Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Ava

Hi Every one. I was looking on line to see how much it costs to buy a rv for my grandparents. We are losing our home now and I thought maybe my cousins and I could chip in and buy something, but from what I see it will be quite some time. My grandfather is blind in one eye and losing his sight in the other eye, he still works, he's a landscaper, but it's getting hard for him and without health insurance no one wants to treat him. And business is not that good since the economy tanked. (as my mema says) My grandmother is disabled now. She also has worked hard her whole life and is now disabled. She worked 3 jobs to keep a roof over everyones head. It isn't fair. My real grandfather died from melanoma when he was only 33, so I never knew him. My aunt that lives with us is also very sick and having seizures and the doctors don't know why. She has a baby. My other aunt works, but it's not enough. My cousin is only 5. The rest of us are older but don't make enough either. I clean houses and babysit. You see we are teenagers, so don't make much. So my grandparents have 7 children and the other 5 don't live with us and help as much as they can, but have their own bills and families. But I figured if the few of us teens could save enough we could buy a 5th wheel big enough to live in full time. But I would like to thank you for letting me (us) look at your sight. We had no idea they cost so much money. But when we have enough money to buy one, it would be like heaven not having all the bills from an underwater house and my grandmother crying that they getting ready to take our home. Thanks for letting me rant, I don't get to do that.
Ava10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Ave, I suggest you look into the government aid programs.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc
Welcome Ave, I suggest you look into the government aid programs.
Agree. And only fair since the they are looking into us.

Seriously - Seek help from Social Security and any other sources you can think of. Church should have a list of other resources.
Good luck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear of your family's troubles, but in my opinion an RV should be the last thing you are thinking about right now. How about taking the money you would spend on an RV and try to get the mortgage paid down instead? Best of luck to you.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ava! Welcome to IRV2! We're really glad that you decided to join the group!

So sorry about your family problems. These are rough times for a lot of people. Hope you can make things better for your grandparents.

Good luck and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey and welcome
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Thanks for most of the warm comments. As for paying the mortgage, the servicer said not to pay it and modify. They said you have to be behind to modify. Now they won't modify because the investors said no and won't except anything but full payment. The government services are only food stamps. My grandmother does get Social Security. My grandfather still works, but business is slow. He needs an MRI and it's looking like back and neck surgery for him. I was looking at RVs that need work. I found one and the asking price started at $1500 and now down to $600. A Jaco 30' 5th wheel, dual axle with brakes, but it's a commercial gooseneck like a tractor trailer. hitch. Of course it needs work but is dry. I would like to make it for all weather and green. Much cheaper living than this house in NY. Propane, solar, and wind. The house is upside down and under water and will never be paid off. We offer them $250 and waiting to hear if they accept it. It would be cheaper to live kind of off the grid then pumping money into something that is not worth no where near what is owed. My grandfather hopefully will be able to still work in ny and go south when the season is over. He's a landscaper. No house payments, no taxes, low utilities. So as far as looking for help, no one is going to help with these back payments. Other than that they have no other debt. They paid off all credit cards and back bills and utilities. And let's not forget the medical bills that they paid cash for. They can now pay the mortgage payment, but not the arrears and the investors won't do the principle balance reduction, like should of been done the first time. So that's it. Buying a trailer and gutting an already started project is still cheaper than keeping a white elephant money pit that will never be paid off. It is sad because it is our home, not just a house. And no equity was not spent frivously for all those who will have that mean comment. So for now I would like to pick your brains on how to refurbish and where to start. I would assume the roof. Most of the panelling is gone. What is the best insulation for all weather and where to buy it. Does anyone have pics or directions on doing a whole trailer. Thanks so much again.
Ava10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Agree. And only fair since the they are looking into us.

Seriously - Seek help from Social Security and any other sources you can think of. Church should have a list of other resources.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear of your family's troubles, but in my opinion an RV should be the last thing you are thinking about right now. ...
Good advice above. I don't think an RV is a good option. They can be a worse money pit than you can imagine. No idea what part of the country you're in, but there has to be local agencies that can help folks in you predicament. You might see if there's a Habitat for Humanity group in your vicinity. With their help and sweat equity, many folks around the country are now sleeping under their own roof.

Try to enlist the aid of an objective third party not involved in the problem. Sometimes when you're up to your neck in an issue, long term answers are elusive. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why does your profile say you live in Glendale, SC and then you write about living in a house in NY?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava10 View Post
...So for now I would like to pick your brains on how to refurbish and where to start. I would assume the roof. Most of the panelling is gone. What is the best insulation for all weather and where to buy it. Does anyone have pics or directions on doing a whole trailer. Thanks so much again.
You should check out the various sections of the forum for the type of RV and systems that you need help with and post your specific questions there. This is the new member introduction area, so your questions about refurbing won't get much response here. Good luck to you.