Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

1977 Ford motorhome co who built it unknown

hello
i bought this motor home in may of this year .transfer the title went to my insurance agent the title reads 1977 ford body type mtrh. he says ok who built it got to have a name for the policy . i went home open up every door hatch looked in every nook and crannie i cannot find an id plate on this thing . turns out i call the folks that i bought it from they have the same insurance co as me just a differnt agent .they told me they had no issue getting it insured . i call him back my agent and tell him what i found out he says ok will try to run it through . it went through luckly now i could at least get a plate on it . the question that i really am asking is there anyway to find out who built this motor home its not a home made unit ? i have the vin no if this will help and yes he still calls me from time to time find out who built that thing yet first thing that comes outta his mouth. thanks for your time p.s. i will be posting photo,s of it soon
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
WOOO-HOOO!!!! A new game! Welcome to iRV2, mechanic1!
I personally think you should add the photo ASAP so we can all take a guess as to what it is. There is usually a plate -most of the time it is on the wall near the driver seat - that has the manufacturer name on it.

You may also want to check out information in the Vintage Forum. You do qualify to become a member to that family - along with the manufacturer forum, once you find out who it is.

Again...welcome to iRV2..we hope you visit & post often!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking forward to seeing a picture of the old motorhome. Mechanic1, welcome to iRV2.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #4

Most likely it really doesn't matter. But I would think that a title search would turn up the original description. Perhaps you can run the VIN number thru one of the databases that give the history of a vehicle.

BTW, my title says its a MIDAS (RV) not a GMC (chassis). Yours must have been changed on a title at some point.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #5

Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #6

hello again

i have uploaded these photos of my 1977 ford motor home hope you can figure out who built this coach what a beauty hope you enjoy the photos less than 25.000 on this ol girl thank you dave sr
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice looking coach. Not bad for a 77 model. I have no idea as to who made it though. If the exterior color scheme is original in design, it might be a Midas. There are a bunch of manufacturers back them and lot went by the wayside.

A couple of interesting patches on the front and the back. I would get that propane tank inspected and tested. If it passes, wire brush it and get a good coat of Rustoleum on it.

Now we have something to work with. Any one had one of these in the past.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #8

hi ken
the story with the propane tank is, the previous owner thought it was unsafe, so he re-routed the propane line into valuable storage space now I have two twenty pound tanks. We're going to get the factory tank tested, and hopefully put it back to original, that will also free up space for the portable generator. Thank you, and have a good day. Dave Sr.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #9

hey ken
how do you like those lime green seats and the pink shower curtain that's all gonna go i see no 3 on the shower curtain or a no 8 for junior but check out the ceilings in this thing no water damage no leaks amazing were checking the local bone yards right now for captains chairs the rest of it will just have it recovered update the whole thing everything in this motor home works after all this time i graduated in 1976 and the new owner of this was just taking delivery a year later talk to yaha later
Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 79 has some gold, rust, orange and avacado inside. We are working on a redo and trying to update but still keep some of the original colors in it. We put down a strip laminate floor in the bath and it is getting new carpet later this week or early next week.

Clean up the roof seams and cover them with Eternabond to keep them water tight. That stuff is amazing.

Ken

Ken
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
not a clue from here to what it R but what a neat coach if it were mine, i would register it as an antique vehichle an pay $25.oo for life time plates in tn.
brianj
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #12

hey brian
pennsylvania does not offer a antique motor home plate i called a notary to doubble check gosh darn it
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #13

Angry dometic frig question

i have a dometic rm 660 gas and electric frig in my motorhome. thing is freezer door will not retract back to the up postion , don't know what the kids did to it but i know if i don,t fix it someone is gonna close the door and snap or break the freezer door any help would be appreciated
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suggestion, if it has a VIN plate (Or if there is a VIN on the title) then Ford may still have records of who they sold the chassis to.

NOTE: ford VIN's of that era are short, and I can not even guess the format of a Truck VIN. if there is a serries of letters and numbers, starting and ending with a Script letter F, then that serries of letters and numbers (Without the "F"'s) is the VIN.

As I recall, ford did use a block "F" at the start of some truck vins back then.... But it's been a long, long time since I looked at 70's ford truck vins.

Second... Open every door, every cubbord... You may yet find a sticker.. One common sticker is a full page (8 1/2 by 11) with paint codes on it.. That too should have the maker's name.