Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best road to get there?

We will be coming from the North, down 75.

What route would you all suggest - the maps on line seem to ignore I'm driving a 36+' long vehicle and at one point by the campground indicates a u-turn...

I see we could take 40 across and then down which is shorter on non-interstate rds but longer than getting off of 275 and taking a longer non-interstate route, but appears to be an overall shorter route.

Thanks so much -
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take 75 to 640 north of Knoxville. I believe the signs will say to Ashville. Take that around to 40 east. Get off at exit 407. Go south. Sorry, but after that I can't direct you to the campground. But as far as 75 south goes this is the best route in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Bobby
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneb View Post
Take 75 to 640 north of Knoxville. I believe the signs will say to Ashville. Take that around to 40 east. Get off at exit 407. Go south. Sorry, but after that I can't direct you to the campground. But as far as 75 south goes this is the best route in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Bobby
I agree---this is route I take from Cincinnati area & can be done in 5-6 hours unless stopping for food or gas. 300 miles from Cincy to campground. and (no) you don't need to made a u-turn into CG. roadway is 3 lanes each way with a center divider I think. at least it was in 2010 when we were there last. campground is on left side (get into left lane) when getting near. someone can give you a little more details as to when to get into left lane. I can make turn towing a car with no problems.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
There is a BP gas station right next to the left turn you have to make to get into the campground. You do not have to make a U turn.

Jerry
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Same question coming from the south either on I-85 north or US 441? Driving 35 ft gasser with toad. Wonder if it's better to go long way around and avoid men's on 441 through the park.
GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiShaw View Post
Same question coming from the south either on I-85 north or US 441? Driving 35 ft gasser with toad. Wonder if it's better to go long way around and avoid men's on 441 through the park.
We'll be staying in Hiawassee for a few days prior to the rally. We plan on heading up to US64, then west on US64 to north on TN 68 then east on US411 to Sevierville.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

FYI - Using Google Satellite view can give you a heads-up on potential difficulties. I even use it to figure the best way to enter Cracker Barrel parking lots, because they can be a bit crazy even though they may be listed as RV PARKING.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Just arrived at River Plantation a couple of hours ago. Coming in from Kentucky, took I65 south through Nashville, then I40 east through Knoxville.

We hit Nashville about 11-ish and drove straight through, no traffic. I40 has some construction, but lanes are not narrowed down. Again, straight through!

Took Exit 407 (thanks droneb), turned south and found the BP (thanks jdoc!) and the turn is right there!

It seems my GPS doesn't know about the turn lane that has been put in, as it wanted us to U-turn just like Google maps... No need - there is a turn right into the campground!
Dutch-n-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Can't wait to gt there. Trying to figure out the best way from Greensboro, NC. We have never been to that area. Some of our friends say go 40 to 441 and some say go 77 to 81 to 66. They say on 40 you have to pull Black Mountain and then between Asheville and 441 is hilly and curvy. I was told that 77 would have to cross the Blue Ridge and that was the only mountain that we would have to climb. The ones that have told us this does not have a RV.
We have a 89 Coachman 37 ft long, pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so we know when we hit a mountain.
We would appreciate others opinions of these roads.
We will see you Sunday. We are on site 180.
Tommy and Reba Smith
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsmith45 View Post
Can't wait to gt there. Trying to figure out the best way from Greensboro, NC. We have never been to that area. Some of our friends say go 40 to 441 and some say go 77 to 81 to 66. They say on 40 you have to pull Black Mountain and then between Asheville and 441 is hilly and curvy. I was told that 77 would have to cross the Blue Ridge and that was the only mountain that we would have to climb. The ones that have told us this does not have a RV.
We have a 89 Coachman 37 ft long, pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so we know when we hit a mountain.
We would appreciate others opinions of these roads.
We will see you Sunday. We are on site 180.
Tommy and Reba Smith
I've traveled both roads when visiting Carolinas. I prefer 77 (less traffic) but isn't this going out of your way? black mountain is a long hard climb
& like you said I-40 from Ashville down to Tennessee line is curvy & fast moving traffic. I prefer to avoid I-40 eastbound--westbound is better when you go home from rally.

suggestion; if you decide to climb black mountain hill---why don't you disconnect toad vehicle & climb hill, then reattach at top. I've considered doing this myself---35' gas motorhome & toad.

someone coming in from Carolinas may have better ideas.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
I've traveled both roads when visiting Carolinas. I prefer 77 (less traffic) but isn't this going out of your way? black mountain is a long hard climb
& like you said I-40 from Ashville down to Tennessee line is curvy & fast moving traffic. I prefer to avoid I-40 westbound--eastbound is better when you go home from rally.

suggestion; if you decide to climb black mountain hill---why don't you disconnect toad vehicle & climb hill, then reattach at top. I've considered doing this myself---35' gas motorhome & toad.

someone coming in from Carolinas may have better ideas.
have a safe trip whichever way you come.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Arrived at about 15:00. Weather is great and there are thousands of cars for a classic car show. Both sides of Parkway for 3 miles or so are lined with them.

We came from the south across the mountain. No problems and light traffic. On 186
Check in office has moved to the right of the parking area. New building about a month old.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote