Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #1

Just brainstorming here but wondering if it would be possible to find some way to allow those interested to weigh their rigs...determine pin weight at the rally? Another suggestion would be to find a place that is level to allow all of us to calibrate our levels.
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #2

Just brainstorming here but wondering if it would be possible to find some way to allow those interested to weigh their rigs...determine pin weight at the rally? Another suggestion would be to find a place that is level to allow all of us to calibrate our levels.
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 04-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #3

Ken, last year at our HDT Rally out in Wichita there was a fellow who came in and did complete rig weights one wheel at a time. It was good to find out how balanced we were and we could figure all the different weights we wanted. There was a charge, I think it was $40.00. I had to leave early and did not get a chance to have it done but maybe this would be of interest?

I was just emailed the link for the people who do the weighing and who would need to be contacted.

National safety foundation

David
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #4

Dave - That would be interesting to find out actual weights. Seems like somebody could make some money by coming up with a portable scale that you could just place under the hitch pin, lift just enough to take all weight off, and find exact hitch pin weight. Are you going to the rally...more importantly, are you going to bring that beautiful rig with you?
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #5

Ken, I am trying to land a spot at the rally, I checked in on this a little late but I think Don is trying to add some on. I will be bringing my rig and my Goldwingand the sidekick if I can get in.

The scale he used was placed under two wheels at a time and recorded from front to back then unhooked the fiver and did it again. It gave some interesting data to work with.
David
Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be interested in Four corner weights.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I would be interested in getting my rig weighed at the rally as well, Sounds like a great idea to me!! Also anthoner good person to have at one of our rallys is someone who sells window sun shades, the type you put on to block out sun, but not your view!! See you all in a few months !!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had RVSEF at the rally in Nashville. I tired again for last year's rally but not only would they not respond to any of my e-mails, they would call me back either.

Maybe this year's wagonmaster would have better luck.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
How much would be willing to pay? I have considered doing this as a side line (asis info) but the scales run from $1.5k to over $4k EACH. I figure you need at least 2. But, with the cost of fuel and maybe limited travel plans recouping initial costs could take some time.

Class A' and C's wouldn't be to difficult. 5er's and TT's could get to be time consuming if you wanted something other than the rig in the hitched position.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #10

I currently pay $2.50 per axle and is the only scale within 50 miles but all I wanted to know was the hitch pin weight. If you can find a way to just slip something under the kingpin while a camper is parked and lift it just enough to measure the actual hitch pin weight I think you could go to any campground around and make it well worth your while.
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 04-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have considered doing this as a side line (asis info) but the scales run from $1.5k to over $4k EACH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A used set of scales sold on eBay last week for about $150. I thought about bidding and weighing at iRV2 rallies but after careful consideration decided not to, figured it'd be considered a conflict of interest for me to be making $$$ at the rally while also being the assistant wagon master for it.

Now if someone else were to do it, that's a horse of a different color.

I think there's a couple more still available, but they were higher. Here's one.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #12

The ones I am looking at are computerized and do much more that weigh. Not that the MD 400's won't do the job. Decision time!

I have a bid on ebay! As Paul Harvey says, "Standby for News!"
Old 05-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #13

OK boys and girls lets put them rigs on a diet... The weight doc will be at the rally.

Yep I picked up a pair of truck scales so maybe we can set up a day to weigh rigs. What do you all think. If there is enough interest I will start a new thread for weighin..
Old 05-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds good to me I always like to weighin to things. "007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote