Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Smile BF got me excited about RVing... saving up and researching older models

I am in the military and just got back from Afghanistan looking at a forced early retirement due to service-connected injuries. I came home to find I no longer had a home/rental property, a marriage, personal belongings, decent credit, or custody of my daughter.

I was having a hard time moving forward with my life until one day, one of my best friends growing up, who I had lost contact with for 20 years, looked me up on Facebook and introduced me to the idea of RVing as a life filled with fun, freedom, and flexibility. I am still on active duty while getting evaluated/treated for my injuries, and it was costing me a fortune see my daughter every time I was able to take a little leave. As strange as it may sound, looking for an RV has given me purpose and hope.

I am now on the hunt for a classy class A (or possibly a larger class C) around $10,000. I am open to finding an older one I can fix up/update (as long as it doesn't have too much water damage or a funny smell). I am hoping to find one with a nice exterior that has a clean, cozy interior and ample storage that feels light, open and airy on the inside. I don't necessarily need any slide-outs. I am open to hearing advice/experience from people who know about older RV's and what brands to get/not get.

I saw a 1996 fleetwood southwind for $7,500 with a floor plan I just loved... nice kitchen, big tub, a hallway leading to the bedroom (so it felt more like a house) and a huge closet with a space where I could put a stackable washer/dryer, but it was one of the first ones I saw, and I did not snatch it up in time ... now I hear that fleetwood went out of business so it might have been hard to find parts/get service, etc., so maybe it was for the best, but now none of the ones I have been seeing lately seem to measure up. But I am doggedly determined to look for as long as it takes to find exactly what I want.

Looking forward to meeting/hearing from all y'all... thanks for reading my post!

rvingisforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Thanks you for your service to our country. Hope you can enjoy the site as well. You'll meet plenty of fine people here with a wealth of knowledge. I would surf around the forum and post some questions in the Class A forum along with maybe another and just ask some general questions. As far as Fleetwood, I have not heard of them going out of business. They build plenty of different models in their lineup. They may have quit making the Southwind I'm not sure but they still build the Bounder which is probably their most popular model. Well anyway have fun shopping and hope you find the rv that fits your needs the best. Keep us informed and don't be shy to ask questions. Good Luck!!!

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and Thank you for your service
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Welcome and also thank you for your service. When looking for an older MH be sure that there are no leaks or if there were that they were fixed and no further damage was done. If you are handy with tools you should be able to get a good deal and work on it to improve it and save money. If you have questions just ask and this site will assist you in your search. Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome. Good luck with your search...and Fleetwood is very much still in business. Fleetwood RV
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Welcome to the forum. Keep your chin up, things will get better. Thank you for your service and good luck...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Hi and thank you for your sevice to our country. RVing is lots of fun and you'll meet many friends. Any info you need just post your question and we'll all help all we can.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Carolina Campers
Welcome to the forums. I'm fairly new here myself but I've learned a lot from the many great forum posts. I bought and drive an orphan RV myself (Thor is still around, just not the same Thor that built mine) and I don't lose any sleep over it and if I found a good deal it wouldn't stop me from buying another orphan. Take your time, do the research and you will find a nice RV in your price range.
1995 Thor Residency 3500
Amateur Radio W4KTL
ARRL Member
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Thanks for your service to your country, sir. The right rig for you will come along, and you will be able to see the country you served for so long. There are many veterans on this forum, you are in good company.

Things will get better for you in time. In the meantime, look for that rig that fits your needs, ask for help on this forum if you need it, and press on. God bless.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2, wishing you all the best .
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Master of Disaster

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your troubles... hopefully the RV will make a positive difference.

My best advice is... condition condition condition when it comes to an RV. You want the floorplan you like, sure, but issues around conditions can get VERY expensive.

But feel free to ask advice, and I suspect there's always someone local to you that can spend some time helping you learn about RVs!

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thank you for your service. So sorry for your injuries and other problems. But have faith things will get better. Keep us posted on your progress in buying a MH.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome back and thank you for your service. Most motorhomes use the same appliances from the same makers so do not be afraid of "orphan brands"-I have one. And there are even motorhome wrecking yards. Main thing to look for is leaking water damage. I like the older MT (motorhomes) as they have more-style? We all can be more help if we knew what part of the USA you are in.

87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote