Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's some stuff I've copied and pasted from other web sites regarding the area of our '06 National Rally. If you know of other interesting activities, places to eat, attractions, etc., please add to the thread.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>NATIONAL PARK: The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited national park in the country. There are 12 major hiking trails and nine self-guided trails. Maps of the trails may be obtained at the Park Visitor Center located at the park entrance.

<LI>HIKING TRAILS - There are plenty of other activities when visiting the Smokies. If you're looking to spend a day in the mountains hiking may be the way for you. Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains can be anywhere from a leisure hike to a day of exercise with a strenuous workout. There are numerous trails in the Smokies.

Chimney Tops - 4 miles; 1,335' climb; strenuous; winds through virgin forest to the Chimney Top pinnacles
Abrams Falls -5 miles; 340' climb; moderate: a relatively flat trail leading to the 20-foot falls
Arch Rock - 2.5 miles; 400' climb; easy; trail leads to an erosion-created tunnel
Hen Wallow Falls - 4 miles; 520' climb; moderate; good, short day hike to 95-foot falls

<LI>SELF GUIDED NATURE TRAILS - Many of the trail heads for self-guided trails in the Smokies are easily accessible by car.

Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail - 3,000-foot loop, paved trail with educational exhibits and special communications media
Alum Cave Bluffs - 5 miles; passes through a bald of mountain laurel and rhododendrons
Cades Cove - 0.5 miles; explains how settlers used native plants
Cove Hardwoods - 0.75 miles; grove of old-growth deciduous trees
Laurel Falls - 2.5 miles; paved trail leads through a pine-oak forest to the falls

<LI>FISHING: Sevierville is near beautiful Douglas Lake with excellent bass and crappie fishing - boat rentals available. Many fishing areas in the national park are full of trout and small mouth bass. For more information on fishing, contact the Park Visitor Center at (865) 436-5615

<LI>GOLFING: Sevierville offers two challenging golf courses. The Eagle's Landing Golf Club and Par 3 Golf Course showcase the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains on their 18-hole courses.

<LI>SHOPPING: Located in the heart of the best outlet, antique and craft shopping in the country, Sevierville is a shopper's paradise. From designer clothes and outlet stores to mountain crafts and flea markets, shoppers find a variety of treasures in Sevierville.
[/list]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Here's some stuff I've copied and pasted from other web sites regarding the area of our '06 National Rally. If you know of other interesting activities, places to eat, attractions, etc., please add to the thread.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>NATIONAL PARK: The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited national park in the country. There are 12 major hiking trails and nine self-guided trails. Maps of the trails may be obtained at the Park Visitor Center located at the park entrance.

<LI>HIKING TRAILS - There are plenty of other activities when visiting the Smokies. If you're looking to spend a day in the mountains hiking may be the way for you. Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains can be anywhere from a leisure hike to a day of exercise with a strenuous workout. There are numerous trails in the Smokies.

Chimney Tops - 4 miles; 1,335' climb; strenuous; winds through virgin forest to the Chimney Top pinnacles
Abrams Falls -5 miles; 340' climb; moderate: a relatively flat trail leading to the 20-foot falls
Arch Rock - 2.5 miles; 400' climb; easy; trail leads to an erosion-created tunnel
Hen Wallow Falls - 4 miles; 520' climb; moderate; good, short day hike to 95-foot falls

<LI>SELF GUIDED NATURE TRAILS - Many of the trail heads for self-guided trails in the Smokies are easily accessible by car.

Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail - 3,000-foot loop, paved trail with educational exhibits and special communications media
Alum Cave Bluffs - 5 miles; passes through a bald of mountain laurel and rhododendrons
Cades Cove - 0.5 miles; explains how settlers used native plants
Cove Hardwoods - 0.75 miles; grove of old-growth deciduous trees
Laurel Falls - 2.5 miles; paved trail leads through a pine-oak forest to the falls

<LI>FISHING: Sevierville is near beautiful Douglas Lake with excellent bass and crappie fishing - boat rentals available. Many fishing areas in the national park are full of trout and small mouth bass. For more information on fishing, contact the Park Visitor Center at (865) 436-5615

<LI>GOLFING: Sevierville offers two challenging golf courses. The Eagle's Landing Golf Club and Par 3 Golf Course showcase the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains on their 18-hole courses.

<LI>SHOPPING: Located in the heart of the best outlet, antique and craft shopping in the country, Sevierville is a shopper's paradise. From designer clothes and outlet stores to mountain crafts and flea markets, shoppers find a variety of treasures in Sevierville.
[/list]
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The trip up into the mountains is something to see.
If you go down the "otherside" of the mountain, you have

This

and This
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #4

I've noticed there are some other Ham operators on this site as well as me (W0CSC). I recently acquired some Ten Tec gear and just found out their factory is in Sieverville. We are pretty certain we are going to the rally but haven't registered yet until another couple decide if they want to go also. I would like to visit the Ten Tec site. Any other Hams interested?
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I already started a few posts , one on <span class="ev_code_BLUE">golf</span> and the other on <span class="ev_code_RED">Motor Cycle rides</span> Check them out if your interested.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by calliopeguy:
I've noticed there are some other Ham operators on this site as well as me (W0CSC). I recently acquired some Ten Tec gear and just found out their factory is in Sieverville. We are pretty certain we are going to the rally but haven't registered yet until another couple decide if they want to go also. I would like to visit the Ten Tec site. Any other Hams interested?
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been in that area several times. Each time I have said I was gonna go by Ten-Tec. But never have.

Maybe this trip I will. HAd a PAragon II at one time. Fine radio, should not have sold it... But oh well thats the way things go.

Don (W5IT)
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am interested in visiting Ten Tec. The last time we were in that area was on the way home from the Nashville iRV2 rally. We found Ten Tec, but they were closed.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #8

Anybody have any thoughts on a rummage sale? If everybody brought just two items it would make it interesting. EVERYONE has at least two items they have been saving for reasons unknown other than it's just too good to throw away. Plus not too likely anybody would drag just plain junk all the way to the rally so the items would tend to be a little higher in quality than normal. It could be just a scheduled short term thing so nobody is tied up all day.

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by calliopeguy:
Anybody have any thoughts on a rummage sale? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea. We had one at the rally in Nashville and I think people enjoyed it. Everyone just set up their stuff by their rigs. I think it went on for about 3 hours or so.
Mike
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Its a great Idea, we just need to get Don to gey it on the books.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will contact Ten Tec and see if they would give us a brief tour.

If possible I will schedule it so that we do not conflict with other activities.

Ted (Flytyer)
WB2LOU
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What do you think, Don. Can we have a morning available sometime for the rummage/yard sale?
Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can we have a morning available sometime for the rummage/yard sale? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Don! Let's have one.

We had one in Nashville in '03, in Texas in '04, and Lancaster last year! We have set a precedent that ought to be followed.

Plus, I want to see what junk Mike has to sell.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
I will contact Ten Tec and see if they would give us a brief tour.

If possible I will schedule it so that we do not conflict with other activities.

Ted (Flytyer)
WB2LOU </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news !! Ten Tec has invited our amateur radio operator members to a tour. The specific schedule will be worked out and I will post it here. I think it will be on Weds mroning (7/19/06). Ten Tec is within a 15 min drive of the campground.

I am sure our Wagonmaster will also include it in the handouts, etc. I'll have details by April 5th...we are in route on our way home from Florida.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote