Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
What forms of computer hook up does the campground have..dial up, wifi? Both? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
What forms of computer hook up does the campground have..dial up, wifi? Both? Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Doris,

I'm reasonably sure they'll have both.

It's my understanding the campground owner has recently installed a WiFi system which will be offered to us free. Also, the Prescott's have a Direcway dish on their motorhome and has it connected to a wireless router. He's offered to allow folks to get onto his system if the signal is adequate.

When I was there in September, they had a shared phone line in the office which can be used for dial-up.

I expect our wagonmaster will add a comment if what I've posted isn't accurate. See y'all soon.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mill Bridge is waiting for Comcast to install the cable modem. The wireless router and access points are on order. I will install the wireless gear when I arrive at the campground on the 15th/16th. The router also has several wired connections so I am hoping to provide both wired and wireless capability. Of course, this all depends on Comcast getting their act together.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:01 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Thanks..I have dial up, and may have a laptop with wifi with me...which I'm clueless about LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
If all else fails, Free WiFi is available, (as luck would have it ), at Lancaster Brewing Company in downtown Lancaster. (Don't ask me how I know this or I'll have to deny it)

Enjoy.....Wish we could be there.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There is a Florida Boomer coming with a DataStorm dish and a router and we may be able to get Wi-Fi signal off of his router. Their name is "Schnoodlemom". Mary & Larry.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
The wireless gear has been received by MBV and the modem should be installed. I'll get it all up and running on Thursday!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
If I bring the new laptop with the wifi, I hope someone can show me what to do with it!
Old 06-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Doris

I recently purchased WIFI for my lab top. It works great. I'm bringing it to the rally. I can now sit in my easychair, watch TV and play on the internet all at the same time. LIfe is good
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doris:
If I bring the new laptop with the WiFi, I hope someone can show me what to do with it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Doris, either MikeT or Rich or I will help you out with your Wi-Fi. Are you running Win XP? If so you probably won't need anyone's help -- it's basically plug&play. Older systems were plug&pray.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
It's a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite M45X-S331 15.4" Notebook PC (Intel Pentium M Processor 730 (Centrino), 512 MB RAM (will be upgrading to 1 gig, since the ram is only taking up one slot), 80 GB Hard Drive, DVD SuperMulti Drive), since the old one didn't have XP and seemed to hate the wifi card. It's just coming out of the box today, and I've never used Wifi(well, I've used other peoples), so I'm hoping someone will show me how to start it (the wifi) and how to configure the firewall, etc, so I don't end up sharing all my info). I haven't put on my Norton yet, but it came with a 90 day trial. It's so hot here today, once i finish planting flowers, I'll prob be in to play with it.
This is my first non Dell..but Gil has an old Toshiba that is still working. I'm not sure if I like these new screens yet, or not. Almost too bright for these old eyes..haven't done any sdjusting yet, so hopefully I can "tone" it down some.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Doris,

Windows XP is so EASY when it comes to WiFi. It just works! As long as your XP has SP2 included (it probably does) then the firewall is enabled automatically and stays on until you turn it off. Windows Updates are also enabled by default.

The campground wireless will be broadcasting the SSID (probably MillBridge) and will have a WEP key enabled (which we will distribute free for all rally attendees). After the rally Brian may charge for WiFi use and anyone wanting to use it will have to pay at the office to get the WEP key. Hotels are charging $9.95 per day. I have suggested that he charge less than that, somewhere between $2.00 and $5.00 per day, or weekend, or length of stay.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #14

We've found wi-fi rates ranging from free to $1.25 per hour at the campgrounds we've stayed in since leaving Lakeland. If MillBridge is in a competitive area, he may just want to leave it free because that seems to be a definite draw. We even look for free wi-fi, as it is generally faster than the Datastorm.

Daisy, the Bichon/poodle 2006 Allegro Bus 40QDP/2003 Jeep Liberty
Lady Nyrtle is offline   Reply With Quote