Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

Cool A message for all from the Motorhomeless!

Okay, so Im glad I could join now, but my lovely spouse (Sue) and I are motorhomeless. I have retired, but Sue may have to work for a couple of more years. We have been kicking around the idea of going full-time for the past twenty years and now have decided to do so when she can leave work.

We are hoping to use irv2.com to assist us in deciding on the right motorhome, or coach as one of my ex-workmates calls his Alfa Gold, to live in with our two dogs (Pug & annoying Min Pin). Leaning towards either a new Tiffin Phaeton or Itasca Meridian right now, we are also trying to decide between a 40 and 42 foot. No matter which, it will be an adventure as I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A MOTORHOME IN MY LIFE. I am counting on vehicle insurance to help out with that department.

Anyway, enough of this long post. I am anticipating an enjoyable visit each time I log on to irv2.com. Thanks, Clancy

Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

Forgot to add that we will more than likely be flat towing a late model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 V8. Necessary as we need something to tow our 24' Bennington pontoon boat in, out, and around the Colorado River during our visits to the desert.

Just throwing it all out there in case anyone wishes to put their two cents in to help with out decision making.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever owned or used an RV of any sort?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and welcome to the forum. Wow you have alot to look forward too and a few decisions to make. The good thing is that you have time to really assess your needs. I'm sure you'll get plenty of info from the site.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Clancy & Sue! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure happy to have you join the group! Good luck on your search for the right MH! Have fun and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and welcome to IRV2. Searching for the MH that fits your likes and needs is the fun part. We bought our first MH a couple years before we retired so we could go on weekend trips and some weeklong trips. We were able to decide if we really wanted to fulltime and also learn how to operate the MH. There is alot to learn and the folks here will be ready to assist you when you are ready. Also of importance is your floorplan. It will be your home 24/7, so you want the set up that you will like. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! About five years ago we were in your boat. Never owned any kind of RV. Never driven anything bigger than an SUV towing a ski boat. Recently retired.

We bought a new Itasca Ellipse 40FD... hooked our Grand Cherokee to the back of it and hit the road full time.

With the help of folks here on this forum, I learned what I needed to know and all has been well.

I think the biggest pro in choosing a 42 over a 40 is that it often times comes with the bath and a half option which is very nice. The tag axle also makes handling much better but also gives you two new tires to buy every 7 years or so.

My advice would be to buy used. It's the one thing I kind of regret about how we went about getting started.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Clancy I recommend that you visit some place like Lazy Days in Tampa in the interim months and consider their MH driving school. I had been driving MHs for years and took the class and surprisingly learned a few things.

My wife had never driven one and subsequently drives our 40 foot like a pro. For her I think it was as much a confidence builder as driver's training.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Clancy and welcome. Congrats on your retirement. Perhaps you should begin renting a few different mohos and go on a few short trips to try to figure out what you want/need in a rig. Have fun.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Hi Clancy & Sue,

Welcome to IRV2. Congrats on your decision to enter the RVing world. Like others I would recommend you visit a few RV dealers and get an idea of layout, etc. that you're happy with. I would also strongly suggest, like others, you consider a used unit, say 2 or more years old. Typically the depreciation the first couple of years is considerable, and if there are bugs in the manufacture, they are usually fixed by that time. As to 40-42 feet, there isn't a lot of difference in driving. The tag axle makes the coach a bit more stable, but the extra length requires more manipulation when getting into some park sites. We drive a 39' and, for us, have no problems either driving or parking the coach. I also agree with a previous poster that purchasing one now and making weekend trips will greatly increase your knowledge of the coach and how much y'all enjoy the life style.

Good luck

Jim and Lynda
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Arch, had a F350 Crew Cab and camper set up in the 80s. Took it cross-country and had a great time. RV experience is limited to that and trailers we owned while camping at Needles Marina RV Park at the Colorado River with our various boats for the past 35 years. However, I have always left the trailers in the RV Parks storage. Have many years experience of towing boats from 19 bubble decks to our 25.5 Hallett and now a 24 Bennington pontoon. We ditched the trailer and bought a single-wide at the 55+ mobile home park within the RV Park.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #13

RickO, will probably buy new. We will be selling the stick house and this motorhome will be our "home" and tax write-off for as long as we can stand it. Could be up to 10 years or so. Maybe more. Just don't know.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #14

Dadeaux (nice moniker), Thanks. Wife and I are planning to take an RV driving course from an outfit that comes to Palmdale, CA, which is about 25 minutes from our house.