Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2012 Newmar BayStar on order

I ordered a 2012 Newmar BayStar 2901 on Wednesday 10-19-11 at the Pomona RVIA show after 2 years of looking for a 30' Boondocking RV to replace my 2005 GulfStream Vista Cruiser MB Edition. After spending 4 months in Alaska in 2009 in the Sprinter Class B I thought that at 70 I wanted less touring and more space for relaxing during longer stays while camping in the woods; even if I got 7 MPG vs the Sprinter's 22 MPG .

Last Friday, 10-14-11 was Newmar day and I examined all the RVs Sky River Rv had on display and talked to the Newmar Rep. I test drove a 2901 on the 20,500 chassis and liked it's pep, handling, turning capability, 3" walls with high R values, and fit and finish. I brought the Sprinters NADA report, color pictures, and a detailed list of the $29,800 in improvements I had made over the past 5 years. I was offered a bargain price on the BayStar and good price for the trade in and liked the way I was treated.

On Monday and Tuesday I repeated the process for the Itasca Sunova 30A and Tiffin Allegro 30GA but they were both longer than the Newmar Sunstar 2901, and lacked it's turning radius. The Sunstar's 19.5" wheels had a 50 degree wheel cut and the others were 42 degrees and were not as nimble. They all had verbally agreed with 25% off the new and $33K for my trade.

The dealer test began on Wednesday. The Itasca and Tiffin dealers tried to raise their price and give less for my Sprinter trade. I was disgusted with what seemed to me like sleazy behavior and rejected both. The Newmar salesman and manager were honest with me, and did not exhibit the sleazy greed I witnessed else where. The Newmar Rep. at the show said the Newmar factory would add some customization which the others would not consider. I decided to buy the superior Newmar BayStar 2901 which has about the same CCC but weighs 1,500# less which may give better MPG.

I think Newmar is aiding Sky River RV in setting up a great operation in California and their desire for success made them want to give a good deal, satisfy a new customer, and not view me as prey to squeeze for maximum profit. I would recommend them for the terrific Newmar RVs and good professional behavior.

Now the tedious wait begins for my more comfortable boondocking RV and the upgrades I am planing for it.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to IRV2.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome! Enjoy your new rig!

Pat
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Newmar is a good choice. You will like the customer service. We do.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Congratulation on your purchase. We truly enjoy our Newmar.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was touring the factory on Friday October 21st-- they had several BayStar's in production and on the pre-delivery line. Obviously a good seller for Newmar. Congrat's on the new rig!!

Mike
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I ordered a 2012 Newmar BayStar 2901 on Wednesday 10-19-11 at the Pomona RVIA show after 2 years of looking for a 30' Boondocking RV to replace my 2005 GulfStream Vista Cruiser MB Edition. After spending 4 months in Alaska in 2009 in the Sprinter Class B I thought that at 70 I wanted less touring and more space for relaxing during longer stays while camping in the woods; even if I got 7 MPG vs the Sprinter's 22 MPG .

Last Friday, 10-14-11 was Newmar day and I examined all the RVs Sky River Rv had on display and talked to the Newmar Rep. I test drove a 2901 on the 20,500 chassis and liked it's pep, handling, turning capability, 3" walls with high R values, and fit and finish. I brought the Sprinters NADA report, color pictures, and a detailed list of the $29,800 in improvements I had made over the past 5 years. I was offered a bargain price on the BayStar and good price for the trade in and liked the way I was treated.

On Monday and Tuesday I repeated the process for the Itasca Sunova 30A and Tiffin Allegro 30GA but they were both longer than the Newmar Sunstar 2901, and lacked it's turning radius. The Sunstar's 19.5" wheels had a 50 degree wheel cut and the others were 42 degrees and were not as nimble. They all had verbally agreed with 25% off the new and $33K for my trade.

The dealer test began on Wednesday. The Itasca and Tiffin dealers tried to raise their price and give less for my Sprinter trade. I was disgusted with what seemed to me like sleazy behavior and rejected both. The Newmar salesman and manager were honest with me, and did not exhibit the sleazy greed I witnessed else where. The Newmar Rep. at the show said the Newmar factory would add some customization which the others would not consider. I decided to buy the superior Newmar BayStar 2901 which has about the same CCC but weighs 1,500# less which may give better MPG.

I think Newmar is aiding Sky River RV in setting up a great operation in California and their desire for success made them want to give a good deal, satisfy a new customer, and not view me as prey to squeeze for maximum profit. I would recommend them for the terrific Newmar RVs and good professional behavior.

Now the tedious wait begins for my more comfortable boondocking RV and the upgrades I am planing for it.

And:
You've given us a lot of tantalizing details- I'll ask The Big Question
(It'd be nice for us other shoppers to know the lay of the land...)
Can you tell us how much you're paying for the rig, or are you sworn to secrecy?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #8

Congrats on the Newmar, one of the best Rv's on the road. One point though on the turning radius. Shorter wheelbase will give a shorter turn radius. Rule of thumb is you want your WB to be at least 58% in length to the overall length of the rig for safety in handling emergency manuevers. 29ft rv =348inchs, 58%=202inchs appx. This I learned researching my class A 5 years ago. FYI for what its worth.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome and congrats.. We just picked up a 2012 Canyon Star 3920 and were loving it.. We just took it to the track for the first time and boy is it nice to get out from under the tent that i've been useing for the last couple of years and get into the A/C..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	15025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3025.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	15026  

Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

Congrats, make sure you take them up on the factory changes/adds/deletions you want! We made over 60 when we ordered '07 ME Allstar.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome joes2901 to irv2.
Congratulations on your pick of Newmar and the BAYSTAR 2901 is a good size for down sizing.
Many safe and happy miles for you.
Here is a Owners Guide for you so you will be ready to go.
If you have any questions come down and join us in the Newmar Forum.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pomona show price

I got 25% off MSRP which was a little better than the posted show price; I guess my trade was desirable to the dealership.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #13

You will be very happy with Newmar and the Baystar
We have a Canyon Star and love it
We meet the owners of Newmar they are great down to earth people that care about there product that is our 2011 Newmar in picture the other picture is the Owners and VP of Newmar and my wife and I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06921.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	15039   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07272.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	15040  

Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I got 25% off MSRP which was a little better than the posted show price; I guess my trade was desirable to the dealership.
Wow-
Good for you!
I'd like to have you on my "negotiating team" when the time comes...

Happy travels!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar

« Hello | new member »