RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Smile 1996 Newmar Dutch Star

New Motorhome owner 1996 Newmar Dutch Star. It needs some TLC thanks to the last owner letting it sit for 2 yrs before he sold it. Didnt think I got to bad of a deal 45000 miles for 12 k.
So far I have

1 replaced the 4k generator with a 6.5k generator the ran so ruff you felt like you had a vibrating bed in the back of the coach
2. After knowing that the 4k generator would run way smoother than the 6.5 cleaned electrical rings, replaced the voltage regulator , fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, Cleaning the main fuel jet in carburetor, Adjusting the carb and last but not least adj the governor.
3. installed the 4k back in the coach and runs like a well oiled machine
4. Repaired the leveling jack control system found a broken wire
5. Adj the shoes on the autopark brake(scared the crap out of me when i stopped at a stopped sign put it park and set the e brake jumped out of the drivers seat to set something off a counter and it started rolling into the street luckily there wasn't any traffic that day)
6. replaced the house battery's with AGM batters to do this had to cut out the battery tray and build a larger one and mount in the place of the old one

I think that is it so far

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Congrats on your new DS.

Happy Trails!

Old 10-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:46 AM   #4

You've got great bones to start with. Was the 6.5k used? Does your '96 have any slides? Is so, inspect carefully around the slide to ensure proper fit/seal. Check for soft wood in the bottom of the slide. Also, pay particular attention to the age of the tires, and condition of the roof. Diesel for gas? I am assuming gas if you had a 4kw genny.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You've got great bones to start with. Was the 6.5k used? Does your '96 have any slides? Is so, inspect carefully around the slide to ensure proper fit/seal. Check for soft wood in the bottom of the slide. Also, pay particular attention to the age of the tires, and condition of the roof. Diesel for gas? I am assuming gas if you had a 4kw genny.
The 6.5 was used still sitting in my garage floor waiting on me to get it running and sold.

I have one slide and I posted in another spot about the bottom right corner doesn't seal. I was wondering if there is an option to align it or what I might do to correct this problem.

I will have a look for soft wood on the bottom of the slide(thanks for the tip).

I have been reading a lot about tires here and how to determine the correct air pressure and how to tell there age. I have 225/70/R19.5 plate in the door calls for 65# all the way around.

The roof I cleaned last week but it does have a little black spots I am assuming some kind of mold haven't been able to get it off. i am a little cautious about using anything to strong on it. I understand it should be sealed I havent got to that yet and winter is coming fast here in KY

It is a gasser
Old 10-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new coach. You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

Good luck with the referb and it sound like you have a good handle on it.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn83 View Post
The 6.5 was used still sitting in my garage floor waiting on me to get it running and sold.

I have one slide and I posted in another spot about the bottom right corner doesn't seal. I was wondering if there is an option to align it or what I might do to correct this problem. Not sure exactly which slide mechanism you have, but on some, a "cog" skips a tooth and the two ends of the slide get misaligned. On a previous travel trailer, when it happened, we loosened the cross shaft, realigned the ends, re-tightened the cross shaft, and were fixed, until it happened again (2001 Prowler).

I will have a look for soft wood on the bottom of the slide(thanks for the tip).

I have been reading a lot about tires here and how to determine the correct air pressure and how to tell there age. I have 225/70/R19.5 plate in the door calls for 65# all the way around. Tires should have a 4 digit code molded into the tire (unless REALLY OLD). For example 2914 means 29th week of 2014. Note: codes are generally only on one side of tire, so maybe mounted IN instead of OUT.

The roof I cleaned last week but it does have a little black spots I am assuming some kind of mold haven't been able to get it off. i am a little cautious about using anything to strong on it. I understand it should be sealed I havent got to that yet and winter is coming fast here in KY. Your coach appears to have the EPDM rubber roof like our TT did. Clean thoroughly, treat with primer/cleaner then apply the 2nd part. The black spots (see first pic attached) are a definite sign that the roof is in need of attention). The second pic is of the Prowler with re-coated roof and our Dutch Star side by side.

https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-w...coating-gallon I'm NOT endorsing Camping World, but this is the type of roof you probably need.

It is a gasser
You're in Georgetown. We are about an hour from you, just to the West of Lexington. With the weather being what it is, if you need to, we can move our coach out of our building, we can clean/prep your roof, move your coach into the building, let it dry, and apply the roof under cover so it has a new roof for the Winter. PM me if you are interested.

Safe travels, and enjoy your coach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	224568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 01.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	224569  

Old 11-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Okay, that was weird. Disregard the first pic in last post. Here is the pic of the TT and coach together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2001 Prowler 003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	224570  
Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

third time's a charm . . . hopefully
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prowler 003.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	224572  
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You're in Georgetown. We are about an hour from you, just to the West of Lexington. With the weather being what it is, if you need to, we can move our coach out of our building, we can clean/prep your roof, move your coach into the building, let it dry, and apply the roof under cover so it has a new roof for the Winter. PM me if you are interested.

Safe travels, and enjoy your coach!
I may take you up on that thanks.

after that first picture I might stay for dinner as well LOL

Tags
dutch star, newmar