Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
frankdamp, Stiff upper lip while we sort this all out!
It seems to me, there has been no real outcry of people unhappy with our National Rally, so why don't we move on to more important things such as planning to attend said Rally in September, in which everyone is invited.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where's the original poster?

He apparently had very strong reasons for making sure the rally didn't discriminate or disenfranchise anyone...theres that word again, Driver.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #31
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Where's the original poster?
Our very good friend GaryKD honorably made the request for the name change because it was his thought that we could benefit from including more people at our annual event and remove the perception that some folks are disenfranchised.

I would offer that we certainly do not want to table this discussion and I would not want to suggest that the issue be dismissed out of hand.

Now for the reasons that I put forward, the biggest being member push back on the name change, I would suggest that we keep the current title the way it is for the time being and if an opportunity presents itself to improve the title, we should look at it again.

There is no question that we are an inviting group of people and we are not excluding anyone if they choose to attend one of our many rallies including the "National."

If most of us that are participating in this thread agree, I would request that the recommendation from bsirby be accepted and the thread be "closed."
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
doc

Appalachian Campers
Second the suggestion for closure
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #33

You could call it the Dusty nationals because if the wind is just right you get a dust storm off of the rock quarry next door.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Elkhartjim,
I did not start this thread. Someone started it because I posted the idea in another thread. I posted my thoughts earlier in this thread. There is nothing more for me to say different than I have already posted. I am disappointed in the way this was handled. While not knowing where the posters are from, gut feel says we have a group of USA based members saying there is no problem with the name. Duh?

My suggestion to change the name was based on my experience working, around the world, for most of my 38 years in the workforce. When one spends a considerable amount of time being the minority, in a foreign country, one gets educated on sensitivity and inclusion (and exclusion). I'd be so bold as to state if the posters in this thread have not had extensive international experience; then maybe that poster is not qualified to provide an educated opinion. It is obvious opinions will be provided. It comes down to the opinion being valid with education and experience or is it just somebody's view based on ???

iRV2 has grown. When maturity descends on any organization (or person) changes are made. None of us acts or believes the same as when we were much younger. iRV2 should not continue to act the same as when it was much smaller. It is/has become a leader in the online RV community. It may be time for iRV2 to show the maturity required of a leader.

I read "if it isn't broke don't fix it". Is that what a leader does; waits until something breaks until changes are made? Is that what a trend setting organization does; wait until obvious flaws draw from the business before reacting to each and every situation? Only the iRV2 owner and staff can answer. This is a business decision.

I'd like to think iRV2 recognizes its' position in the worldwide online RV community. If it does this, the decision is simple and easy. It matters not who attends the rally. What matters is iRV2's position on naming the annual event to reflect including all members.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO, if the rally is held in multiple nations, then "International Rally" is appropiate. If it's always held in the USA, then "National Rally" is the only appropriate name. I would have no problem with any other country who always hosted a rally, calling it "National Rally"
If you call it International, but it is always held in the USA, it just does'nt sound right or maybe it is a wannabe big.
Baseball has American and National leagues. Football has the National Football League, is any one insulted because of these names?
Come on guys, this political correctness has already ran amuck, do we have to contribute more to it?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Elkhartjim,
I did not start this thread. Someone started it because I posted the idea in another thread.
For the record this post and answers to it was extracted from the post announcing the National Rally.

It was a subject different from the original post that was and has taken on a life of it's own so here it is as it's own thread..
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
IMO, if the rally is held in multiple nations, then "International Rally" is appropiate. If it's always held in the USA, then "National Rally" is the only appropriate name. I would have no problem with any other country who always hosted a rally, calling it "National Rally"
If you call it International, but it is always held in the USA, it just does'nt sound right or maybe it is a wannabe big.
Baseball has American and National leagues. Football has the National Football League, is any one insulted because of these names?
Come on guys, this political correctness has already ran amuck, do we have to contribute more to it?
I also agree with the above comments.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nevermind
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I adhere to Shakespeare's line of reasoning, i.e. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". I don't think it's the name of an event that makes us international in scope, nor is it the labels we use that make us a warm and friendly place for people of all nations.

This is my personal view and not a policy statement by iRV2 management.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You know I heard that the Iliad was not written by Homer but by another Greek with the same name
Bill
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #41
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
After much discussion, we have decided to keep the traditional title of "National".

Thanks for the comments.

Closed Thread