RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

12 v ceiling lights

Hello

I have a 2003 Monaco dynasty. There are six 12 v
Ceiling lights in living room. 3 on each side in front of overhead cabinets.
On the same ceiling lights in dinette the 3 turn on
When you turn on with switch under cabinets.

The ones in Living room donít turn on either side.

Any ideas?

Mike

Mjackson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Is there a switch for those by the entry door? Could be a switch there that controls them as entry lights. I have two switches by the door of my coach, one controls the light right over the passenger seat, the other controls a couple in the salon area to light the coach on entry.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Start by determining if you have voltage at the lights that don't work. Check more than one of them. Yes I realize it's not likely that all lights would quit at the same time but with electrical issues you have to proceed with a step by step approach.

If you make an assumption without verification it may come back and bite you in the BUTT. Ask me how I know!!!

If no voltage is present then I'd go to the switch. Since the switch is controlling the flow of current you need to determine if the voltage is present. If it is when the switch is changed then the voltage has to go through the switch and to the lights. If you do have voltage on one wire and not the other then that switch is bad.

If you don't have voltage then you need to find a blown fuse. Don't assume that a fuse is working just because it looks good. Check voltage on one side to ground then on the other side to ground. Then you know the fuse is really good.

Proceed through those steps first and don't skip any of them then let us know what you've found.

This stuff is really not that difficult but you must follow the correct steps and verify what you do and do not have present.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

My Windsor only has one row down the middle so I can't help with that! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

Hi Mike

Have you checked to see if there controlled by a separate switch?

this place is great

Safe travels
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. The shut off switch controls all
12 v lights. That is fine. Everything works except these
2 rows of ceilings lights. These lights I believe are turned on with a switch under
Cabinets that control another set of lights. The other lightswork
Thatís the confusing part. And yes I checked the bulbs!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Thanks for the replies. The shut off switch controls all
12 v lights. That is fine. Everything works except these
2 rows of ceilings lights. These lights I believe are turned on with a switch under Cabinets that control another set of lights. The other lightswork
That’s the confusing part. And yes I checked the bulbs! "

Thanks for the replies.

The shut off switch controls ALL 12 v lights. That is fine. So you have one switch that if ALL your ceiling lights were on it would turn them all off??? That's interesting!!! And I'm assuming that you have voltage at that switch??

Everything works except these 2 rows of ceilings lights. And I'm assuming that you do not have any voltage at those 2 rows of lights that don't work??

These lights (Are you referring to the 2 rows of lights that don't work) I believe are turned on with a switch under Cabinets that control another set of lights. And you have voltage at that switch and those lights turn off and on??

The other lightswork What OTHER lights work???

That’s the confusing part. What's confusing??? And yes I checked the bulbs!

Sometimes what is confusing to you makes no sense to us because you are not conveying exactly what is obviously confusing to you. From my point of view I don't know which end is up or who's on first!!!

You are there so you know what is and is not working. Make yourself a wiring diagram and see if it makes any more sense to you.

Have you tried running a known good wire from one of the light switches that does work to the lights that don't work?? That would make certain that they can work if voltage is applied. There's no bad grounds of loose connections.

Have you checked all fuses at the 12 V fuse box that fuses some other lights in the same area?? If that fuse box controls other ceiling lights it's a better assumption to make that fuse box also controls voltage to the lights that don't work.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #9

So, as you can see from photo the 3 ceiling lights are
not working but the 3 under cabinets are. There is a dimmer
switch that controls lights on under cabinets and
I thought that same dimmer operated ceiling lights.

But, same exact thing on driver side. If they are on
same dimmer seems strange that ceiling would be
out due to fuse etc. and highly improbable a loose
wire would happen on both sides. They are two separate
dimmer switches for under cabinets. Maybe there
is a switch that controls the six ceiling lights I am missing?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My executive has ceiling lights over the couch on ds and desk on ps that are 12 puck lights. The are controlled by a dimmer over the desk on ps. The 3 over the dining table are controlled with a different dimmer under the next set of overhead cabinets from the prior dimmer

The ceiling lights near the entrance are by a switch in the stairwell except over the driver seat
Old 01-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
What photo?????

I don't believe you ever answered this question. Do you have voltage to the 2 rows of lights down the center that don't work???? If you don't run a power wire to one of those lights and see what happens. They will be wired in parallel. With power to one they should all work or not. If not then you're missing a ground or all 6 bulbs are out but you checked the bulbs.

There's more confusion in MHO!!! We only need to know which and what lights are not working. We don't need to know about lights that are working and which ones have a dimmer. Stop confusing us by giving adding information that you think is or is supposed to be happening with the lights that are not working.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass just asking you to tell us just the facts man just the facts.

OK!!! You have 2 rows of center ceiling lights that don't work. And we still don't know if voltage is present. If you THINK the non working lights are being fed by another switch that's fine but we don't need to know that. All you have to do is connect your positive DVOM lead to one of the non working lights lead and the other lead to a known good ground.

If you have no voltage you turn on switches until you find one that provides voltage to that light or not. If not then maybe they are not controlled by another switch. Or then the voltage going to those lights is not getting there. Now you find the source of the feed that is not working etc, etc.

Tags
ceiling, light, lights