Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rally name change from National to International

This a long thread. I hope this request does not get lost. Please consider changing the name of the National Rally to International Rally. Consider changing the thread titles to International Rally.

For me, this is a more inclusive title. iRV2 is an international RV forum.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
This a long thread. I hope this request does not get lost. Please consider changing the name of the National Rally to International Rally. Consider changing the thread titles to International Rally.

I am not sure I can answer the question... Maybe a new thread started about what the rally should be called. I think I remember reading a thread that suggested calling it the fall rally... How about the 12th annual rally? Whatever it is called... The rally committee is going to do their best to make it a fun, informative event. Happy Holidays ... Dickson

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We have discussed this several times in the past and the decision was always to keep it as the National Rally.

I'll bring it up again.

Quote:

Old 12-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
We have discussed this several times in the past and the decision was always to keep it as the National Rally.
You know; I have no objections if the Rally is called National or International. I came up with the original description; "National" because of the fact that the majority of members came from within the contiguous United States. I would absolutely love our Canadian and Latino neighbors to join us at one of our rallies.

At the 2011 Rally we did not have any International guests but they are certainly welcome to join us. I would also like to see if at some point in time we might not want to have an event up in Canada on the St. Lawrence Seaway. There are so many things to see and do. Ottawa has numerous museums and the Parliament buildings are open to visitors.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW, it matters not who attends the annual rally. What matters is the title International Rally is inclusive and inviting to all iRV2 members.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
FWIW, it matters not who attends the annual rally. What matters is the title International Rally is inclusive and inviting to all iRV2 members.
Gary, Considering that we receive traffic from English speaking countries all over the world like Australia, New Zealand, England and including countries in Europe, we are indeed an International Social Networking Community. In regards to Canada, why those folks have always been a part of iRV2.com from the get go and we them see as our northern neighbors! Pretty soon I expect that someone will stand and be recognized as wanting to put on a Rally in Canada and I am awaiting for that day to come.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
DriVer, I think we are close to being on the same page.

Like you DriVer, I'm waiting for those, in iRV2, who have the power to "stand and be recognized" as having events whose first impression (title/name) is inclusive and inviting to all members.

I have read no posts against the word "International" being used. What could be the negative?

A simple test of one's bias is to reverse the situation. Sit back an think, what if iRV2 was started in Canada. What if most of the members were from Canada. What would your gut view (being a USA member) be when each year iRV2 had a National Rally rally held in Canada and having a fully Canadian influence. At least the name change to International Rally should have some effect on members not from Canada to feel welcome and included.

It matters not where the rallies are held. It matters not who attends the rallies. What matters is having the annual event match the target market of iRV2.

Dumb me, but this seems an easy decision.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
International vs. National

I know a really good reason to call it the International Rally. Those of us who own RV's made by National Motor Coach Industries wouldn't get confused. Every time my DW mentions something about the National Rally, I have to ask if it is the iRV2 rally for everyone in the nation, or if it is the regional rally of those who own National® Brand RVs.

Please change it.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
I know a really good reason to call it the International Rally. Those of us who own RV's made by National Motor Coach Industries wouldn't get confused. Every time my DW mentions something about the National Rally, I have to ask if it is the iRV2 rally for everyone in the nation, or if it is the regional rally of those who own National® Brand RVs.
I would suggest that for the very same reason that if we rename our annual event just for that purpose alone, we could confuse the issue as well by suggesting that our event would be geared toward International® branded over the road trucks. This reason is not a logical or a compelling reason to change the name of our annual event.

iRV2.com is a viable living entity. Unfortunately the National® name brand has faded into history. Using the legacy brand identity argument purpose alone should not be a compelling reason the change an "11" year old immediately identifyable name brand that the majority of the members here associate with our annual event and organization.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Good arguments all around. If we really wanted to be inclusive though, why stop at international which could be confused with cornbinders? Why not intercontinental? Since we claim to be blind to politics, and specifically forbid anyone to talk about them, why would we include nations, political factions, into our get togethers name?

Of course then we aren't very inviting to the little green men from Mars. Perhaps that's why we haven't seen any at the events. They don't feel welcome because of the name of an event. Maybe we could be more accomodating by calling it the Interplanetary Event.

Now that also brings up the problem of people from other galaxy's. Intergalactic Event anyone?

Is it really the name of the event that keeps a Canadian from attending? Does anyone here not buy BP (British Petroleum) gasoline, because you don't feel included in their name?

Maybe I've had too much eggnog, but I don't think the name needs to be changed.

Ken
Old 12-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
The idea of making it "international" sounds awful pompous to me. Especially with a membership no larger than what we are. When one uses terms like that, you expect to see rallies like FMCA (Perry, Ga for example) or the Winnebago (Forest City, Iowa)
When your present 'National' rally is considerably less than 100 coaches and regional rallies (Texas group) is as large or larger than 'the rally' for the entire organization, then you need to grow some before you start using 'international'.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
It matters not where the rallies are held. It matters not who attends the rallies. What matters is having the annual event match the target market of iRV2..
An effort to rename a brand name that will allow its audience to feel included was previously accomplished by a competing organization and it does ring the bell of removing the limiting geographical barrier by simplicity alone. AGI's "The Rally" brand name accomplishes this task admirably, simply and all inclusively.

If we undertake the task to rename an existing 11 year old brand name that is immediately identifiable to its intended audience, we could confuse the issue.

What should compel a decision to re-brand our annual event must accomplish 2 objectives:
A. Achieve the task of removing the geographical limit in name alone.
B. Establish a brand name that its target audience can immediately identify with.

Absent meeting either of the objectives above, I see no compelling argument to re-brand the name; "iRV2.com National Rally." In my opinion the use of International limits the geographical audience of the attendees. Why not use the word, "Universal?" Now we can also include the folks up in the ISS.

At this point in time, the word "National" is not intended to be a geographical quantity or limit in any sense of the word but is a simply a brand name that iRV2 members have been able to rally around over the past 11 years that the event has been put forward.

One could also suggest that when NRV was producing motorhomes, would they have had a better business model if they had changed their name brand to International RV so they could sell product outside the Continental United States?

We also need to ask ourselves; Would Coca Cola change their name to "Brown Fluid?" Perhaps not, but you would be able to identify the color & contents of the package pretty quickly.

Changing an established brand name from a marketing perspective would typically be a disaster unless the name is much improved, compelling and triggers a need on the part of the participants to attend the rally.

Suggesting that a greater geographical identity is required to markedly improve the brand name which may improve the attendance of the event is not enough compelling evidence to require a name change. In my opinion, changing the name to "International" would only serve to confuse the issue, limits the geographical area since it is the only prevailing argument and it adds a complexity to the name that I'm sure the average member would not welcome.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DriVer,
What happened between post #4 and post #12?

Let us not confuse the debate with possibilities that are of a low priority. The bottom line is, does iRV2 want its' annual event to match the market it is trying to solicit members from? Simple as that.

Some of your examples do not apply to this situation and should not be used.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Hi DriVer,
What happened between post #4 and post #12?
All I am suggesting is that if we deem it necessary to re-name the event that we render geographical borders obsolete. Whether the rally is regional, national, international, continental, intercontinental, global or universal is not as important as coming up with a name that is simple yet passes the lithiums test with iRV2 members. See Para #1, Post 12.

Why is this important? Because we want the title to imply that all are welcome regardless of borders.

The challenge therefore is; what description can we come up with that nails it in 2 words or less?

I recall that some time ago, one of the Regions (NE'ers) put forward language that removed the word "rally" and substituted it with "campout."

Perhaps; The Campout!

The suggested name implies being out doors, yes camping, (some of us forget) and yet it is unlimited as to who may come. I believe that this achieves the objective that you were pursuing without having to imply that an international area of members require inclusion per your initial comments. This suggested title therefore promotes a community coming together without borders.

The extended title could wind up looking like this, "The 2012 iRV2.com Campout." or it could be left as is: "The Campout" and add a description under the title.

Are there any other suggestions?

Closed Thread