Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
A New England RV Newbie

Good evening ladies and gentleman.

I am about to be a soon to be newbie RVer (hope to have it by the end of the week) and was searching the net for info to study and found this forum. Trying to read everything I can get my hands on in an attempt to learn everything I can about the wondrous world of RV traveling.
I will be retiring in December and getting an RV and traveling to all 49 states in our beautiful country has been my dream since I was 18. IT"S GONNA HAPPEN!

I know you’re going to think I am nuts but I just agreed to buy a 2001 Gulfstream Ultra Sport 24' from eBay sight unseen. I know I am scared to death but it looked brand new so I took a chance. Seems to be exactly what I need except a backup camera and a carrier for the mobility scooter and the smoker. I never go anywhere with at least one smoker. I am a BBQ and sausage nut and run a website and forum to teach people the ins and outs.

I am very excited about this and scared to death at the same time. I will probably ask questions once I can ask them somewhat intelligently.

Have a great evening!

DeejayDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Debi and welcome! You are one brave soul to buy an RV sight-unseen! Good luck to you!

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Debi, welcome to IRV2. You are probably no different then the rest of us nuts. People said we were crazy to go full time. Maybe so, but we are some happy crazy people. LOL It will all fall into place and you will wonder like the rest of us, why you didn't do it sooner. I hope we can meet up one day. Safe travels, and keep us posted.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Debi! Welcome to IRV2! It's good to have you join the bunch here! Congrats on the new rig! Sure hope it's everything you hoped for! Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the world of RVing. Although not something some would do, buying a unit sight unseen, there are honest people out there, I'm sure you felt good talking to the owner. I hope it is all and more than you hoped for. Safe and trouble free travels with your new rig.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Debbie and welcome to IRV2. Not sure where you are in New England but if you are in Northern VT I know of a great mobile RV service person in the event you need any help. If you are in this area and want to know who he is just PM me and I'll give you the info.
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy Debi and welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy the site. Good luck with the new to you purchase and hope it all works out. Be sure to post some pics when you bring it home.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Welcome aboard! There is a lot of good info here. You don't say what you will be towing with. Regardless, adding weight to the back bumper is risky especially the amount you are talking about. TTs tend to be almost balanced over the axles and adding weight to the back takes weight off the hitch. You need a min. of 10% hitch weight and more is better for handling. If you will be using less than a 3/4T TV it is even more risky. Good luck and have fun with your travels.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Hi Guys and thanks for the warm welcome. First be warned I can't type worth a crap and I am dyslexic so bare with me it all looks right to me!

I LOVE Vermont! Except those black flies that seem to love me. I love making cheese and brewing beer and there's some great little cheese shops and microbrews up there tucked in the hills. Fun to check them out. Also some great old cemetaries up there to scope out.

The bad news is the guys that sold me the RV backed out. Must have got a better offer after we made a deal. I was very disappointed but maybe as they say things happen for a reason. I will have faith that the right one for the right price is still out there waiting for me.

As for the towing. I am not really towing more like carrying. I have a small mobility chair about 80 pounds (36"x18") I need to carry and I will take a small bullet smoker (18"Dx48"H) with me that is about 30 pounds. I was thinking one of those carry racks that plug into the 2x2 hitch would work if it is covered well. They don't look very strong. I was wondering if this was a safe method to use.

Has anyone dealt with a place called Cruise America? I guess they sell rental vehicles from the fleet that are 2006's but 100K miles or so? Any opinions on this method of purchase?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome Deb. I also was on a roller coaster ride getting my RV. Just got it about 1 month ago. It was on and then there was a problem. He had that fixed and then another problem. That was finally fixed and the day we took the 5 hour drive to pick it up there was a mechanic standing next the the RV with a starter motor in his hand. It was almost too much to take. But I just got home from my first camping trip and what a wonderful time I had. Both of my brothers were there and most of the nieces and nephews. Cant wait until my next outing in 2 weeks. Good luck and don't get discouraged. BTW, great forum here.
Steve & Sherrie
2003 National Seabreeze LX
Kliwks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Hi and welcome!!! Jump right in!! The water's wet!!
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Deejaydebi,

Although you are about a month late for the 2012 Northeasters Wicked rally, you can make plans for next year. Rumer has it, it will be in Conn.

Stay tuned and good luck on your "second" RV.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
100K is a lot of miles. I would stay away from rental units. You should do better with a RV dealer or private seller. I would also make sure to get a chance to see and drive the unit before I made an offer.
Once you have your rig there should be carriers available that you can carry that chair.
Start your search by poking around some local rv lots to get some ideas of what looks good and what is available in your price range.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Hi guys and thanks for the tips. Still looking for my rig but I am not in a huge hurry, although am am kind of chewing at the bit and trying not to.

I had a friend check out those rentals with her hubby for me and even though they sound real good something just doesn't feel right - maybe the mileage. Kind of have that wolf in sheeps clothing feel to them. I the mean time I am still reading everything I can find and studying repair guides, hint and tips so I will be better informed when the magic moment strikes.

I have been slowly collecting things I think I will need including First Aid stuff, kitchen gear and misc stuff as it comes on sale. Already have a half dozen bottles of Seafoam and RV antifreeze in the crate. Need to get me another hillbilly washing machine setup. It's been a long time since I went camping and this method always worked well for washing and storing. If you here of anything decent for cheap et me know. Trying to stay under 20K.