RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
OP said :

"The other thing is the heat. With two furnaces, propane and a big diesel generator I can't believe the answer is boots and blankets. Am I missing something?"

LOL...yes. My wife. She likes it cold in the front when we're on the road.

Happy wife, happy life.
Agree 100% Arch hence the effort to keep it toasty... Appreciate your help.

Mysafeharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysafeharbor View Post
Agree 100% Arch hence the effort to keep it toasty... Appreciate your help.
For any other Newbies reading this thread, I have taken the advice provided so far and scaled back my time table dramatically. I just found an app called RV Parky and it really helped me get the concept of planing an itinerary with the idea that I may need to go to plan "B" at anytime. I feel much more comfortable now knowing I will be good on overpass height, can find places to stay with photos and lots of recent reviews and know where the next fuel and propane stop is. My two days has turned into four and I feel a huge sense of relieve. Thanks again everyone.
One last question: No one answered if I put the jacks down when we stay at a walmart, cracker barrel or rest stop?

Old 12-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
JMHO

Iíd think twice about having a full water tank. You need to anticipate freezing weather, and unless you have a line that circulates warm engine water around the tank as we have in our Triple E, Iíd worry about freezing a full tank of water with the inevitable expansion of same due to ice development. Conserve water as much as possible, using a 5 gallon plastic water tank and hand pump for cooking, coffee, drinking etc.
We donít have that much experience travelling in really cold weather but common sense dictates that we might get caught in a storm and waylaid, thereby increasing the chances of freezing problems in the water system(s). Iíd be tempted to add some plumbing antifreeze to the system, especially the grey and black water tanks, just in case. If peeing, keep your water pump off when flushing and just do a gravity flush until warmer weather 40 degrees or so.

As well, 250-300 miles is lots in a day. You donít want to be setting up in the dark at this time of year.

One thing that I do, and some may react negatively to this, is to find my spot in the windshield on the driverís lower left that lines up with the road lines when entering tight spaces. We use the reflection of one of the dashís defroster vents (we have a circular one) and this tells me that Iím a foot off the centre line and I also double check my lane position in the right mirror periodically when using this method to confirm that Iím not too close to the road edge.

Having said that, drive down the highway looking at least 100 yards ahead. This helps one to anticipate traffic stops or obstructions, bumps etc. Being up high, Iím always looking for the brake lights of several vehicles ahead.

Take your time, try not to get flabbergasted or stressed, rest every 2 hours or so for 15 minutes at a pullout area or rest stop. Then you are refocused and ready. Make sure that your passenger/partner is an active participant in the journey as navigator, cell phone answerer, music changer and gps expert. The more that he/she does this, the safer and less stressed youíll all be.

We use RV trip wizard to plan our next dayís drive and we often write down in our logbook important intersections, fuel stops, overpasses etc. Know the height of your vehicle and have your navigator memorize it and pay extra attention when approaching an overpass.

Lastly, scout out your entry and exit strategies well before entering a fueling station. This may mean slowing down quite a bit, paying extra attention to signage. As you are not towing, itís not quite as important ass when you are towing (weíre 57 feet with the CRV), but itís a good habit to develop.

Safe journeys!

Cheers

DJ
Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
There are differing opinions regarding jacks on overnight stops. I have seen jacks damage asphalt parking lots, so I believe it is abusing hospitality and I am firmly against using them at “free” overnight stops.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #19

Couple of random driving tips; look where you want to go, not where you donít want to go. Helps when driving in narrow spots as the natural tendency is to steer where you are looking. Since you have towed a pop-up you probably know to not turn until your rear wheels are clear. Watch out for your rear overhang, it swings wider than the cab. At gas pumps turn out towards the side the pump is on, if possible, to avoid the rear overhang and the pump/guard post having a meeting.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1st Time, All In, a Lot Nervous

I never put jacks down in rest areas or truck stops unless it is really unlevel. Most places are level enough for the night.

You probably already know this, but watch your convex lower mirror on all turns. My first day, after bring it home I scraped the low iron guard - actually sign attached to it as I approached the pump. All was clear in the upper mirror. I did not know about using the lower. Happy trails.

Something I learned from watching professional truck drivers for forty-five years - when maneuvering in parking lots gas stations etc. - slow and sure is better than playing cowboy and bruising the vehicle and the ego.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #21

Hello Everyone,
Thanks again for all the great insight. No jacks, using the convex mirrors, carry some RV antifreeze just in case and turn towards the pump is all awesome advice. If anyone has time to address: can I run my generator all day while running down the highway. I do that in my boat so would assume it is the same. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Thanks again for all the great insight. No jacks, using the convex mirrors, carry some RV antifreeze just in case and turn towards the pump is all awesome advice. If anyone has time to address: can I run my generator all day while running down the highway. I do that in my boat so would assume it is the same. Thanks.
Jacks are a matter of how level your temporary stopping spot is. Some RVers see deploying them in "free" situations as crass or ill mannered. If you've got permission to park (like at Walmart or Cracker Barrel) then use your jacks, but be a sport and put some plywood pads between the pavement and the jack feet. Helpful hit - put a pull cord (sash cord or thin rope) on each plywood pad so you don't have to get under your coach to remove them.

Some RVers think it's a bad idea to run your generator when "Wally-docking". Pish, I say, if you've got permission to be there. The primary reason to not use the genny or deploy leveling jacks is to "stealth camp" where the idea is nobody knows the vehicle is occupied (or is even an RV/camper) or that you may need to make a speedy exit.

Good to see you've reigned in the first day mileage goal. My first day of long driving wasn't the effortless trip I'd anticipated but it wasn't as bad as some folks experience, so YMMV. That said, 300 miles is a good first day drive for a new owner. Start early, stop when you feel the need, and you do a walk around inspection of your RV and any accessories (towing, antennas, steps, etc) attached to it before continuing your journey.

Good luck with your trip, I hope you enjoy many safe and memorable miles. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can run your generator all day on the road. We do it when it's very hot to run our air conditioner.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You can run your generator all day on the road. We do it when it's very hot to run our air conditioner.
A big advantage in doing this is, when you finally reach your destination, your coach will already be at your desired temperature. Especially with air conditioning, overcoming the initial heat load takes forever if you don't start until your parked. The extra fuel consumption is minimal. Just remember to turn it off at gas stations.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:01 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to IRV2 Forum,

If the two MENU's are a little confusing at first while in the forum, just click on the top right HOME as this will show you a more basic menu before jumping in completely.

In this new forum, your questions about your Recreational Vehicle "RV" will be answered. Take some time to complete your USER CP as this will help members learn more about you to interact online with you. Above you will see two MENU's, on the top is the forum and what is provided for your enjoyment. The Next or second-line MENU is your member's MENU Here you have access to a lot for yourself even a BLOG.

So again welcome as we enjoy your JOINING US and exploring the world through an RV Window or rearview mirror.

Happy Safe Travels to you, Family and or Friends. This group is now even better, that you are here. WELCOME to IRV2 Tell your RV friends to JOIN US.

While only a member like yourself, I'm called.
DogMan
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hello Everyone,
WOW - - - - talk about information overload....LOL!!!

Now - - all I ask is you give us a trip report once you've reached your destination - let us know what worked and what didn't.....and how the trip went overall....

Good luck, be safe,

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #27

Thanks Everyone,
I will be sure to post my progress.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #28

Progress Report

Hello Everyone,
Happy holidays. I started the trip with temps in the mid thirties and ran the furnace and fridge on LP. We drove seven hours the first day, 10 hours the second and about six hours the last day. We stayed at a Cabela's and a Cracker Barrel. The trip was great, mountains were smooth and the only issue we had was we started overheating the last thirty miles. I slowed down to fifty to keep it in normal range. Fluids are full so I'm not sure. I'm going to try to find a mobile mechanic I guess. Thank you again for all the advice.