Originally Posted by ABLongbow
Hi, My name is Andrew and wife is Annette. We are going to retire in a few years and plan on buying a 5th wheel trailer. We would like to see are beautiful country up close and personal. I think we have a lot to learn so I am starting now. I would appreciate all the help we get. Thank you all.
Welcome Andrew & Annette,
You have lots of research to do! Your first homework assignment, is to make some personal decisions about how you see yourself using/traveling in this RV. This will evolve over time but you need a starting point. I.e.
1. Many long weekends or short trips.
2. Couple of multi week trips in the mix.
3. Seasonal travel in the winter or summer months
4. Half timers
5. Full timers
These questions when answered will help you with vehicle selection.
What type of travel/camping do you see yourselves doing?
1. Mostly state/national parks.
2. Mostly where full hookups are available.
3. Some boondocking/dry camping.
4. Travel a day or two with a specific destination in mind & stay there days/weeks/months
5. Lots of 2-300 miles days staying a few days in between.
All these questions will help you start on a search. Anything you choose to travel in can do any of the above, but if you identify your most obvious needs and wishes early in the process, it will help you to not make an expensive mistake.
While you are doing the homework, go to big RV shows like Hershey & Tampa Super Show. Go to big dealerships with lots of inventory like Lazy Days. Early in your research, don't rule anything out. Keep an open mind and walk through lots of units. You will slowly be able to narrow your search.
The search both soul and vehicle is fun and you will learn lots.
Full time since '07