Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FREE to all Rally participants ,M.B., Sep 2014- "Snagless" Door Striker Bolts

Hi all you Folks-

If your tired of getting your clothes ripped, or worse even getting an injury, let me make you one of my "Snagless" Door Striker Bolts. I'm planning to be at the Myrtle Beach, SC rally in September and I will provide one for your rig, free of charge- if you wish.

Here is a picture of my new "Snagless" bolt and the original bolt, side by side.

I will need two questions answered from you here on this thread, so that I can start making them now for the September Rally.

Here is a sketch of what I need from you-

#1- The length of your existing bolt- To the nearest 1/16" of an inch

#2- Your site number.

If you would also like me to install it for you, please indicate that in your answer too. It takes about two minutes for me to install one.

I'm not sure of what our "extra event" (the Bride- Cindy and I) schedule will be like, but I am sure I will be able to get to everyone during the week of the rally. I plan on having a golf cart to get around.

I will be at Site H-27, so I've been told. If that doesn't happen, just ask Mike P, aka "Driver", where I am.

Here is the history of how this all came about--

After tearing a shirt and a jacket some years ago, I woke up in bed at about 2 am, with this new design in my head. I said to myself, before I forget it, I better get out to my little shop and make one. And so I did.

I started a thread here on irv2 and "Oemy", aka Dale Olsen, jumped right in on this. He said he was mad at me "because he hadn't thought of it". Oh well- ha,ha.
Here is a link to Oemy's site and our combined efforts to get these out to our RV'n buddies.

Now, why free you ask? Read on--

I had contacted a patent attorney in the Washington DC area years ago, a nice fellow I guess, an he told me to send him some sketches and $10,000 to start the patent process. He said "no guarantee of success and that he might need more money later". Now that didn't make much sense to me, since I was already making them and installing them free! I would also have to start a business, pay taxes, insurance, etc, etc .

I grew up in a small machine shop in Long Island, NY, before I went into a career in aviation in the USAF, and Corporate flying later.

I have acquired the equipment over the years to do this kind of work.

As an added benefit, my "Snagless" bolts have solved some annoying door rattles in both gas and diesel motor homes. In fact, the last two I did recently, have resulted in long time rattles to be gone- . I can explain why this happens if you ask me at the rally.

I also remember an occasion in Maine, about two years ago, where an elderly couple (in their 80's) had just downsized from a 40' DP to a new "Born Free" Class "C" motor home with one of the "original" hex head door striker bolts on it. As I handed her some Lobsters in a sack they had ordered for dinner, up her stairs, I asked if that miserable bolt had ever snagged you folks? He came over to the steps and immediately said "it cut her arm recently and we're both on "Coumadin"- . After I installed one of my bolts she said "It doesn't even have any sharp edges on it"- Ha,ha.

So I guess I do it for free, because "I CAN"- simple as that-

Just remember- you don't have to take one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Max;

You installed one for me at a previous rally a few years ago. I really appreciated it. I plan to be at the MB Rally and I will bring along a # of Wisconsin medium cheddar cheese for you. My bolt is 15/16 and my site is H 64. I will be looking forward to seeing you again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you, Max. This is so nice of you to offer. Members helping members, that's what iRV2 is all about.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Thank you, Max. This is so nice of you to offer. Members helping members, that's what iRV2 is all about. Lori-
I'll second that. Thanks Max. The one I got from you a few years ago saved plenty of torn shirts / skin.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Snagless Door Striker Bolt

Hello Max,

I would very much like one of your Striker Bolts. I think this is very nice of you.
My Striker Bolt is 15/16" and we will be in site HH16. If you have time to install it, that would be good but I can install myself. Thank you and see you at the Rally.
budtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Max........X2 on the very nice gesture you've made. Although after Debbie and I had the pleasure of meeting you and your DW in February I'm not surprised by your offer.
I thank you for installing one on my MH and can attest to no more ripped clothing and my annoying door rattle is gone for good.
Look forward to seeing you guys in MB.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

Thank you for providing these to irv2 rally participants. I pass on your generous offer since I will not be attending the rally.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What a nice offer. Mine is 1". We will be on site HH-47.

Thanks, again.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Hi all you Folks - So I guess I do it for free, because "I CAN"- simple as that - Just remember- you don't have to take one.
Max, I have a 1" length MaxH Striker Bolt. Unless it comes in a different color, I think we're good!

See you in September ....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #10

Hi Max,
The length of my striker bolt is exactly 7/8ths of an inch from the washer to the head. I will be staying in site I-45. I hope you like 3 buck chuck or Bud light. If not, Please let me know what my on board liquor cabinet should be stocked with.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Hi Max, The length of my striker bolt is exactly 7/8ths of an inch from the washer to the head. I will be staying in site I-45. I hope you like 3 buck chuck or Bud light. If not, Please let me know what my on board liquor cabinet should be stocked with.
With offers like that , Max will have an Army of volunteers helping him do installs.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:19 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay Guys & Gals-

I've got you all covered- as ordered before my posting this thread-

Everyone except Mike P-
He knows I appealed to our RV'n friends years ago to have some one in the plating business, that belongs to irv2, plate these for us. I never got any answers back. The cost to plate 50, or so, of these small bolt items would be negligible- oh, well.

As an aside, I was watching Nascar last weekend and Michael Waltrip was doing his "walkabout" with a camera and a mic following him during the rain delayed Sunday race, and he was in the owners/drivers infield area interviewing Drivers, owners, etc, He came a knocking at a Drivers million dollar 45' rig and as the race car driver opened the door, munching on a Buritto- or some such food, I saw that same, familiar, miserable bolt mounted on his door jam, sticking way out there-

Drum up some more business for me-

Cheers, and see ya soon---
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Very generous. We won,t be there,so will have to pass this time.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Snagless Door Stricker bolt

Max

Great offer on your behalf !!! My bolt is 15/16" an we are on site HH46. See you there!!

Andy
ahclay is offline   Reply With Quote