Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #1

2 years visiting the states

My wife Micheline and l are french and retired since 5 years, we forecast a 2 years journey in the States,Mexico and Canada. We want to buy a Winnebago RV Class After approximately 15.000 miles, we want to resale the RV. We have a good experiment of RV in Europe but none in the States, your advices and help will be very appreciated.

QUESTIONS
Is it better to buy a new RV or a second hand one? We forecast approx 300.000 $ for the RV.
After our 2 years journey what would be the percentage of depreciation? Of course we would maintain the vehicle in very good conditions.
What is the average night cost of parking lot area fitted out for our RV in the States ?
What is the average maintenance cost of that type of vehicle?
What is the insurance cost for that type of RV? Could you recommend a reliable insurance company?

We have a lot more questions but for the moment we need to have an estimate idea of the necessary budget for our project.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Micheline & Alain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, I can't answer all your questions but each person want's different things out of there RV and not knowing what you desire makes it hard to say what's best for you. I suggest you read and keep asking questions. New or old RV's can have issues, new, perhaps less, but a well maintained older one could be trouble free. Good luck in your search and have a great time. Safe travels.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malain View Post
My wife Micheline and l are french and retired since 5 years, we forecast a 2 years journey in the States,Mexico and Canada. We want to buy a Winnebago RV Class After approximately 15.000 miles, we want to resale the RV. We have a good experiment of RV in Europe but none in the States, your advices and help will be very appreciated.

QUESTIONS
Is it better to buy a new RV or a second hand one? We forecast approx 300.000 $ for the RV.
After our 2 years journey what would be the percentage of depreciation? Of course we would maintain the vehicle in very good conditions.
What is the average night cost of parking lot area fitted out for our RV in the States ?
What is the average maintenance cost of that type of vehicle?
What is the insurance cost for that type of RV? Could you recommend a reliable insurance company?

We have a lot more questions but for the moment we need to have an estimate idea of the necessary budget for our project.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Micheline & Alain
What a great adventure! Good for you!

Were it me, I would buy a used unit. Especially since you do not plan to keep it for a long period of time. New RV's depreciated a great deal the instant you drive away from the dealer. Depreciation spread over a longer period reduces the amount per unit of time - year, month, etc.

Here's a link to a pricing guide that can be used to run "what if" scenarios. The actual price for a given specimen may or may not reflect the price found in the real world but they do give you an idea of how one model compares to another and the rate of depreciation over time.

I plugged in my zip (postal) code and Winnebago.

Vehicle price estimator

The actual price of a new RV will greatly depend on the dealer's situation. Things like dealer's inventory, time of year, how long it's been sitting there, etc. At a dealer the price is usually negotiable over a substantial range.

Price of a used RV will be driven by age and condition.

Maintenance varies a great deal. Depends on what needs attention and where it's done. An oil change on a diesel motor home can vary from $200 to $400 depending on the shop. Some shops that service large diesel vehicles (over the road trucks) don't like to work on motor homes. An "extended warranty" or service contract might be a good thing for you to consider.

Campground fees also vary widely. Those operated by the various levels of government (federal, state, local) are usually cheaper, as low as $20 per night and commercial campgrounds are about twice that on average. Certain locations, Washington, DC, for example, can be $80 or more. Obviously, resort-style places will command a higher price than a simple utilitarian campground.

I use Safeco insurance and have been very satisfied with their prices and service. I do not know if it's available for purchase in every state but it should cover you in all of the original 48 states once purchased. I don't know if they offer coverage outside of the USA. Insurance can be a tricky thing when you go into Mexico. So make sure you understand the terms of the policy in that regard.

You've come to a good place to get a lot of information. As you narrow down to more specific questions you will get a lot of information here. There are several forums here that are dedicated to specific areas of RV'ing. Go to the Winnebago forum to ask questions about that brand, for example.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always keep in mind that you do not always have to stay in a CG. Over the last year I have met two different individuals who came from NZ, toured the states for 6 months and went back home.

The first was a single guy. He arrived in Miami, FL and bought a small 20' used RV. He traveled the lower area of the U.S. in the Spring and as it got warmer he headed more north. He was going to put about 7,000 miles during the spring summer and early fall. Then back home after he sold the RV back in FL. He told me he would often spend the night in a truck stop or a Wal-Mart parking lot.

The second is a couple who regularly come to the US. They bought a WBGO new and keep it here for the 6 months they are back home. They've been all over the US. Often they will spend the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Many do that. It is free. No hook-ups just a place to spend the night. They usually shop while there because they need some things. That would only be fair.

You will have options. We don't usually spend a night at Wal-Mart but have when necessary. Some think it's unfair to the commercial CG's. On the other hand why don't some CG's just offer a place to park so a traveler who wants to just sleep can do it safely.

I just remembered this story. Last year I met a gentleman from Germany. He seemed very alone at the CG in Pensacola, FL so I went over and we talked. He was a Luthern Deacon. He came to the states and landed in Chicago. He's delivering a 24' RV to Miami, FL. For his delivery fee he got to drive the RV from IL to FL. He stopped when he wanted to. Met some friends along the way. After he delivered the RV he headed back to Germany. Nice guy and he was having a good trip and seeing parts of the US. Just a different way of having a vacation.

Good luck on your adventure.

TeJay
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Micheline & Alain! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope your adventure goes well!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Happy Trails!!

On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #9

thank you very much for your help, we have still some difficulties using the forum
We will have more detailed questions about buying a used WBGO.
thank's to all