Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

2006 Newmar gauges will not work

I had a guy change my cranking batteries, I heard the horn honk and the windshield washer started spraying. I thought it was the security resetting from the battery disconnect. It wasn't, he had a ground wire on top of a hot terminal. I pulled it loose and attached to the ground. Now my horn and gauges do not work and the dash lights will not go off. The wire that was grounded out is a 20 amp fuse in the battery compartment. I have checked the 4 fuse links in the battery compartment and all of the fuses outside under the driver's seat. I found 2 blown fuses one was a 15 amp attached to wall it was an inline fuse and the other was labeled smart wheel. Are there some fuses under dash etc. or could this be relay. I also noticed there are some diode's that look like fuse could the be bad?

Is there another fuse panel I am missing. Newmar reffered me to Spartan. He wasn't much help.sent a wire schmatics that is not much help. and says it much be something toasted, I dont disagree but what controls this?
cheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I cannot help with the problem.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
No sure what model of Newmar you have, might help to included that info. On my built in 2007 Ventana there is more fuses and relays behind the plastic panel in the bay that holds the electric power cord and transfer switch. The plastic panel is just velcro'd in place pull it off and it will expose them. Dont remember what all is fused back there, remember the electric entry step is one.

When you are talking gauges exactly what gauges are you talking about?
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, Cheno
Placing the negative battery cable on the positive post is your result.
When the person that purchased my coach had a chassis battery replaced the installer placed the negative cable on positive post to connect it permanently which burnt out control boards under dash and interior fire wall, caused the bottom of LR slide to move out because it was locked, rear camera control burn out and numerous fuses blown.
This link will show you where all your fuses will be located some may need the compartment materiel to be lifted back off Velcro flap, like in your power bay or water bay.
The link comes from this link on your battery charging systems and maybe pictures of equipment locations. This link will have many diagrams you need that may have fuses within them.
All these links come from this sticky covering many items in your coach.
Many of your fuses and controls which maybe burnt out maybe in a compartment accessed outside under your drivers seat location..
You didn't say where your coach is or if it was started and moved home or what ever, the process in finding everything wrong will take some time and some of the problems may not show up at this time, you need to get coach to a Newmar dealer who has experiance with this type problem.
In the second link I gave you there are some pictures of locations such as the main 12v fuse compartment I mentioned and maybe someone 2006 owner will add pictures for you of locations of defective items you have now.
Its going to be a slow process to find everything in your loaded coach.
When you have time please fill out your coach information in your signature..
Brochure ---- Owners Guide
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #6

Found it!!

The information screen on the dash has a pkug behing it, that was melted. I was able to pull it apart and get it were it will work. The only problem now is the horn does not work, I have changed the horn relay and fuse. There must be selenoid some where that I am missing. Any help with that
Old 11-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
By using search's you see top of forum page you can ask questions for a problem you may have but will also get other coach's other than a Newmar coach. This is a search from that search.
In the large link I gave you there is a Newmar search engine for Newmar problems, here is a search from that location. There is a direct link to the Newmar search just scroll down to Newmar forum input slot.
You can use what you want but Newmar search may get you better answers in your case.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #8

2006 Essex horn does not work

I had a direct ground from battery to electrical system. The gauges and horn quit working. I found a melted plug behind the dash going to the information screen. I have the gauges working again but still have no horn city horn nor air horn. I have checked the fuse and relay under driver seat. Any suggestions as were to go next. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You already posted question please post in the original thread thank you.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Essex information, please post in your original thread which has been merged.

Tags
gauges, newmar