Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #43
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Snagless Door Stricker bolt

Max

Thanks for doing this. The bolt in our motorhome is 15/16". We are on site HH27. See you in Sept!!
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update-

Hi Everyone--

I have everyone covered above this thread- See ya'll in September.

I'll be in H-27 for the rally. I plan on having a golf cart and we'll be there a day early-- but in H-37 on Saturday.

Cheers,
Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
History of "Door Bolts" requirements-

I am asked occassionally "why are these door bolts used?"

I've compiled, and consolidated, applicable parts for the requirements for the manufactures of our RV's below.

After reading these requirements, look at your "toads" side doors locking mechanisms.

Most of these standards were set long before mandatory seat belt useage was required. Vehicle "ejection" injuries and deaths, were the immediate cause of these requirements.

Climbing into an RV, up a stairway, is far different from the geometry of crawling into the passenger seats of an automobile.

Towed vehicles are exempt from these requirements, I guess, because your not allowed to be in them going down the highway anyway.

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

49 CFR Part 571

[Docket No. NHTSA-2004-19840]

RIN 2127-AH34

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Door Locks and Door Retention Components and Side Impact Protection

FMVSS No. 206 applies to all passenger cars, trucks and multipurpose passenger vehicles, regardless of their GVWR, and provides that certain door retention components on any door leading directly into an occupant compartment, i.e. , a compartment containing seating accommodations for one or more occupants, must comply with the requirements of the standard.

Primary Door Latch is a latch equipped with both a fully latched position and a secondary latched position.

Striker is a device with which the latch engages to maintain the door in the fully latched or secondary latched position.

Fully Latched Position is the coupling condition of the latch that retains the door in a completely closed position.

Hinged side door requirements. The standard requires that each latch on hinged side doors have both a fully latched and a secondary latched position. [6]� In this notice, a latch with both a fully latched and a secondary latched position will be referred to as a "primary door latch."� As currently required, a primary door latch and striker cannot separate when a longitudinal force of 11,000 N (2,500 lb) or a lateral force of 8,900 N (2,000 lb) is applied while the components are fully engaged. [7]�Also, a primary door latch with a striker will be referred to as a primary door latch system. During testing, the longitudinal force is applied to the primary door latch system perpendicular to the latch face. For conventional door latch systems, [8] this force is applied parallel to the vehicle's longitudinal axis. The longitudinal test is designed to simulate door openings in which the striker is pulled away from the latch faceplate. The lateral force is applied in the direction in which the door opens. The lateral procedure is intended to simulate door openings in which the striker is pulled away from the latch in that direction. The standard also requires that the coupled latch and striker may not separate when a longitudinal or a lateral force of 4,450 N (1,000 lb) is applied to the primary door latch system while in its secondary closure position.

Further, a hinged side door latch must not disengage from the fully latched position when an inertial force of 30 g is applied to the latch system in either the vehicle�s longitudinal or the lateral axes. [9]�Latch systems are subjected to inertial loading when the vehicle comes to an abrupt stop. This type of loading has the potential to release the latch even though the door latch may be undamaged. FMVSS No. 206 provides that demonstration of compliance with this requirement is to be accomplished either by following an agency-approved test procedure or by completing a mathematical formula specified in SAE J839. While NHTSA approved an inertial loading test procedure submitted by General Motors (GM) in 1967, it has never adopted such a procedure into the standard and no other test procedures were approved.

The standard also requires each hinge system[10] to support the door, and not separate when separate longitudinal (11,000 N (2,500 lb)) and lateral (8,900 N (2,000 lb)) forces are applied to the system.

S4.1.1.4� Inertial Load. Each primary door latch system and auxiliary door latch system shall meet either the dynamic requirements specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section or the calculation of inertial load resistance specified in paragraph (c) of this section.

(a) Each primary door latch and auxiliary door latch on each hinged door shall not disengage from the fully latched position when an inertia load of 30 g is applied to the door latch system, including the latch and its activation device, in the directions parallel to the vehicle's longitudinal and transverse axes with the locking device disengaged and demonstrated in accordance with S5.1.1.4.

So there you are---

Max H
Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's not too late 15/16" would be great. H07 and Thank You in advance.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Snagless door bolt-

Hi John-

Got ya covered--

I imagine I'll be making them up until I leave home on Saturday, the 13th-

I'll be in MB a day early. We're anxious to get on the road after a long, hot summer here in NC. We've had at least 25 days, so far, where the "effective" temperature was over 100 degrees, mainly because of the stinkin humidity. We couldn't do a lot of things we planned on doing--

We were in Maine for the last 9 summers, and truly missed it this year.

See ya in MB---

Max H
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you I'm supposed to be in a day early as well. Going to stop at Shaw in Charleston for about a week on the way down.

It rained all the way from Marquette to here in Wright Patterson finally stopped about 10AM this morning.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi John-

Shaw AFB is in Sumter SC, not Charleston SC. Nice campground. They also have a second RV park on a lake about 20 miles from Sumter.
Charleston AFB also has two RV Parks. We're stopping there after the MB rally.

We'll see ya soon, have a great trip.

Max
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #50
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got me, I'm going to Charleston but while looking it up I came across Shaw at some point and seeing that they are the 20th and my first base was the 20TFW I thought I would stop there as well.

Sometimes it does not take much to confuse me. I could see making this trip memorable by making reservations at one place and showing up at another
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
You got me, I'm going to Charleston but while looking it up I came across Shaw at some point and seeing that they are the 20th and my first base was the 20TFW I thought I would stop there as well.

Sometimes it does not take much to confuse me. I could see making this trip memorable by making reservations at one place and showing up at another
We have 1 more attendee that was stationed in the area while in the USAF ... lookup "Rottweiler" when you get here!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #52
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
If you are following this Rally event and unable to attend, and you have a friend coming to Myrtle Beach, I'll still make one for you that they can bring back home to you- .
Hi Max -

Lloydu mentioned your very generous offer today. Both he and I are in the Newmar factory service campground right now.

If it's not too late, may I please have one 7/8" long? I won't be in Myrtle Beach, but if you could leave it with Lloydu (site I-20; see post 31 above), he would give it to me the following week.

Thank you!

David
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Snagless" bolt

Hi David-

I got one for you (7/8")- it's "in the bag" to be delivered to Lloyd in I-20.

Your welcome-

Cheers,
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, torn some good clothes on the last two DSDP's due to that darn bolt head!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Hi David-

I got one for you (7/8")- it's "in the bag" to be delivered to Lloyd in I-20.

Your welcome-

Cheers,
Max: Will send info tomorrow after I get off work tonight, another one to go to Lloyd!

Deen
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote