Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #1

Happy new rig to me! Last month I bought a 2008 Itasca Cambria 26A from Lewis RV here in Dayton, after two years of research. This is a candidate for fulltiming in a few years. I'm going out for a 3 night outing, with a friend and my dog, Labor Day weekend. I have RV TP, paper towels, plates, silverware, glasses, towels, dog items, and that's about it. Other than food and clothes, any other "must have" items? We will have water and electric hook ups there at Ohio's Scioto Trail State Park.

Pumped $100 of gas into the beast at the TA Truckstop, then the VISA cut off. Next time I'll get a reciept to hang on the wall at work. I also think I may do a couple quick turns and panic stops to see how things handle in emergency situations, before I load up the kitchen.

So far, I like the unit, I've had a few folks eat lunch in it, watched a ballgame, done some crusing (815 miles), and played around at Camp Driveway. I have to store it most of the time, and don't have it set up to tow my Subaru yet. There is some drifting going down the highway, and I haven't figured out the hookup for my Direct TV box with the manual satellite dish yet, but these things will resolve easily.

Looking forward to getting some pictures up on the web page and meeting some of you, on line or on weekends.

A '57 boy and his '04 dog
Chuck Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #2

Happy new rig to me! Last month I bought a 2008 Itasca Cambria 26A from Lewis RV here in Dayton, after two years of research. This is a candidate for fulltiming in a few years. I'm going out for a 3 night outing, with a friend and my dog, Labor Day weekend. I have RV TP, paper towels, plates, silverware, glasses, towels, dog items, and that's about it. Other than food and clothes, any other "must have" items? We will have water and electric hook ups there at Ohio's Scioto Trail State Park.

Pumped $100 of gas into the beast at the TA Truckstop, then the VISA cut off. Next time I'll get a reciept to hang on the wall at work. I also think I may do a couple quick turns and panic stops to see how things handle in emergency situations, before I load up the kitchen.

So far, I like the unit, I've had a few folks eat lunch in it, watched a ballgame, done some crusing (815 miles), and played around at Camp Driveway. I have to store it most of the time, and don't have it set up to tow my Subaru yet. There is some drifting going down the highway, and I haven't figured out the hookup for my Direct TV box with the manual satellite dish yet, but these things will resolve easily.

Looking forward to getting some pictures up on the web page and meeting some of you, on line or on weekends.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck:

Welcome to IRV2! You will find some great folks here ready and willing to answer questions and hear about your rv experiences.

Sounds like you will be having a great time with your new rig. We also travel with our dog, Bear, and he loves the motorhome. Never leave home without him.

I wouldn't worry about getting everything you think you might need before your first real trip. Walmarts are usually not far away and most of us carry more stuff than we ever really need.

Have a great time and come back often to share your experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Chuck to irv2 and Winnebago forum.
Congrats on new MH Many safe miles ahead.
Dealer should have givein a kit with water hose, sewer hose and fittings, electric adapter and water pressure fitting.
If you check the brakes make sure everything is tied down and making quick turns is sure to stur up some things. Just allow yourself room around coach so you will not have the panic stops and a more enjoyable ride.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. Make sure you have an extra length of water hose, extra 25' of 30 amp power cord and an extra length of sewer hose and connector.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Chuck...
First of all ... Welcome to the IRV2 forum!!
As a female ...I am going to say - "make sure you have your kitchen basics" ..You already have some of the important things ..TP and eating utensils!
The only other major things you need are - a writing utensil and a notepad-so as you find something you missed... write it down! you are only gone for a few days ...so it won't really be a "life & death" situation...
Enjoy the new rig, enjoy yourself..and enjoy the company...all else will fall into place!

Make sure you come back and post about your trip ..we love to hear about new adventures!

Again..welcome to IRV2!!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #7

I would make sure I do the following:
1. Take the time to go through all of the owners' docs so you will be familiar with all of your systems. It is also a good idea to "exercise" all of the systems in the MH. Most of the many problems I experience with my MH were in the first year of ownership.
2. Make sure you know how to use the special "tools" that came with your MH. My MH has hand cranks for the slide if it fails to open or retract. Standing outside in the rain is the wrong time to try to figure out how to use them.
3. Check the house batteries water level. I didn't for a while only to find one of the two batteries was bone dry. The battery monitor panel didn't indicate a problem. Costly mistake.
4. Check the tire pressure all around. Don't forget to check the spare too. I check the tire pressure prior to every trip.
5. Before I moving the MH, I take a walk around it to make sure everything is in order. When I owned a camper, I drove off with the shore power cord still connected to the house. Luckily I didn't damage anything.

Years ago, I started a list (in Excel) that includes everything I need for my trips. It indicates items that are permanently in the MH (i.e. tools, TP, paper towels, etc.) and those I have to bring for each trip like food items. I update the list each trip as I think of new things that I should have included or items that I really didn't need afterall. I then transfer the updates to my master list. I print the list before each trip and check off items that I either restock or bring along. It helps ensure that I don't forget the milk for my breakfast cereal.

Have a great and safe trip.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #8

Welcome to the world of RVing.

You can save a few bucks by just using regular single ply toilet paper. It works just fine.

Good advise by other posters. You might buy plastic glasses in stead of the real thing if that's what you have. They don't seem to last long in motorhomes.

Check with somebody that knows about towing your Subaru. Many vehicles cannot be towed 4 down.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some of the rods to wedge your food in the fridge. It has a tendency to go everywhere and is quite messy.

Have fun~!

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum

If you don't have hydraulic or electric leveling jacks, you might want to explore buying some of those plastic pads to put under the tires (if this is your situation, be sure to put pads or blocks under both rear tires assuming you have dualies.)

Take a few hand tools with you. I bought one of those socket/wrench sets at Lowe's which makes it handy for keeping everything organized.

It will take a couple of outings to figure out what you need, so don't worry about trying to take everything with you the first trip.

Relax and have fun!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take some tools, screwdrivers both phillips and regular, pliers some allen wrenches a cheap socket set and some of the new type sockets for the star head screws. Winnebagos are build well but some things still come loose. Good luck and remember have fun. Also remember that you are driving your second home on roads that tear up your car, think what they will do to your home on wheels.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 and the iRV2 family. For a first trip, the previous posts covered just about everything. Enjoy your coach and post often about the adventures you will have.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #12

Thanks for the welcome and advise, all. I had the coach out this weekend, and 3 friends turned it into a movie theater. We rented a movie, got popcorn, snacks, and drinks, and parked in a local park, put out the slide, fired up the genset and A/C, and enjoyed ourselves.

I threw the leveling blocks I had from my pop-up into the Winnie. $4k for hydraulic levelers will probably happen.

I made a few sharp cuts and a panic stop. Not as good as my Subaru, but a little better than expected. I did play Billy Big Rig for a year, so I am very comfortable with this thing, it is fun to dash around town in on a weekend! Love the back-up camera.

Found a laundry hamper that fits the closet perfectly, and matching colors. I need something to carry basic tools in, though. Things are coming together, and as someone said, there are plenty of stores a short distance for where we will be camping. I'll post a report, and a link to pictures.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #13

Welcome neighbor! Just got back from Natural Springs Resort (off 70 on Indiana border).
I have been to Lewis RV many times myself for parts and accessories. The state parks around here are nice as well. I do ALOT of camping at Caesars Creek. Maybe we will cross paths some day. Enjoy your new rig!

Dan
Old 08-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Luck your going to have lots of fun. We picked up our Itasca 38T from Lewis last May they were easy to work with. In addition to all the other great advice here is my 2 cents.
Flashlight and a rechargeable Spolight 1 million candle power or better. We do alot of weekend trips with the kids and leave late after work and school are over. Always arrive in the dark the spotlight makes it easy to look over your spot prior to pulling in.

Trailer Life or similiar camping directory

Motor Carriers' Road Atlas you can pick it up at any truck stop. It will let you know where the low clearances are.

Electrical tape and duct tape.

Have fun. We have had a blast over the last year and are planning a 3 month lower 48 trip next year.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote