Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I like the idea of 2 rally at same time on different area's with tele conferece via the web.

Maybe this would deferr some of the cost. Since it seems most of the Nationals are getting the big attendance. Smaller in 2 places might draw more attendees and smaller locations/parks might be able to handle the rallies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What region would you like to see the rally in?

iRV2.com has grown exponentially since its birth in 2000. At 10 years old it is difficult to target our largest demographic since we are so spread out. iRV2’s effort to producing a “National” type event should be alternated by Coast and a secondary "Regional Rally" should also be promoted in the same year. These rallies should be staggered offering the members the opportunity to attend both. The focus here is to make the event achievable to all and to place the event within economical reach considering both time and expense. The “National Rally” title should be alternated and the Regional Rally should be keyed to the iRV2 Region E.g.; “The Southern Hospitality Rally” sponsored by the Southeast Region. (I know one Region that's overdue; The Nor'Easters!)

2) Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event?

For the 2011 National Rally, I would like to promote a location that has a large air conditioned recreation hall and a stage (pa & lighting). The facility has a fully stocked camp store. The facility has a large dining area with a larger than most kitchen which has a walk by serving line. The facility has a large open walk around beverage dispenser. The facility has a smaller secondary building where a dozen vendors could be setup separate from the recreation hall. The facility has a boat ramp and features excursions. Golf carts are available for rent. There is a large porch area with tables just outside and to the rear of the rec hall for smaller activities. The campsites here are typically large and have up to 50A, water, electric and sewer. The facility also has rental cabins for those not wanting to bring their RV and yet participate. The facility is very neat and well kept and should provide a very suitable location for the 100 rigs that I would expect that we could get for the 2011 National. The name of this facility is called, the Bethpage Camp Resort in Urbana, VA. Bethpage is the highest rated campground in Virginia. One of the important things here is the facility has a full time rally coordinator.

Bethpage can provide catering services which I believe is important. For a 100 rig event, that would be nice to have. It goes without saying that our traditional Pot-Luck dinner will be encouraged.

Located north of the east coast center line, the facility should be able to draw many members from the NE, Mid-Atlantic, SE & North Central area plus all others from the surrounding regions are most welcomed who want to participate in Chesapeake Bay area events.

3) How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend?

A two day travel should be the maximum that anyone would want to be on the road with a family. Within 2 days of Urbana, VA lies approximately 40% of the entire population of the United States and a large demographic of iRV2.com members.

4) Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?

Having a National type event would demand that all persons from different walks of life including out of school children have the opportunity to attend this type of event. The only downside is expense for retired folks due to the cost for the facility during peak seasons. Being a family oriented organization, we need to be sensitive to those members that have children and that are able to take a summer time vacation.

The alternate Regional event should be held during off peak times where real savings can be experienced by the attendees. Late spring and early fall are some of the most attractive seasons in which to go camping in many areas of the United States. This event will be extremely popular with our empty nesters and if timed right school aged children could still attend the event if tied into a holiday or recess.

5) Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event?

Making absolutely sure that an iRV2 National Rally event is not booked during the same time as a major event like an FMCA Convention, GNR or “The Rally” is “key” to successful planning and fair expectation that a good number of attendees would be able to attend without reservation. Tying our National if possible on the heels of or leading into a major event is an excellent idea. Once RVers are on the road and traveling, an additional opportunity to continue rallying with friends can be a very desirable.

I am working a Rally this October in Cape Hatteras and on the heels of that event the 10th Anniversary Rally Reunion in Myrtle Beach was planned. I expect that a number of iRV2 members attending the Hatteras rally will also want to travel to Myrtle Beach. That’s a win-win situation for those folks that have the time to attend both rallies.

6) Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National?

The decision is going to be entirely dependent on “IF” you can get someone that will Host an event. In 2012 I would strongly support an initiative that would focus on putting together Disneyworld Rally in Orlando (Common' Cooters!) or perhaps the lower seacoast in the Savanna, GA region like Tybee or Hilton Head. The Charleston, SC area would also be a big hit in my opinion. This written there would be nothing that would keep an interested party from promoting this area rather than Urbana but finding a facility that can support a large rally event is essential. There are also other rally oriented facilities that can be considered like Deer Creek RV Resort in Galax, VA in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The Perry Fairgrounds in Perry, GA would be an excellent location however the numbers there would have to hit 100 or more to break even on cost. All the sites there have water, sewer and electric. At a Perry National Rally, I would expect that we could invite over a dozen vendors that would help offset cost. iRV2.com can think BIG! Why not?

Cutting your teeth on your first rally and working through a rally event as a Wagonmaster or committee member can be a lot of fun. It is very rewarding to have worked a rally and achieve a degree of success because it makes the “next” one so much easier to carry out. Each one is a learning process and it only takes the 1st step to make a rally a reality. I encourage you to take the 1st step!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a general comment........ I would like to see the rally either held in a 'cool' part of the country or at a cool time of the year! Although I have seen Orlando mentioned a couple of times, I remember it being hot and humid most of the year!!

An RV event seems to be more fun if we can enjoy the outdoors. Running from an air conditioned RV to an air conditioned rally hall is not that enjoyable......... at least to us.

My two cents worth!

Richard

PS: Maybe I'm just fed up with this hot and humid Texas summer!!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
"An RV event seems to be more fun if we can enjoy the outdoors. Running from an air conditioned RV to an air conditioned rally hall is not that enjoyable......... at least to us."

Well said! and we agree 100% We simply refuse to attend something that is so hot it is miserable. Don't mind driving a ways, but will not pay to sweat and suffer in the heat/
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
One on the left coast and one on the right coast!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #20

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When it comes to weather, the only certainty is that Orlando will be hot and humid in August. Beyond that, any place is subject to unpredictable weather extremes that can happen a year from now. Some folks shied away from the 2010 rally in Arizona because of the heat. Well, it's 59 in Williams at this writing (3:30 pm after a rain storm). Highest has been in the 80s while we've been here though Phoenix has been in triple digits.

Granted, perfect weather at a rally is great, but a rally is fun no matter what the weather. A nice campground with rally facilities and a friendly staff is a far more important consideration.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Well, it's 59 in Williams at this writing
And it was 91 here in the NC mountains this afternoon. You just never know...... it's hard to plan for weather.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Andy,
What you are trying to do is a noble goal. I'm not sure the goal can be reached with a single event. All the ideas previously posted are good ones. My advice will be based on a different view of rally attendance. Consider:

Finding hosts that have local area knowledge, skill and are willing to devote the time, effort and (initial expense?) of determining rally timing and content for the subset of iRV2 membership the rally is targeting. Once the content, estimated attendee fees and dates are agreed upon the rally host can proceed with contract signing and iRV2 can begin advertising.

Only trial and error can determine if the above mentioned items will end up with a well attended rally year after year. Usually, a well attended rally will need to be moved slightly within the same region of the country. Hosts with local knowledge and local access are critical to the rally's success. Attempting to pull together a large rally, totally via long distance communications is difficult and may not provide the best value to attendees.

Advance planning is critical, for me. Most of my RVing is planned two years in advance. An iRV2 rally is in competition with other RVing events for the member's $s. One National (International?) rally may very well not bring in the maximum attendance.

Having well attended rallies is a moving target. There are many components that the host must bring together to provide value and give members the incentive to attend.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #23
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
What exactly is well attended? We had 28 rigs here this week in Williams and IMHO it rates right up there with any of the past National rallies that I have attended.

IRV2 owes a debt of gratitude to Kablewizard for putting on such a well organized and fun event, even though the attendance this year may have been a disappointment to some. For those of us that did attend it was a roaring success.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don,
Please do not take offense at my post. None was intended. My comments were directed to the OP, not to any specific rally or host. To comment about a specific rally or host would be foolish. I read the OP to indicate a desire to increase participation.

In case you missed it, the theme of my post was to emphasize the importance of having a rally host local to the rally site. There are many factors that determine if a member will attend or not. The pricing and content package negotiated by the host is part of member's decision making process. I have found negotiating the price and content to be more successful when done face to face. Other hosts may have a different view.

The purpose of my post was to make this known to the OP. As iRV2 moves forward, a host local to the rally site may be a greater benefit than has been thought of in the past.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People seem to want one of two kids of rallies. Some folks want the super big event where there is lots of planned activities, lots ov vendor participation with new RV's on display and seminars, lots of local entertainment. The attendee does not have to do anything other than show up and they are entertained.

The other type rally is a smaller, less glamorous entertainment, more local flavor and activities that need the support of the attendees to help pull it together. I like this type rally so that you have more time to visit the people attending the rally and to get to see some of the local things.

So we first need to determine what kind of rally people want to attend, the super event of just a nice friendly get together.

Ken
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The other type rally is a smaller, less glamorous entertainment, more local flavor and activities that need the support of the attendees to help pull it together. I like this type rally so that you have more time to visit the people attending the rally and to get to see some of the local things.

So we first need to determine what kind of rally people want to attend, the super event of just a nice friendly get together.
Ken, In my model, I have suggested that we attempt to do both in the same year alternating coasts.

The 10th Anniversary Reunion Rally was always intended to be a laid back event with the main focus in bring iRV2 members together in a campfire type setting where folks can just get together and talk and share time with one another. The most ambitious event is an organized dinner and show event in which the members themselves are invited to participate. I am hoping to have a few seminars but only those that I know will benefit the attendees. Dale Sumner's RV Electrical seminar brings a great deal of knowledge to the audience is a short period of time about this essential part of our ownership which folks don't know very much about. Dale has a way of making people feel comfortable with the electricity and I have always enjoyed listening to Dale speak.

A proposal for a larger event with much more infrastructure is achievable if the host is capable of putting the event togethe however it cannot be done at the expense of the attendees. In the case of a more organized event making time for fun activities is required. Insisting on time with no activities so that folks can do what they want is essential. Many people that attend these event want some flash and a opportunity to do everything under one roof. "The Rally" reports show us well over a thousand rigs, hundreds of vendors, and lots of entertainment. Although we certainly cannot start BIG we can dream big.

In time I expect that we can do a good job in presenting larger structured National Rally events each year because we are a mature RV Community. We have a core of good people that support the site and a fair representation and cross section of RV business that would help us achieve a good event by their participation. All one needs to do is put the ducks in a row and if all goes as planned they'll Quack.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #27
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Don,
Please do not take offense at my post. None was intended. My comments were directed to the OP, not to any specific rally or host. To comment about a specific rally or host would be foolish. I read the OP to indicate a desire to increase participation.

In case you missed it, the theme of my post was to emphasize the importance of having a rally host local to the rally site. There are many factors that determine if a member will attend or not. The pricing and content package negotiated by the host is part of member's decision making process. I have found negotiating the price and content to be more successful when done face to face. Other hosts may have a different view.

The purpose of my post was to make this known to the OP. As iRV2 moves forward, a host local to the rally site may be a greater benefit than has been thought of in the past.
No Offense taken at all Gary and certainly no apology required. Your post was well said and got to the point that Ken explained much better than I was trying to do. A good example of the 2 types of rallies Ken was describing would be Branson, MO vs Perrin, TX.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
For those posting for a cool pleasant climate, we certainly had that this year. It was good to get away from Houston for a week. Been a while since I had worn jeans, long sleeves and a jacket.

Closed Thread