Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #15
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Great to hear from you , about the area too. Yea, it seems the only ticket I have ever gotten was on my old 750 in NC . Seems the radar was in a used car lot and the men in Blue were a half mile down pulling all the out of state folks over into a pull off. We will be watching the speed signs. I don't have a radar detector...... Anyone got one on their bike ? Just in case.

You coming to the rally ?? It will be fun.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #16

Rode Deals Gap Dragons Tale last May. AWESOME is the word that comes to mind! We were with a couple of others (all on Harleys) & stayed in Cherokee NC. Lots to see & do in the area...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #17

Kablewizard: I regret to say, we sold our last wing (02) when it was only 6 months old; wife had/has some medical problems and she had to stop riding.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #18
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear that Rod. I was hopeing you would join us.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #19

I do understand about the good old AMF days. I remember them well!!

No, I will not be able to attend. Wish I could, it sounds like you will have a good time and I know the ride is fun.

GHBiker

2013 GMC Denali 2500 HD
GHBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
My shovel says AMF on the tank, 1977 FXE. runs like a champ. For those who don't know, if it wasn't for AMF there wouldn't be any Harley today ! I've changed my mind now, I'm going to bring my chevy V8 powered trike. This way I can take mama and the dog on the dragon run, now that will give folks something to talk about.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #21
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds good,I was hoping to see the classic.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Jestme13:
For those who don't know, if it wasn't for AMF there wouldn't be any Harley today!
No question, AMF pulled Harley's economic fat out of the fire, but most people believe that (like most conglomerates), AMF's heart wasn't really in it - they didn't funnel the R&D, quality improvement, etc. funding into Harley that they really needed. I think we all agree that Harley's corporate culture was completely transformed when AMF spun them off.

Don't let the Harley jokes mislead you - I almost bought a 15th anniversary Fat Boy before I bought the BMW.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #23

I gave this some thought B4 posting, but I need to get this on the record.
You have said that the Harley jokes are just in fun and no harm intended and I have absolutely no reason to doubt you and I appreciate you stating that.

In the circles I ran in in my younger and wilder years it was nothing to jump on your Harley and go cross country, and I have done just that many times. My wife and I have RODE to Sturgis for over 15 years, she on her's and me on mine. After Sturgis we would go into the Rockies or out to CA or over to Utah or across the desert in the middle of the night carrying Xtra gas. 5, 6, 7,000 mile trips were the norm in August.

I only say that to say this. Doing this kind of riding and depending so strongly on your mount, you become very familar and very proud of your motorcycle. I must say that when I read the initial Harley comments I was offended. After all, consider if the comments were about BMWs, or Goldwings. Would you be as quick to dismiss it as lighthearted jesting? As a past president of a 500 member ABATE chapter I learned to tread lightly when discussing someones choice of motorcycle. After all, some of my friends rode those bikes

Anyhow... thank you for your clarification of those comments. I just thought a different perspective may be informative in the future.
And if there was any way possible I would have loved to join you on that ride. It is a beautiful area.

While I am thinking of it here are some links from my research to go do this ride.

Cherohala Skyway

Trail of Tears originated in this area

The Dragon's site

The Lost Sea

Enjoy,

GHBiker

2013 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Old 02-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by GHBiker:I must say that when I read the initial Harley comments I was offended. After all, consider if the comments were about BMWs, or Goldwings. Would you be as quick to dismiss it as lighthearted jesting?
If I offended you, I apologize. Actually, my Harley-riding friends kid me about my Kraut bike all the time. My Ford-driving friends kid me about my clattery Dodge/Cummins as well. Doesn't bother me a lick!

You see, I don't take myself that seriously. Life is too short for that. My motorcycle is a device I use for enjoyment (I've ridden since I was 9 years old), and my truck is a device I use to pull our 5th wheel - neither constitute my identity, so if someone wants to kid me about either, I don't take it as some kind of personal insult. But, that's just me, and I realize that not everyone looks at life the way I do.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #25
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I would also like to offer my apology if we offended anyone. I don't judge anyone by what they ride, only how they ride. If you treat your machine and the roadway with respect you can ride with me any time I even love riding in the back . But if your that guy on the crotchrocket doing 120 in your t shirt shorts and flip flops, I might suggest you change your ways for your own good, but other then that you can go ahead, I will get there soon enough.

Thanks for pointing out how some may have been offended.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Yo GHBIKER,
You sure sound like some peeps I've riden with over the years. Yer Aug trips sound like the same trips me and mama have done over the years, 115 degres in Moab . Bro it goes to the old " if ya gotta explain it, they won't understand it" We did Sturgis this year last trip was 1999, I think I'm done with the rally thing, to me, there are way to many that will never understand, and they ride HD, it's a sad thing Bro. Me and mama can only ride short distances now as chemo had ruined my hips and it makes it impossable. LIVE to RIDE, when ever, or whatever you can. See ya'll in TN

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #27

Rusty and Jim, Thanks for understanding and your comments.

Jestme13, We don't do the trips like we used to the last few years. More just day trips since we got the MH. I can see that you understand your bike is part of your identity and an integral part of who you are. And who you are is a biker and there is no doubt they are the best people out there. With a true biker you will always know where you stand, there is no hypocrisy or falseness in them. I couldn't agree more about Sturgis, it is not the same as it used to be. Since the townspeople took it over from the Jackpine Gypsies and changed it to Sturgis Rally and Races from the Black Hills Motor Classic, it has been a kinder, gentler, more dangerous rally with more posers who don't have a clue. What a shame.

Anyhow, thanks all for listening and understanding.

GHBiker

2013 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Old 04-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #28
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Now I hope everyone who is interested in the Dragon can see these 2 videos, I assure you we will not be going at their speed.
http://media.putfile.com/Riding-the-Dragon-Part-One

http://media.putfile.com/Riding-the-Dragon-Part-Two

This should get your blood flowing to speak.