Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Another new guy.

Yea, I`m a new guy here. I bought a 1984 26' Cobra class c rv last weekend, but there was just one problem, it didn`t make it home.

On the way home it broke down, and cost me $600 dollars to have it towed to a shop. As of right now, I am still waiting to hear from the repair shop, but I think either the alternator or the voltage regulator went out.

I am thinking its the alternator, because when it died the batteries were dead and it would not turn over, it acted like a dead battery.

So, that`s my story so far.
cobra 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the world of RVS. I hope that when you bought your MH you allowed some money for repairs��. Unfortunately most MH seem to wear out with little for way in mileage on them.
Hope your MH turns out to be a great time for you.

Take your time when you get it home and check everything out. Easier to repair at home than out in the boonies.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Welcome to the world of RVS. I hope that when you bought your MH you allowed some money for repairs��. Unfortunately most MH seem to wear out with little for way in mileage on them.
Hope your MH turns out to be a great time for you.

Take your time when you get it home and check everything out. Easier to repair at home than out in the boonies.
I did have some extra, but between the tow bill and the repair, there will be little money left once I get it home, get it registered and insured.

The two things that I know that need repair is the heater, no idea what`s wrong with it. The hot water heater was new, but it froze and split the tank. Maybe I can find a replacement tank for it ?.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Sorry to hear about your trouble
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have heard of places that will weld your tank but that should be treated as temporary as the reaction in the hot water tank will corrode the weld within
a year or two.
The heater manual can usually be found on line. Get the model and type it into a search engine and look for a trouble shooting quide. Some of the older models had a manual lit pilot light.
Terry
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36S AKA The Bus.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
I have heard of places that will weld your tank but that should be treated as temporary as the reaction in the hot water tank will corrode the weld within
a year or two.
The heater manual can usually be found on line. Get the model and type it into a search engine and look for a trouble shooting quide. Some of the older models had a manual lit pilot light.
Terry
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36S AKA The Bus.
I wouldn`t even try and have this tank welded, the split in the tank is about six inches across. better off to just replace it.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To avoid future large tow bills a emergency road service would be a good thing. Coach Net and Good Sam are the two most popular RV specific.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #8

I just had to use GoodSam roadside service when the front 4 year old tire blew up. Very good service.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #9

Just a quick heads-up, check for water damage and mold around the tank and anywhere the water mite have run when it split. Also check all of your plumbing before you pressurize it or you may find other serious leaks the hard way. And you may want to check/repair other systems too; would recommend doing so before register/insure/use. You can have a lot of fun, but only if you don't get stranded away from home. Hope the free advice is helpful, wish I had gotten the same when I bought mine.
azmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Hopefully it will turn out to be something low cost!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #11

I got a call from the repair shop today, and the rv is fixed. It was a bad voltage regulator. But while its already at the shop I having them change the differential oil, and do a tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, oil and filter.