Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #1

I thought that rally attendees might like to read comments and tidbits about Dollywood from an "insider."

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are among the original Florida Boomers. In April we sold our Gainesville, FL home and began our great nomadic adventure as Fulltimers.

This summer we are parked at King's Holly Haven CG in Pigeon Forge, TN - just a couple miles from Dollywood. We are among the 300+ Dollywood Workcampers. We work in the Emporium: the gift shop one must pass through to exit the park.

I don't think it is possible to see everything - amusements, shows, shops and eating places in one day. So, between now and a few days before the rally starts I'm going to relate some of our experiences at Dollywood.

If you have questions I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I'll find out.

-------

Dreamland Drive-in - Pines Theatre - a very entertaining musical review of rock and roll from 1956 through today. A must see!

Reds Diner - across from the Pines Theatre - 1950s style burger joint. Good burgers, fries and shakes.

More Later . . .

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #2

I thought that rally attendees might like to read comments and tidbits about Dollywood from an "insider."

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are among the original Florida Boomers. In April we sold our Gainesville, FL home and began our great nomadic adventure as Fulltimers.

This summer we are parked at King's Holly Haven CG in Pigeon Forge, TN - just a couple miles from Dollywood. We are among the 300+ Dollywood Workcampers. We work in the Emporium: the gift shop one must pass through to exit the park.

I don't think it is possible to see everything - amusements, shows, shops and eating places in one day. So, between now and a few days before the rally starts I'm going to relate some of our experiences at Dollywood.

If you have questions I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I'll find out.

-------

Dreamland Drive-in - Pines Theatre - a very entertaining musical review of rock and roll from 1956 through today. A must see!

Reds Diner - across from the Pines Theatre - 1950s style burger joint. Good burgers, fries and shakes.

More Later . . .

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Lew,
We will be awaiting your tid bits of Dolly-wood, getting a little insight on the must See's and just OK's will make for a more productive day. If we can do all the must sees then the OKs will just be an added benefit. Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #4

Thanks Jim & Cheri.

Dollywood is situated in Pigeon Forge and the Smoky mountains. You may not have thought about this but the theme park is actually built on the side of a mountain!

Don't expect level ground like Disney. You will be walking either uphill or downhill most of the time.

So, if you have mobility issues please be aware of this. Dollywood does offer for rent battery operated carts to guests who require assistance. The park also offers strollers for the little ones.

Sima and I have been traversing the park for more than two weeks now. Great excercise for us. The first couple of days I was huffing and puffing as I walked up to the Host (employee) lounge. Now, I barely notice a change in my breathing. I may actually lose a few pounds! That is if I can ignore The Sausage Works

If there was only one food item left on this planet and it was sausage, I'd stay fat and happy!

The Sausage Works offers Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage and smoked sausage on a bun with slow cooked onions and green peppers. You can also get a plate of made on sight potato chips and soft drinks. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Got to go to work. More later!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #5

I'm glad you're enjoying our area of the country and Dollywood. My DW used to work at the Ham'n'Beans. I believe it's still in operation. My SIL is in the accounting office there and her son's (when not in college) work for Dollywood as well. Me, I've never worked for Dolly but have met her years ago prior to her fame. Went to school with her siblings. She was fours years ahead of me in school.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying your work experience.

Are you going to the iRV2 rally at River Plantation CG in Sevierville in July? I think they've got a spot for me but won't know for a while. Maybe you can stop by and say hello.

Take care,
Dana

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #6

Dana,

My wife and I both work 4 days a week at the Emporium in Dollywood. We're parked for the summer at Holly Haven on 321 in Pigeon Forge.

We won't be able to participate in the rally. But, I hope to meet members on my days off.

I'll be off on Tuesday, Dollywood Day. After dropping my wife at the Knoxville airport I'll head to the park. But, How will I identify iRV2 members?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lew, one of my favorites the last time I was there (Christmas a couple years ago) was "The Kingdom Heirs". They impressed me so much I wound up sitting through three or four shows while Cathy and the kids were going here there and yonder and I felt like "Parking" in one spot for a while.

I am looking forward to sitting through another one their shows this time too.

BTW, what are yall doing Sunday evening??? (7-16) It would be nice to have yall come join us for the "Welcome Supper". (And any other stuff yall can do as well! )

Catch Ya Later,

Don
Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #8

Don,

The Kindom Heirs perform at the Showstreet Palace Theatre, directly across from the entrance turnstyles.

Their harmonies are extraordinary. I only wish they would do a set of Oak Ridge Boys songs!

We work on Sundays until about 9:30 PM. So, dinner is out. Thanks fopr the invite though.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Lew I will be sure to wear my IRV2 t shirt for you its the same kind Michelle models on the store. Besides Everyone should be wearing their name tags.

See you soon.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lew:

We are looking forward to this ralley. We did a lot of traveling last year--11,000 on the RV and 12,000 in Road trips on the Toad.
This year, we are catching up on r-l-a-x-i-n-g.
Hope to see you in TN.
Bob
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #11

Lew
Thanks for all the info.It will be our first time in the area and are looking forward to Dollywood.Your insightful tips (food) makes want to go down earlier.Great job.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:08 AM   #12

Jim, I'll be looking for those iRV2 T-shirts!

Bob, I hope your experience here in the Smokies is just as relaxing!

Frankie, Be prepared for a gazillian shops, amusements and eateries on the stretch of US 441 that meanders through Pigeon Forge and Gattlinburg. If you come in from I-40 (Exit 407) on to Rt 66, you'll pass lot's of the same.

By the way, our first coach was a '97 Four Winds Infinity. We enjoyed it when the brake calipers didn't lock up!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:13 AM   #13

Just an aside . . .

If you pilot a diesel rig, are headed west on I-40 and want to top off before you hit Exit 407, there is a Pilot truck stop at Exit 417.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #14

I enjoy watching and learning about the natural world that we all share. Your Cades Cove trip should provide plenty for you to enjoy.

We haven't made that trip yet. But, I am told that you will see the most activity (feeding) if you go early morning or late afternoon.

If you too are a nature lover you must visit the Eagle Mountain Sanctuary in Craftsman's Valley. Yes, it is in Dollywood!

Dollywood rescues Bald Eagles that have been shot (yes, there are idiots with guns out there) and otherwise injured. The Sanctuary is a large screened enclosure built against the steep mountain side. There you can watch eagles at their and your liesure.

Next to the Sanctuary is the Wings of America Theatre Where you can learn about and watch a number of majestic birds of prey.

Since it's inception in 1991, the sanctuary has cared for and released some 300 bald eagles back into the wild!