Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
National Rally Feedback

We would like to take a different approach to determine the best place and date to have a National Rally. We want to hear from our members where they would like to have the rally (what region) and what time of year is best for you? We have heard that the middle of summer is great for members with kids but some folks don't like long road trips through the heat of the summer when a shoulder season rally would work just as well.

Please post your thoughts on the following so we can have your input to decide the best time and place for a National.

1) What region would you like to see the rally in?
2) Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event?
3) How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend?
4) Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?
5) Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event?
6) Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make a National?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and feedback.

Andy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Andy, for those of us that still work, 2 days or about 900 miles is about the limit. The 1200 miles to the National this year is a bit of a stretch. It is a 2-1/2 to 3 day drive...both ways and takes a lot of my vacation days to do it.

I still fell the middle of the country is the best to get the most draw. I know I won't make one at the Great Lakes and certainly not the Northeast area. If we go too far to the west, it is too far for the eastern folks. To far east and it is too far for the western folks.

As for time, I prefer late spring or early fall over the summer venue. It would be fine to piggy back off of another iRV2 event.

We might do better to have 2 smaller rallies ...one in the east-northeast and then farther south and mid-America and alternate years. Those that can travel can do both.

We went west this year to get some of the folks in the west to attend. There is not such a good turn-out from the west.

If you are retired, the travel time is not such an issue, but for us that are still working, and have a limited amount of vacation time to spend with family and the holidays, the travel time is a really big issue.

As for a location, I just like to be out in the RV and meeting other RVers. I do not need a big entertainment area...but that is just me....Perrin was great.

ken

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Our family is certainly not typical, and we are not likely to make a LONG trip in our aging MH, but we would prefer a mid-summer with temps in the 70's and little or no rain . We wound up at Dollywood and DisneyWorld the past two years, instead of Ohio and Arizona. From the pre-planning list for Ohio it didn't seem there were enough events to stir the interest of any grandkids we might bring. We didn't look into it that far this year because Williams was just too far for us, especially with Judy still recuperating from her surgeries. I don't know how many other families might be affected or encouraged by young people's attractions, and I know the Reunion/Rally can't be organized around one family, but we must consider such things.

All that said, how about Coastal Carolina, Savannah, or lower Louisiana?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What region would you like to see the rally in?
Doesn't really matter as long as there are interesting things to see and do before, during, and after the rally.

Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event?
Northern states or someplace cool in the summer or someplace south in the spring or fall. Two nice southeast locations are River Vista in Dillard, GA and Stone Mountain near Atlanta.

How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend?
Usually doesn't matter as we try to do a lot of sightseeing along the way. This year we left three weeks in advance of the Williams rally. I understand that if limited vacation time is an issue, our approach isn't viable. Frankly, if we were still working, I doubt we could make any rally more than a day or two away.

Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?
Everybody is going to have a different opinion on this one. Spring or fall is tough for anyone with children.

Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event?
If you mean like a local or regional festival, it's a good idea but often planning and reservations have to be made more than a year or two in advance at popular venues like the Calgary Stampede. A rally we attended at Disney World was scheduled almost two years in advance.

Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National?
I don't think you'll ever be able to achieve a true consensus. One important point was made in another thread which is that location and timing is highly dependent on the individual(s) willing to step up and do the planning and work necessary to make it a success. Those volunteers are the ones who really are going to govern the location and timing choice.

An eye also needs to be kept on cost. This year's cost was at the upper limit of what we are willing to spend for a six day rally. I suspect that inclusion of the train ride at Williams, while a great idea, may have priced some folks out of coming. We have been to the Grand Canyon before but didn't take the train ride. Had we already done so, we would have passed on this year's rally.

Lastly, I'm sure you're aware that there is a lot of good discussion on this thread.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Central - or close to it. Which region has the most people to attend a rally?
Dollywood and DisneyWorld were mentioned and either one would be fine with me.
3) How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend?
Two to three days. Williams, AZ is probably considered a 3 day trip from Houston although it will be taking me 5 days to get there. I have made it to Orlando, FL in 3 days and would go there for a National Rally.
4) Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?
It needs to be when the kids are out of school so they can attend too.
5) Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event?
That would be great for people who are retired, but not so for those still working. Having the National Rally at the same time as the Good Sam Rally means some people will have to make a choice. It depends on what they are looking for - specific people, lots of vendors, etc. If they followed each other and you had the time and the money, then you could attend BOTH. Yippee!
6) Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National?
You have to find someone to HOST it before you can make plans. Pick an area, find a host, and let's start planning for 2011!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I still work for a living and while the Williams trip is a stretch it's not undo able. It's a little over 2000 miles for me to drive and I figure that if I leave Thursday at noon then I should be able to make check in Sunday at 1 PM.

What would I like to see in future rallies??? Doesn't really matter, I'm pretty gamed for almost any adventure, as long as it's after the 20th of the month I'm good.

I think Dollywood (or surrounding area), or Disney World would be a great site, even going back to Branson, MO would be a winner.

As far as cost goes, while I didn't find the $600 to be a major factor in whether to go or not, maybe you could figure a way to make everything other than the site fees an option and that way people can tailor it to their budgets.....Just my .02 worth.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
MrG

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
I think it would be great either before or after (few days allowed for travel) Winnebago's GNR, Good Sam Rally or FMCA Rally. Now if these three would work out their timing so we could go to more than one in the summer and IRV2 can coordinate, it could be a great time and income producer for all.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

Upper/Lower Midwest-Gulf States(If the tarballs are gone)

Wisconsin Dells Area-Mackinaw Island Area in Michigan-Mississippi/Alabama Gulf possibly Florida Panhandle-thats the extreme Eastern Midwest.

2 Days +,-

Shoulder season(s) for hotter locations, otherwise middle summer ok

No as I think this would be to long for the majority of attendees unless the National Rally length would be shortened. Exam: Arrive Sunday-Leave Thurs or Friday.

6) Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National?

I believe the non-refundable deposit should be raised from $50 to possibly $75. I know that life events happen causing people to have to cancel there rally trip but the fact of the matter is deposits/firm commitments are needed up front to properly plan events/activities.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and feedback.

Andy[/QUOTE]
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid States would be good. Travel time for working people.

2) Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event? - Dollywood would be great idea

3) How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend? 1 or 2

4) Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be
better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?
I think maybe 2 small Nat. rallies maybe the answer - 1 summer 1 winter and them rotate locations of rallie -like summer in west/north -fall in east/south - then switch next year.
5) Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event? I don't think many people could get that much time, unless retired.

The park has no cabins/trailers to rent. I might have come if I could have flown and stayed at the park. It was to far to drive on my limited vacation days I can take at one time.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great feedback, folks! This is exactly what we're looking for.

Let's hear from more of you. Afterall, it is YOUR iRV2.com National Rally & the more input you give, the better it will be.

Thanks!

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
1) What region would you like to see the rally in? Tough question, but central part of the country makes it equal for everyone unless you alternate west one year and east the next year.

2) Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event? Not at this time.
3) How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend? 2 to 3 but only if I could stay in one spot for a week.

The shoulder season is better but that obviously keeps the kids/grandkids from going along.
5) Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event? Piggy backing would be wonderful.

6) Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National? My preference would be where the weather is warm, not hot!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #12

Orlando Florida would be a great location and tie it in with seeing local attractions such as Disney World, Universal Studios, Bush Gardens.

Time frame, early Spring (March Break) or late Summer early Fall.

Henry.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It might be an event too big to plan but I would suggest two simultaneous rallies, one in the east and one in the west. Make the annual meeting a teleconference. I know 2 events, 2 wagon masters, etc. But maybe it would fly.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
What region would you like to see the rally in?
We are a bit biased since we have spent so much time there, but the Black Hills area of South Dakota is becoming a destination, not just an interesting stopover enroute to Yellowstone. I guess this is the Western area?
Do you have a specific location that you feel would be fun for the event?
There are numerous campgrounds and RV parks that could handle a rally the size the National. The northern Hills area from say Rapid City to Mammoth has many acceptable parks. Rafter J near Hill City comes to mind as one of the most spread out and best know. We have never stayed there, but have been through a couple of times. Broken Arrow in Custer SD is another FHU park with a beautiful view of the Cathedral Spires area.
How many days are you willing to travel (one way) to get to a National before it's too far to attend?
Like Half-Dimes we really don't mind traveling for a few days. It takes us about 3 days or so to travel from N Georgia to Rapid. Weather is the key for us. Middle of summer and crossing deserts or such is just not comfortable for anyone, as would it be in the northern states in November or December.

Do you like the middle of the summer time frame or would a shoulder season rally be better (late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall)?
Our kids are grown so that is not a problem for us. As evidenced by the Pigeon Forge rally a few years back, mid-summer can be miserable. Spring in the Hills is a beautiful time of the year and would work for those of us with children or grandchildren who might want to attend. KIds love the Rushmore and CrazyHorse monuments as well as the free-roaming buffalo herd in Custer SP. It would be a shame to have a rally in this area and the kids not get to experience all this.

Would it be fun to piggy back the National onto another highly attended event?
That might be a problem in the northern Hills area. In the first couple of weeks in August the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally takes place and the area gets flooded with bikers - estimated at something like 1/2 to 3/4 million. This gets to be dicey when wanting to do some local touring and having a half mile of bikes passing or trying to pass.
I will say that Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, The Badlands NP, Custer State Park, Wind Cave NP and even Wall Drug are in the area and are a lot of fun and very interesting. Spearfish Canyon (a portion of the movie ,"Dances with Wolves" was made here is a great drive and costs nothing for those of us who are more budget minded. It is just a short day trip to Sundance Wyoming and the Devil's Tower National Monument.
Weather in the Hills is reasonable, even in the summer.

Do you have any other suggestions or feedback that we should consider when deciding where to make the 2011 National
Will everyone agree on any location? Not a chance. Someone suggested on another post someplace that the reason the middle of summer was to accomodate those with kids. This is a good thing, but do we really want to disinfranchise those of us without kids by requiring it be mid-summer always? Just asking and not wanting to offend anyone. Kids should definitely be included at a rally here.
We have many contacts in the Hills area that would assist in setting up a rally there if this location were chosen. We would be willing to do whatever we could to make it happen as well.

I have no comment on rally costs except to say that price will impact many in this day of poor national economic conditions. I have no idea what it costs to run this site, but expect money made from a rally might help defray costs and keep it free for those of us who frequent the site.
There are many things in the Hills that are just yours to see for free. No cost except for parking at Rushmore. Package deals are available at Crazy Horse. All of Custer SP is available (72,000 acres) for the cost of an entrance pass. Wall Drug - free
Cabela's in Mitchell SD has free parking for those coming that direction, as well as Cabela's in Rapid City.
Think about it and as always, this is just my humble opinion.

doc and ms Carol.