Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Alfa Motor Homes

Hello and good day to all:

I have been browsing through various threads and forums where there seems to be a lot of Alfa bashing as well as many discussions about the quality (or lack therof) regarding Alfa and the associated amenities.

I have owned a 2005 Founder Edition for 3 years now and had no issues with mechanical or fit and finish. The coach had 32K miles and showed some wear and tear which is expected from a used vehicle of any kind. Freightliner chassis, Cat C7 and Allison Tranny are bullet proof. Obviously with the proper care and maintenance most if not all chassis' out there will perform as expected. I have put over 20K on it since I bought it and expect to retire next August and go full time for a while. Absolutely no issues with anything worth mentioning. Minor latch and hinge displacement occurances but what the heck, it gets a beating where I drive so a few loose screws here and there is expected.

The coach may not be the "top of the line" some people want but for a new in '05 price of about 165K and a purchase price 70K in 2012, it never was designed to be a Prevost luxury rig. It is the perfect size with no unnecessary frills and the amenities are fully adequate for life on the road for me and the wife. Pulls a Jeep pretty good too!

Any thoughts out there in case we have a future coach buyer looking to buy used, which as a first timer is the way to go IMHO.
McFarlin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

My son has an Alfa also .... bought new in 03 ... they have only had minor issues as well ... like anything else ... when in use .. stuff happens ...
They're getting ready to sell as well ... only because the kids are grown and they have chosen to fly instead of drive ......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Alfa seemed to fall on its sword shortly after the Gold "See Ya" version came out. Not sure why.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post

My son has an Alfa also .... bought new in 03 ... they have only had minor issues as well ... like anything else ... when in use .. stuff happens ...
They're getting ready to sell as well ... only because the kids are grown and they have chosen to fly instead of drive ......

Thanks for the post Hal, My Alfa has been good to me as well. I suppose a guy could get a lemon with most any manufacturer but I have always said that the key to lasting enjoyment is maintenance.
Seems like some people on other forums are more interested in trash talking any other MH EXCEPT the one they own...LOL. This will be my first membership to any forum. Mainly because I see good, honest and considerate people on here.

I look at like this: if ya liked it when ya bought it then keep it maintained and enjoy this beautiful country we live in. Regardless of manufacturer we all share the same roads and making friends along the way is what is important.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Alfa seemed to fall on its sword shortly after the Gold "See Ya" version came out. Not sure why.

Thanks for the reply Frank,

There is a lot of opinions out there on what happened with Alfa and yes they did fall on their own sword as a part of the problem but as far as I can tell they were excellent value and quality until the original owner Johhny Crean, sold out. Lots more to say about that but I figure that the founder of Fleetwood RV (Crean) knew how to make a good one and then founded Alfa Leisure.

Heck if you and I had FL chassis', CAT, Cummins and Allison powertrains to start with I bet we could make a good one too!
Old 08-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
We are currently in the process of purchasing a 2006 40' founders DP. I have read a lot of posts here about the Alfa. Was a bit concerned at first, but reading more I come to the conclusion that the "bones" are good, chassis, engine, transmission. The unit only has about 11,500 miles on it. We not concerned with delamination, if it happens, we will deal with it. I looked closely at the interior (it was renovated, new upholstery, carpet, window trim etc) cabinets closed and latched well, seemed sturdy, has lots of counter space and storage, which was one of my requirements. I have one big problem with the unit though. The refrigirator is elevated off the floor and I am only 5'1" tall, will need a step ladder to reach the top shelves, lol.
Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzque49 View Post
We are currently in the process of purchasing a 2006 40' founders DP. I have read a lot of posts here about the Alfa. Was a bit concerned at first, but reading more I come to the conclusion that the "bones" are good, chassis, engine, transmission. The unit only has about 11,500 miles on it. We not concerned with delamination, if it happens, we will deal with it. I looked closely at the interior (it was renovated, new upholstery, carpet, window trim etc) cabinets closed and latched well, seemed sturdy, has lots of counter space and storage, which was one of my requirements. I have one big problem with the unit though. The refrigirator is elevated off the floor and I am only 5'1" tall, will need a step ladder to reach the top shelves, lol.
Suzeque,

INMHO you will enjoy the Alfa. The wife and I have had ours on some long trips through bad weather, rough roads and hard times but haven't had any issues to speak of. As I said in my earlier post, the minor issues with little things coming loose is to be expected. Love the storage and layout. Less frills and goodies with the Founder editions but we didn't buy it for those. It is pretty enough to get some oohs and aahs and yet is fully functional and super comfortable. The wife and I love it. I am sure you guys will too. Follow your maintenance routines and get to know the inner workings of the beast and you will find that a lot of the work can be done by someone with common sense and patience right in the driveway. Saves thousands when compared to RV Service techs.

Many happy trails to you and enjoy your new to you home!
McFarlin AZ, Alfa FE 36FD, wife and 3 4 legged co pilots