Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question

My girlfriend and I are planning on buying a Class A 30-36 feet, want to spend close to $30K. I think we are going to go to Quartzite in Jan. and look there. How do we decide on which MH is long enough?
Cary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Best bet between now and January would be to rent one. Take it out for a weekend and see how you like living in it. Start with one at the shorter end of your range (you said 30') and work up from there if that one's too small.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
The floorplan will guide you more than the length. In the $30k price range, make sure everything works as you will be looking at some older coaches.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #4

We just bought but were looking off and on for a few years. 2 years ago I noticed much lower prices around Quartzite but the last 8 to 12 months, prices are pretty even. I think there is more inventory in Quartzite but prices are low across the board now. Here’s an example of a good deal on a very entry level A class around here (San Antonio / Austin aera). http://www.springbranchrv.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09018671X10K6K2010J6I29I5 4JPMQ5627R0&veh=1847111
I looked at this one just because it was so inexpensive. Like most Bounders of this age it’s a bit faded on the outside but inside it is absolutely perfect. Nicer than some 2005’s we looked at. You could pick this up for I bet 14-grand…15 tops. Has new tires, bullet proof 460. No slides but you could drive it for a couple years and probably only loose a grand or two. I had a C class with a 460 and they will go many many miles before they need much major work.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #5

We were in the same position a few months ago, looking for 30 ft and ending up with a 35 because of the floor plan. We just completed a 2600 mile trip though the middle Appalachions and never felt too long. When in doubt my navigator/ look out/ wife got out and gave me guidance. Great time.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah yes, the quandry of what to buy/ how much to spend! I struggled with this question for almost three years before buying something! I knew we wanted a class A, researched all the companies/ models/ floorplans, looked at literally thousands of pictures on the internet. To say it had become an obsession would be an understatement (ask the wife!). I also was looking in the $30k range but was quickly disillousioned at what I was finding. We looked at several older pre-slide units that were in fine shape, but when we started looking at ones with one or two slides, we decided that was the way to go. Now to find one in that price range, it either had a whole bunch of miles or was in really tough shape. All the advice we got at the time was to get it right the first time verses buy something cheap and trade up later. We went with Winnebago for quality, affordability and customer service/ reputation. We had to go up into the $50k range, but the 35u floorplan with two slides and 19,000 miles, we felt the extra money was worth it. Six months and 3,000 miles later we couldn't be happier with our decision. That was our experience in getting into the game, but everybody has to do what's right for themselves. Good luck with your search and keep us posted!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

Around here, and I’m sure its similar in other places, the big dealers prices were considerably higher than private or consignment lots. All that inventory on their books I’m sure make their profit margins much tighter. They tended to “suggest” buying from them was a much better choice because they check all the units over and know they are good to go. However, a quick look suggests that’s not necessarily the case. We looked at quite a number of used at dealers and found lots of questionable potential problems they couldn’t respond to. Their definition of “real nice” was not the same as mine. The dealers all push the extended warranty which might be for some people but not us. I do all or most of my own mechanical work and simply do risk management when choosing not to buy a warranty. The warranty gets pretty darn expensive so I’ll take the chances. Might end up with a 5-grand unexpected major failure but that’s the cost of the warranty so really a wash. We finally bought from a small town RV repair / service shop that sells a number of consignments. Units are not on their books so their margins are not as tight and family business so they just fell a bit more trustworthy. Found them to be quite honest. If an owner was asking too much, they didn’t hesitate to tell you. If you have questions, they know what they are talking about. So far so good.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your contributions to helping us decide which MH to buy. This months candidates are a 1999 Rexhall Aerbus- gas, 32', 53K mi and $29,800. Well maintained everything works.
The second one is a 1998 National Tradewinds diesel. 36.5 ', 71,000 mi and $32,000. Going to see this one this weekend. Thoughts comments experience with either of these coaches?
Cary
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #9

Thumbs up Mortgage Comparison

Hi Friends,
Excellent site, keep up the good work,i just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your website and your comment will surely help me .Thanks you.
---------------------------------
Mortgage Comparison