Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Another BIG draw is the Winnebago Grand National Rally which is up in Iowa. Incredible as it may seem there may be some 90+ iRV2 attendees at the WIT GNR this July however I can't confirm those numbers.

I have never been to a GNR however this is Winnebago's 50Th Anniversary and I'm thinking that this GNR is going to be a special event. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am with DriVer on this one. Bev & I have never attended a Winnebago GNR either and it is only 9 hours one way for us. Fuel prices are a factor for us but the 50th Anniversary is the other.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #16

Commercial Member
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
We had planned to go to Tennessee to help our daughter move, then on to Minnesota for a family reunion and then to Texas for National. But, do to the fuel crunch we may just do National and maybe drive the car to Tennessee.

I even thought about stopping at Kelderman in Oskaloosa, IA to look at having air ride install on the coach.

Dale/aka-Oemy Oemy's UltraPower Performance
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #17
Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Well I just figured I would throw my 2 cents worth in! I agree that fuel cost and summer heat may be part of the reason, but for me it's the time of the year! See I live on a lake in Northern New Jersey, and allthough you can boat on it from Mid April to early November, swimming is July & August! So I do everything I can not to travel in those months! I remember when I was at the first National in Myrtle Beach in Sept. The rates were cheaper, the crowds were less and the weather was Great! I would love to go to Branson, Texas and other places but not in July & August. I also remember at the meeting at that first rally someone asked about moveing the rally to summer months and they were told NO for the reasons I stated above 1. Cheaper Rates, 2. Less Crowded, and 3. Better Weather!! Again just my 2 cents worth, and hope all who go to the Rally have a nice time!
AL, & Mickey "The Boston"! Silver Springs, FL Camping since 1967 and RVing since 1990! A 2011 Keystone Hornet 30RKDS & 2015 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Delux WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLE
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Al, the 2009 Rally will be the first Rally to be moved back into the month of June, where we hope to avoid some of the weather issues. We also hope to move away from being in the same timeframe as either the FMCA event or the Good Sam event or both. This year I believe even the Winnebago GNR event will affect us as we have a pretty strong contingent of iRV2 members who own Winnebago products.
We've even provided that group with an iRV2 banner and some handout materials, so they'll be with us in spirit.

We will continue to have the events in the summer, as we're a family website and as such it is our desire to include everyone in our planning.

I look forward to seeing you at the '09 National.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I just figuired that I'm looking at about 425 gal. of diesel fuel to go round trip to the national.
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're booked for the Escapee's Rally in Wyoming and the FCOC Rally in Illinois in July.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We don't care to camp in the hot summer months,one of the perks of being retired,we go in spring,fall and winter.The only reason we are in Tx. now is we had to go to Ms.to see my sister who I haven't seen in over two years and has recently been diagoned with dementia.So we figured as long as we were out anyway we'd ramble west a bit.For the rest of the year we'll stay closer to home. When you hear you need a second air conditioner to camp in Tx.in the summer that makes you not want to go.Hope to see everyone at the national in 2009.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #22
Texas Boomers Club
Ok...couple more Texans pre-registered yesterday.. Lee and I signed up...
Hamid & Janet Wright

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We would be there if it wasn't for a commitment with our oldest grandson. Would love to meet y'all.
Happy Trails, Gary
2006 Excursion 39S, Freightliner, Cat 350
2010 Honda Fit and Buster, the wonder dog
Old 04-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also remember at the meeting at that first rally someone asked about moving the rally to summer months and they were told NO for the reasons I stated above 1. Cheaper Rates, 2. Less Crowded, and 3. Better Weather!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it was my Mom and Dad who asked the question. Cathy, our kids and I were not able to go because the kids were in school.

They also came home and told me I might as well forget about "That group" if I expected to participate as a family.

Needless to say I was ticked a site that listed itself a "Family camping site" to EXCLUDE folks with families from the National Rally. Not very family oriented if it is only the retired folks or folks without kids that can attend if that is the case now is it???

Several other folks felt the same way evidently. Because the 2002 Rally was in a time frame families with kids in school could attend. There were friendships formed at that rally that continue to this day. I still chat on the telephone or when we are able to meet with folks that attended that rally to this day.

Unfortunately a short time later I got the news from Rick Koelsh's phone call of Bill "Crossroads" Swanson's passing. We met for the first time at the 2002 rally. His and Patti's boys were the same age as our oldest two girls. We hit it off right off the bat. Bill would help anywhere needed at the rally. Here was two families from completely different areas of the country (Long Island, NY and Greenwell Springs, LA) and cultures. But our values and wants for our kids were the same.

We were looking forward to getting together at upcoming Nationals in the future when we left Branson. That will never be now.......

So you see anytime the discussion to MOVE the National Rally to a time that families with kids in school cannot attend it brings my memories of Bill and Patti to the forefront.

As such I will fight tooth and nail if needed to keep the National when families are able to atend.
Don Fauntleroy (W5IT) 99 F-350 Cab and Chassis with a Herrin Hauler bed now towing a 2006 3612 DS Raptor Toyhauler. 2002 and 2006 National Rally Wagonmaster.
"Words of Wisdom"
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #25
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
Needless to say I was ticked a site that listed itself a "Family camping site" to EXCLUDE folks with families from the National Rally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don, The definition of family is all dependent on the person that is reading the word or invoking the term. It certainly would not be my intention to lessen the the importance of a family with children however let us not distort or dismiss out of hand the significance of those families that do not have children. Do we not allow those folks that can not have children from membership or not invite them to our events?

Let us be thoughtful when we speak of those persons who consider themselves family without attaching conditions which they perhaps can not meet. I certainly have not seen where a family with children is "deliberately" excluded from any iRV2 event.

It maybe convenient for families with children to attend events during selected times during the year however it is equally incumbent upon us to consider the needs of those families that benefit from attending during other selected times.

This is not an easy topic to discuss and I am not trying to change your ideas of what constitutes a family however let's be fair and inclusive and responsive to the needs of all families.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #26
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Camilla and I love going to the national rallies, but it will cost us over $1200 in diesel fuel and 3 days out and 3 days back of hard driving. We are still working so we have to keep our driving time to no more than 2 days out and 2 days back. Branson was a little far for us, but we had not been there and really wanted to go. It cost a little over $500 for the fuel for that trip.
We would love to be there with you, but it is just a little too far and too many $$ for us to make it this year.

Bill & Camillla
Thor Four Winds 31L Class C and Jeep Liberty
Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I certainly have not seen where a family with children is "deliberately" excluded from any iRV2 event. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While it may not have been done in the past "deliberately", when you schedule a rally in months where a large percentage of minor children are attending school, it prevents those "family units" from attending our events.
We work VERY HARD to have events for "families" of all ages at our events...
In Branson there was more than enough for attendees of ALL ages.

As the co-owners of this site both have school aged children, I can all but assure you the NATIONAL RALLY will be held in months where children can attend. Bill has taken over the planning of the 2009 Rally and I can assure you it will be in JUNE 2009.
The location has changed from Indiana, but I can also attest that the new location will be one where everyone will have some chance to have some fun, whether you're 8 or 80.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by allendp:
It is really disappointing to me as a Texan that at his late date only 32 rigs have signed up to visit our great state for the IRV2 National Rally in July. Of that number only 10 rigs are from states other than Texas. Perhaps it the fuel prices or the summer heat in Texas that are keeping folks away, but it was hot in Sevierville and humid in Branson and the fuel prices were high then and we had over 65 rigs at each of those events.

Folks I am telling you Mitchell RV Park is much better than either of the parks in Sevierville or Branson with a wonderful air-conditioned rally hall for our use all week, beautiful shade trees to park under, a nice lake with breezes blowing on the park all the time, and 3 swimming pools.

I also know that Madame Boomer has worked very hard to plan a fantastic rally for everyone and it is going to be very disappointing
if we have less rigs attend the IRV2 National Rally than we have attend a normal Texas Boomer's Rally. I do hope this is not the new
trend for the best RVing site on the internet.

In light of the fact that the original poster's intent of voicing his displeasure has been well documented and discussed, I am going to close this topic. There has been some good discussion and it is my hope that the topic may have gotten the attention of those whom where on the fence as far as coming to the '08 National.

Thank you all for your support of iRV2.

Closed Thread