Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
A Zonie thats a RV Newbie

Hi Irv2 community my wife is retiring in August and we will be buying a used RV to live in for minimum of two years . My questions are endless but the lurking I have done on this forum and others are answering a lot of those questions. But I have three questions to ask right now how many think buying a A class or C class MH with a toad is better than a fifth wheel with a big truck, with the idea of stopping places and using the truck or toad to sight see with, Question two if MH class A or C when priced comparatively the same. Question three which is more reliable Dometic or Norcold brand refrigerator? Any advice will be read but may not be followed.

Ben Wills
JBwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
As with anything - the more people you ask, the more opinions you will end up with! There are people partial to all types of RV's.

We are currently in a Class C, which will be be traded in for a Class A in the next 2 years. For our purposes, the C suited us when our 2 boys and all their friends camped with us. A Class C usually tends to sleep more than an A. Now that they are getting older (21 and 17) they do not want to go as often nor do their jobs and activities allow it.

I prefer the A or C over a trailer because with my fibromyalgia, I need to get up and move often, I cannot sit in one place for extended periods of time. I also can get up to use the restroom or make lunch/dinner while hubby is driving.

Check out floorplans and find one that suits you and check storage - inside and out. Depends on what you are looking for, depends on whether you should get an A or C.

Depending on who will be driving, will that person (or both) be comfortable driving the bigger A or is a C more to the liking? We have a friend who moved up from the C to an A and absolutely hates driving the A, have other friends who have moved up and it has not been a problem.

rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Most of what you're asking for is subjective, but here are a couple of thoughts. A class A will net you more room both in terms of living space and storage. Also, you might already have a toad suitable for the mh (even with some modification that may be necessary). Now, if you you look at this compared to buying a 5th wheel/travel trailer + truck, you will be alot of money ahead. The class C's are an option too but are generally alot smaller in every way. Alot of questions remain as you stated in your post and I'd have more too-in terms of giving you an answer that would be even better, but this is a start. The fridge question is also a little subjective. You've probably noticed that Norcold has gotten alot of bad press lately...just remember that most of it concearns their 4-door models that have failing cooling units. The only fridges I have had are 2-door ones from both Dometic and Norcold- and neither one has given me problems. Now, the size of rv that you get will also generally dictate the type of fridge that's included, and unless you plan on replacing it (big project)- that's what you'll end up with. Hope at least some of this helps.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Each person has their reason to choose one type of RV over the other.

For us, and long term living, if the truck breaks doiwn, the trailer can be towed to a campground and the truck goes to the shop for repairs. If your motorhome has a chassis problem, your house goes to the shop as well.

The dually truck does fine for site seeing and is only one driver train/vehicel to maintain. With a motorhome, you have two drive trains to maintain.

A full time 5er is more liveable in cold weather as it does not have the huge glass cockpit are a with all of the glass that is uninsulated to cold or heat.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello JB, welcome to IRV2. It's all a matter of what works best for you. Good luck with choosing the right rig for you and your wife. Safe travels.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote