Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #15

Hey all,

just wanted to keep you updated with my recent progress to plan the trip. I came to find that even with a B1 visa I might not get a US drivers license which in return will triple the vehicle insurance costs I'll have to expect.
Furthermore I learned that with a decent sized class A there comes the need for a toad as -due to the distances- a bicycle just won't do it...

So I'm also looking into the class C and class B sectors at the moment. Came to find that the 99 Dodge Explorer vans are quite nice. However I'm not yet sure if I can cope with that really limited amount of space.
Probably I'll no nevertheless travel to the US in March and perhaps start with renting an RV first. Unfortunately the rental costs of 100 to 200USD a day are pretty high, so I'm not sure how long I'll be enjoying spending all that money...
I know that at first I'd have to spend much more for buying an RV, but all that could be considered an "investment"...

cheers and thanks again for the warm welcome,
Matt

Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
Hey all,

just wanted to keep you updated with my recent progress to plan the trip. I came to find that even with a B1 visa I might not get a US drivers license which in return will triple the vehicle insurance costs I'll have to expect.
Furthermore I learned that with a decent sized class A there comes the need for a toad as -due to the distances- a bicycle just won't do it...

So I'm also looking into the class C and class B sectors at the moment. Came to find that the 99 Dodge Explorer vans are quite nice. However I'm not yet sure if I can cope with that really limited amount of space.
Probably I'll no nevertheless travel to the US in March and perhaps start with renting an RV first. Unfortunately the rental costs of 100 to 200USD a day are pretty high, so I'm not sure how long I'll be enjoying spending all that money...
I know that at first I'd have to spend much more for buying an RV, but all that could be considered an "investment"...

cheers and thanks again for the warm welcome,
Matt
as I had told you before , there is the option of the LLC limited company , from Montana , which put you as the chairman of the board , there is no sales for the company so no income tax , and you can insure from your home country (my insurance is $350 per year from canada) , as well as Good Sam offers insurance , they quoted me the same price as in my home country.
you could also apply for an international licence , I did the first time I went to Europe ,
there are older b and c units you could buy for cheap , personally I would stay away from ford , never really had any good luck with any i have owned , a B van would get much better fuel mileage than a class A , but a lot less comfort but that would be up to you and your lifestyle , 30 years ago I had a B conversion , but at 63 I like the creature comforts more and hate having to take down the kitchen table to make my bed or when the wife sleeps and I wake up at 6 am and have to sit in the drivers seat until she gets up
renting for $200 + a day plus rental insurance and getting a plain jane C class Rv as I have seen some of the rentals , at $ 6000 a month could rent some damn fine hotels and rent a Cadillac to tour or a cheaper Lux car and still eat out , or buy a b van , many trails of thought , something to consider is some RV parks don't allow older units to rent there , as they feel it makes their park look ratty .
I live in the Rocky mountains in the west of Canada in Alberta , about 120 miles from British Columbia and 500 miles north of Montana , right beside (10 moles) a huge national park and several provincial parks within a 30 mile radius , with lakes for swimming and fishing ,( no sharks mate) and live close (4miles)from the scenic route to Alaska , hwy 40 , actually I drive the hwy every day and see all kind of animals and mountains and lakes , makes a nice drive to work.
come stay in the yard (11 acres)for a week and tour the area if you get this way , we drag race in Edmonton in the summer (May to September) with my 8 second roadster and sneak in a holiday or three in the winter , it gets damn cold here in winter (Oct to April)

Old 10-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Matt_RV-

Here's a new iRV2 thread that may interest you:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/44-st...th-266184.html

Mark
Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You might want to take a look at the B plus MH
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
This most important thing about your decision is....

Never say "I wish I had..."
nor the other extreme "Hold my beer and watch this!"

So make your plan, be flexible and enjoy it...

I took a chance and a job and worked overseas a LONG time ago - cherished memories and opened my eyes to the world way before the "iternets"

If you are in the DFW area - holler at us, you never know what might be available !
Old 10-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #20

alright, got news! Thanks to the advise of roadster27 and some other members here, I looked into the creation and legality of establishign a Montana LLC for the purpose of owning the vehicles. This will come to around 300 to 400USD initial fees and from then on ends up in only very low annual bills. As the vehicle I am looking for will be older than 11 years, Montana issues permanent license plates, so renewing the license will not be necessary (one time cost about 240USD).
For registering and titling the vehicle, insurance will not be necessary, that'll give me the freedom to choose and perhaps only insure the vehicles for the time I'm actually using them. I couldn't yet find a European insurance agency that would provide insurance, so I'll have to stick with a US insurance. However I got a few promising addresses from where I requested some quote estimations.

I'll keep you updated!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #21

Matt, California is issuing licenses to anyone that applies. After that just travel to what ever state you want and exchange your California for that states license.
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #22

the problem with the license is that every state probably will issue a license, but according to what I have read, these licenses may only be valid up until the permission to stay expires. With a B1 tourist visa that would be 6 months after arrival.
So I could get a license, but it would only be valid for 6 months at max. I don't mind getting a US drivers license and going through the tests, my English should be sufficient and having a European CDL I have lots of driving experience. But I really want to avoid having to get a new license every year...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the benefit of getting a separate US/State driver's license?

When traveling abroad we would use an Int'l Driver's Permit (IDP) - issued based on a current license...would expect the same to apply for a person from outside the US to operate a motor vehicle in the US:

They are very easy to obtain:
International Driving Permits

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #24

the benefit of the US license is the insurance costs. Up to now I could only get an offer from Progressive (based on intl. license) and the offer is two times as much, compared to an equivalent offer with a US license. (about 2500USD/year basic liabilitiy for a 16year old Diesel RV).
The same coverage would come about 1200USD/year in case I could provide a US license to Progressive. Probably other insurance companies could even quote cheaper, but they all ask me to provide a valid US license or will not insure at all.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
the benefit of the US license is the insurance costs. Up to now I could only get an offer from Progressive (based on intl. license) and the offer is two times as much, compared to an equivalent offer with a US license. (about 2500USD/year basic liabilitiy for a 16year old Diesel RV).
The same coverage would come about 1200USD/year in case I could provide a US license to Progressive. Probably other insurance companies could even quote cheaper, but they all ask me to provide a valid US license or will not insure at all.
I was talking to Good Sam's Club and they offered me insurance , when I told them I was from Canada , they had no problem and quoted me insurance for a motorhome similar to what it costs me in Canada , $350 , full coverage , $500 deductible
give it a try , what have you got to lose
all i have is a toll free number , might not work from Oz , 800-234-3450
goodsamclub.com should work tho
I am a deluxe member , tell them i sent you , or give them my email address dragracer@ymail.com

roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote