the wheel? If so you should be running a short valve stem and smaller TPMS sensor to help prevent this problem in the future.
Tireman, I realize you are a busy person but the answers are all in this thread to all the questions you just posted.