Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We left Lebanon TN at 8 AM eastern and arived home at 11 PM on Sunday. It was a long hard 2 days, but all the fun we had was well worth the drive. We did not have any problems at all.
The only traffic problem was an accident on I-40 in Knoxville TN. A 18 wheeler went over an embankment and took down a road sign that hung over the road. It took about 20 min. to get through that.
Good night from Bill and Camilla 2 very tired travelers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #30

We got as far as Tupelo today doing the Elvis thing at Memphis and here, but may have a problem going further. About 25 miles from here Judy heard a boom and thought we had blown a tire. When we stopped to check it out, the rear was sitting too low. I couldn't see any obvious damage and no blown tires, but the rest of the ride here was rough. I mentioned it to the manager here at Barnes Crossing and he said his brother has an RV place near here and can take a look. I think the rear air suspension is blown.

Is it safe or reasonable to continue like that to get home? Is it something that can be repaired quickly, and cheaply? After two week in a motel in April we're in no mood to repeat that situation.

My mother is doing better with nothing definitive found. They are discussing sending her home tomorrow. We'll know more tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #31

David and Ute and Ann and I left ABC Saturday morning for Memphis to see Elvis. Got here early afternoon without fanfare. Visited with Elvis today and ventured down to Tunica where David and Ute nearly broke the casions! So. . . they are proceeding to Nashville tomorrow and back toward Stillwater and the grandson for us. Enjoyed the rally and meeting everyone. Safe travels to all. Gene and Ann. PS, we are at the Tom Sawyer RV park ON the banks of the Mississippi in west Memphis, it is below the first levy and a great place to camp and watch the barges go by just a few fee from the trailer. Long, shady pull throuhs, really a nice place if you are in this area or just want to drop in on Elvis.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it safe or reasonable to continue like that to get home? Is it something that can be repaired quickly, and cheaply? After two week in a motel in April we're in no mood to repeat that situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken and Judy, if it is the rear air bags it is not advisable to drive the rig far until it is repaired. When the rear suspension drops it puts one HECK of a bind on the u-joints in the drive line due to the drive line angle change. It also shortens the length of the movement range in the slip yoke of the driveshaft. If driven very far it will damage them or cause them to fail. If when the u-joints fail they can damage the yokes they fit into it is one costly repair. I know this all too well as a customer drove one of our coaches in such a condition. It was one costly repair....

On the good side, the air bags most coaches that have air ride use are the same one used on over the road trucks. So they are not usually hard to fined.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I would not want yall to risk compounding the problem by driving it very far. Yall have way TOO much precious cargo to wind up stuck on side of the road.

Catch Ya Later,

Don
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #33

We made it home around 1:00 PM today. The Canfield's were still at ABC when we left.

Upon arriving home we were greeted by a COPPERHEAD in the flowerbed.

Thanks to all who came and those who put a great deal of work into making this this years rally a great event.

Jack & Karen
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #34
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MO _ Jack:
We made it home around 1:00 PM today. The Canfield's were still at ABC when we left.

Upon arriving home we were greeted by a COPPERHEAD in the flowerbed.

Thanks to all who came and those who put a great deal of work into making this this years rally a great event.

Jack & Karen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
M0_Jack
Glad to see you had a safe trip home even though there was a critter waiting in the flower bed. We stopped Sat. night at our place on Pomme de Terre and left for KC on Sunday AM. If you do get up to Pomme, have your friend take you to breakfast at the Coffee Cup restaurant just south of Urbana, Mo or the restaurant at Carsons Corner. Good ole rib sticking food.
We're looking at trying this CG not to far from Ft Leonardwood and was wondering if you had ever stayed there?
http://www.arlingtonriverresort.com/
Old 07-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #35

JC2
I will try and check out the Coffee Club when we go there.

I have been at arlington several years ago, not bad big sites on the river. On a sccle of 1-10 I would say a 7

Let me know when you come down

Jack
Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We arrived home yesterday after about 425 miles but no sooner did we arrive, I had to pull out my edger and clean up the grass growing over the RV pad - "Before I even parked the RV". So it started all over again.

I also had to backflush, shock and treat the pool.....

All went well and we're home S&S.! Colleen commented on how much she enjoyed getting back into her bed here at home.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #37

Hi everyone. We left ABC CG about 10:30 Sat. Drove through St. Louis (*&^%$) I44>I70, to our daughters house 35 miles East of the big muddy. Spent Sunday being overwhelmed by 4 granddaughters . Left for home Monday about 8AM. Traffic was light to moderate the entire way-- except for I70 at MM 87 in IL. A tractor-trailer ran into the median, struck a bridge abutment and burned the cab to the frame. No word of the driver's fate.
On a lighter note. about 145 people were trapped at the top of the Gateway Arch at 9:30 PM Saturday evening; the power was disrupted when a cable that moved the elevator cars broke and shorted an electrified rail.
Bob- your wife barefoot and pregnant was just for the contest, right?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #38

The Hammetts made it home around 8 p.m. Monday. We had stopped at two RV places in Tupelo about the busted air bags. One place couldn't help, but referred us to another, who also couldn't help directly. The service manager said the bags were part of the tag axle suspension system and he wouldn't have had the parts, or know where to get them. He recommended a place 50 miles or so down the road. I asked about Don's suggestion that it not be driven very far. He said it would be a rough ride, and I should take it carefully, but with a front engine and long driveshaft it shluldn't hurt to go on. After we called Columbus MS we decided to come on back to Stone Mountain. Turns out Columbus couldn't help us either. They were booked for a couple weeks and also didn't have the parts. We figured we would be just further from home if we went that way, so we headed home. Most of US 78 is constructed to Interstate standards to Birmingham, to become I-22 eventually, and was a good road most of the way. Then I-20. which had a few bad spots around B'Ham, was good for the rest of the trip. Shawnee keeps saying," Had Fun." And he thinks we should go to the pavilion every evening to eat beans.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Ken and Judy,

I thought yall rig was a diesel pusher... Ooops! My goof.

The pushers have a very short drive shaft. Thus when the ride height changes it has a profound effect on the drive shaft angle.

Glad yall made it home safely!

Now yall have a lot more time for a shop near you to get the parts before your next trip.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 AM   #40
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob- your wife barefoot and pregnant was just for the contest, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray, if you're referring to the young lady carrying the jug, she's the campground OWNER...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Bob -

I can send a private email, but this might be just as easy!

Can you please tell me the name of the Hillbilly Band on Sunday night and the name of the Family Group (man with 5 daughters) that entertained us on Thursday night.

Anyone else who remembers their names - PLEASE pop in here! I'm working on sorting photos!

Sandy
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #42
Administrator Emeritus

The family singers are the Warnock Family, I'll have to get the name of the Hillbilly group.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote