GREETINGS TO ALL!!! I'm new to the whole motor home/camping world. I had been debating a purchase for strictly for recreational use for the last Huntsville to Birmingham Al. the problem is that i just had my wife change jobs 1.5 years ago and she just got her masters degree in may and a pretty good job in her field in august. so we wont be moving to bham. The logical solution was to go ahead and purchase something i could live in full time and she drive down every now and then. and i drive up to Huntsville 2-3 nights a week rather than 7. I found and purchased a 2001 40' national islander and got a pretty good deal on it. we will be taking it to Texas twice a year California once a year and a couple of weekend getaways sprinkled in here and there. anyone with experience with this coach please feel free to shoot some info my way. the coach is in great shape but i have come up with a list of upgrades id like to make pretty soon. they include:
1. changing out the crt tv that is off centered with a centered 32 lcd. ive got a buddy that runs the shop class at local tech school and welcomes the project.
2. changing out the blue theme including carpet and valances. maybe going hardwood. though i heard that the slide would streak up the hardwoods
3. adding a 40" led tv to the area revealed when the slide is exteded. a quick measurement look to be about 2.75" from wall to wall. and about 41" wide. with todays led tv's topping out at around 2.25" with mount, i think that would be really nice and add to the ambiance.
4. change out the dash mounted 7" rear view camera with a color model for improved viewing.
5. adding a washer/dryer combo unit. i was told the coach has the hookups but unit was removed in favor of shelving. any preferences, pros/ cons of units.
6. changing all the gold accents like cabinet pulls, lighting fixtures and shower in favor of silver.
Thanks in advance and again, I'm looking forward to making new friends and meeting other motor home enthusiasts. from a quick look around i can tell there's a wealth of knowledgeable, helpful fans around here..