Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

A Trip Planning

Hi all,
I would not consider myself a newbie anymore thanks to the help of so many of your responses and honest feed back. And many thanks to a particular couple who took the time to walk me through so much details.

Ok, this is where I stand. After seeing a motor home Class A and discussing with some friends, and after showing me there class A (I am not risking operating one before trying smaller class C). I am for sure starting with Class C as rental is they way to go and my friends agree with me. We know it is bit more expensive per trip but for sure I will learn a lot and the experience of operating and going on a trip using a rental will prepare me for my next step down the line when I am ready to purchase.
I still need some help in selecting a location. I have three young ones age eight to eleven. I will be the only adult with them on my first RV trip. (I hope I have painted enough picture of my anxiety so far).
I am looking for advice from families with young ones, to recommend safe fun camping grounds for some one new in the RV operation.
I want to make sure my kids’ first experience is so pleasant so we can do more trips. I would love to be able to find places within six hours from Los Angeles; I think that will give the kids enough time to enjoy the RV for the first time on the road but not too long to get bored.
My kids are into deep sea fishing, so any place with a lake would be something nice.
Any recommendation for the first trip length? Should I go for a week long one first or just a week end?
I am planning this for summer vacation. Should I be looking into reservations now? What are your most worries when you go camping? Is it safety? I am so concern about safety me being alone with three kids. Have not done that before.
I know I have too many question and do not expect one family would answer all but your feed back on any part would be greatly appreciated.
Any one with a list of things to pack or things not to forget would be great too. I am a list type of guy.
I am trying to spread the pain so I am not leaning on one family for all my questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

I am biased, but I would recommend Central California, Paso Robles area. The drive is not too long, and right now all lakes are full.
At San Antonio and Nacimiento lakes, you have the option of hookups, although you are a little farther from the lake. If you have your own boat, you can shore camp at San Antonio lake. The other lakes nearby get a little windy. There are good campsites at Lopez Lake a little further south of Paso Robles. They also have a water slide operation there, but I don't know when they open for the season. Good Luck, OND

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Goletta area is beautiful. It's 30 + miles north of Santa Barbara area. There are great beaches. If you log into the CA.Gov site you can find several campgrounds in the Goletta area. Reserve now. They fill up fast.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

Tom
While I haven't been there the place mentioned in your other thread looked promissing. I am a bit long to fit there, but you may want to look into it. Do a google for Leo Carillo State Beach. Another place is right close to LAX, Doherty Beach I beleive, we stayed there one time, right on the ocean, and if you kids like to see planes take off, you will get some great views. Going up the coast to Paso Robles will give you some nice views, have driven by never stayed.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #5

My main concerns are;
1- The kidsí safety. This will be my first RV trip with the kids and no other adults. That is why I am not leaning toward any beach front grounds.
2- The camping grounds provide enough activities like playground, arcade room, some ideas. I do not think we will have time for all of that but the assurance of the amenities are there help.
3- Somewhat local, five to six hours drive would be good.
Any family with young kids. What do you do? Better yet what did you do on your first trip and where did you go?
Looking forward for your feedback.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The central coast is nice. Do you want to stay at just one place or travel to different places on the week vacation?
Morro bay has a nice state campground. You could rent the kayaks and paddle around the bay.
Pismo is nice and has state parks and a lot of families stay at pismo coast village. You can rent quads and ride on the sand dunes.
San Simeon is a nice state campground with a nice beach. Deep sea fishing nearby and Hearst castle. You can go up north on the 1 and view the sea lions.
Paso Robles has an Rv park across the street from a water slide.
Yes, you should book early.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Hi OND,
Very nice area I have checked several web sites. Thank you for the recommendation. I am just considering the distance for my first trip.
Tom
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #8

Hi 4FUN,
I will be hones with you, I have spent a lot of time navigating through the state web site, I guess is filled with information to the point it become counter intuitive. For sure I will continue pursuing the site maybe I get lucky.
Tom
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Steve&Dora,
Thanks for the recommendations, I was trying to avoid Ocean front on my first trip, for sure will explore more Paso Robles area.
Tom
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #10

Also, spend a night in your driveway. Make sure that you understand the systems and instructions. Take notes. Try it all out before you get on the road. Find a place to dump your holding tanks and practice. Suit up appropriately! You will make a mistake on your first few tries. We all have!!! OND
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
For a fairly close weekend destination with fishing, you might want to consider Santee Lakes Park. http://www.santeelakes.com/ This is a beautiful park with lots to do. We stay there everytime we're visiting our grandson in San Diego, and he loves to come back and stay in the RV with us.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Try looking at Pismo Coast Village. Playground, arcade, beach is over the dunes (maybe 1/3 of a miles), Pismo pier for fishing. Sites have water, electricity, sewer, and cable. Walking distance to Pismo Beach for shopping, eating out or ? RV park also has rentals of stuff to ride and small miniture golf course.. Reservations are a must as it fills up with families in the summer...I go in the Spring and Fall.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Thanks for the link. Looks kids friendly. This might be the winner.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #14

Hi All,
I must have visted so far more than two dozens of RV camping sites. I am concentrating into the area south of orange county all the way to san diego. I am having hard time finding a camping site with Kids eminities in mind. Is it uncommon to have camping sites geared for kids? Any recommendation highly appreciated.