Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #1

Looking for others who are using or know of anyone using 3000 to 5000 watt power inverter coupled with solar panel system? Not sure if it would be worth the time and $$ investment. Pros: quiet, zero maintenance, costs less than generator

Cons: Is it really going to give the results we need running furnace/air conditioner
samendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Looking for others who are using or know of anyone using 3000 to 5000 watt power inverter coupled with solar panel system? Not sure if it would be worth the time and $$ investment. Pros: quiet, zero maintenance, costs less than generator

Cons: Is it really going to give the results we need running furnace/air conditioner
samendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #3

samendoza -- Welcome to iRV2 !

Your inquiry might get better response in the special section on RV Systems / Appliances.

One thing that struck me about your post was the size of the inverter you are considering: 3 to 5 Thousand Watts ??
I believe most RV inverters are in the 500 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000 (upper end) range.
Where will you carry enough batteries to support such a load? I believe most RV inverters are in the 500 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000 (upper end) range.
To generate that much wattage, I would guess the surface area of the solar panels would be about that of a full-size house roof.

There are several threads (discussions) about solar and batteries already containing a lot of information and some very good links to sites about solar + batteries. Try using the "Find" button at the top of the discussion display.

Running the furnace (that uses propane for the actual heat) is no problem with solar re-charged batteries. However, the air-conditioning is generally out of the question (my opinion).

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #4

Welcome sameddoza to the IRV2 website, I cannot anwser your question but maybe one of our other members can. Ed
Old 01-10-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and Welcome to IRV2 ;

As you see you will get answers to your question. As this is the welcome area I moved your Question to IRV2 General Discussion So it can be seen by more members. Please leave this area for welcomes. Again we Welcome you to the site and look forward to seeing what you decide to get.