Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

1st. time drive class A

Drove the 36' HR yesterday and boy was I shocked. I couldn't believe the swaying moving slow in driveway, feel top heavy. I can't compair with other Coaches because I haven't drove any. Owner said shocks were up graded and safe steer on front end. Take it slow not over 65 for me.

GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Howdy Goldenbear,

In ym personal option over all the years but the taller u sit u in the a coach or Truck the more you are open to the wind. When my husband drives the our coach we get the same thing but running down the road. One guy recommended to me to put a wind gaurd on the top of my coach. another one said to put wind break system on the roof. Not sur ewhat the differences are but my husband is looking into them. I have noticed no matter what speed my husband drives the coach at there is always that wind problem jus tthe faster he goes the harder it is. My husband has not past 80 Mph in it he said thats his limit but at 70 72 Mph he handles it just fine. well keep us posted

travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
Howdy Goldenbear,

In ym personal option over all the years but the taller u sit u in the a coach or Truck the more you are open to the wind. When my husband drives the our coach we get the same thing but running down the road. One guy recommended to me to put a wind gaurd on the top of my coach. another one said to put wind break system on the roof. Not sur ewhat the differences are but my husband is looking into them. I have noticed no matter what speed my husband drives the coach at there is always that wind problem jus tthe faster he goes the harder it is. My husband has not past 80 Mph in it he said thats his limit but at 70 72 Mph he handles it just fine. well keep us posted
in my opinion 80 is way to fast on my unit a gasser i keep it at about 65 tops
higher than that it just makes me a bit edgy hope your tires are new and brakes good be carefull out there
brianj
Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I dunno.. I drove a couple that have swayed ALOT. Felt like I was getting sea sick (and I'm Navy ). My current one is like night and day being rock solid.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome GoldenBear,
Drive slow enough to enjoy the scenery as you go by.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas motorhomes sway much more than diesels due to the longer overhang, Just the nature of the beast. If it rides like a baby buggy, it will handle like a baby buggy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

Hang in there, it'll become more comfortable as you use it. I honestly think it took me a dozen trips before I settled in.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Gas motorhomes sway much more than diesels due to the longer overhang, Just the nature of the beast. If it rides like a baby buggy, it will handle like a baby buggy.
Mines steady as a rock... It was the DP's I test drove that made sick
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have many state slogans in Texas and the one that comes to me after reading some of these posts...."Speed Kills" and another "Drive Friendly".
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Mines steady as a rock... It was the DP's I test drove that made sick
Oooops !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #11

Hi Golden Bear
I have a 33' Winebago voyage after driving a Class C 30' motor home for many years and getting used to its sway, and now driving the class A it is different and took a while to get used to,but now having learned to relax and resting my elbows on the arm rest I find that the sway is redused as I'm not over compensating and because I'm resting my arms my own body sway doesn't add to it. Hope this helps it will get better.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
in my opinion 80 is way to fast on my unit a gasser i keep it at about 65 tops
higher than that it just makes me a bit edgy hope your tires are new and brakes good be carefull out there
brianj
80 is too fast on ANY coach... and I realize that nobody suggested that they were actually DRIVING that fast but we can't have too many reminders. It is disconcerting how often I'll see a large rig in my mirror while I'm traveling around 65mph and just watch how fast it grows larger and larger in the mirror and then blows by me.... often times towing a Hummer!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
Howdy Goldenbear,

My husband has not past 80 Mph in it he said thats his limit but at 70 72 Mph he handles it just fine. well keep us posted
Scary ain't it Rick?

I still vividly remember meeting a man at the Fleetwood rally in Gillette, WY that had passed me driving his Revolution and towing a 3/4 ton Chevy PU. We actually were parked next to each other at the rally. I asked if he realized he had cut me off pulling back over and that he did the same to the next car he passed...he didn't have a clue. He was on oxygen, couldn't hear very well and told me straight out that he drove ten miles per hour over the speed limit.

I've often wondered if he is still out there driving like a-well fill in the blank.

I hope we all consider others safety even if we don't care about ours or our family's.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi Golden Bear
I have a 33' Winebago voyage after driving a Class C 30' motor home for many years and getting used to its sway, and now driving the class A it is different and took a while to get used to,but now having learned to relax and resting my elbows on the arm rest I find that the sway is redused as I'm not over compensating and because I'm resting my arms my own body sway doesn't add to it. Hope this helps it will get better.

What your saying is true. I remember riding my motorcycle after a 30 year lay off (not same bike) and my fingers would start cramping in the first mile. After a few trips I learned to relax and all the discomford in hand left. yell 65 MPH is going to be my limit the man I purchested it from said he found the best gas mileage was at 65 for this coach.

GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote